SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun Recoil Pad / New shotguns

Blackface Charlie

Picked up 2 shotguns this week----both used.   My second model 12 as the first one didn't function as stated and an older like new Huglu coach gun.   Took them both out this morning for some practice shooting.  

Model 12 worked flawlessly. 

Coach gun----first time I have ever shot a double barrel.  Seems to swing open real easy with no rounds or unfired rounds but it's pretty stiff after I fire.  Any suggestions on how to get it to open easier? 

Next---I have a screw in my right shoulder where they relocated the bicep tendon.  After two boxes of shells I was pretty sore.   Looking for recoil pad recommendations.

Thanks

Several things can cause a double not to open easily.

Chambers dirty or damaged.

Extractor retaining screw too tight or extractor bent.

Firing pins mushroomed or otherwise dragging on the primer.

Kick-eez recoil pad.

Is it legal to use a Graco recoil system on a coach gun?

27 minutes ago, Blackface Charlie said:

Coach gun----first time I have ever shot a double barrel.  Seems to swing open real easy with no rounds or unfired rounds but it's pretty stiff after I fire.  Any suggestions on how to get it to open easier? 

In addition to the other suggested causes, ammo can also do it. I had some Winchester shot shells (cheap from Walmart) that would expand the metal part and lock up the gun. Had to break it over my knee to open in some cases.

28 minutes ago, Blackface Charlie said:

Coach gun----first time I have ever shot a double barrel.  Seems to swing open real easy with no rounds or unfired rounds but it's pretty stiff after I fire.  Any suggestions on how to get it to open easier

I'm making the assumption that it's a "hammerless" double.  If correct,  then the hammers (hidden inside) recock on opening.   The effort to cock the hammer springs is significant depending on how heavy the springs are. Coach gun barrel length makes the job harder because of less weight to work with. 

33 minutes ago, Blackface Charlie said:

Next---I have a screw in my right shoulder where they relocated the bicep tendon.  After two boxes of shells I was pretty sore.   Looking for recoil pad recommendations.

Just don't put it against your shoulder. 

1 minute ago, Flash said:

In addition to the other suggested causes, ammo can also do it. I had some Winchester shot shells (cheap from Walmart) that would expand the metal part and lock up the gun. Had to break it over my knee to open in some cases.

Shot a box and a half of new AA and a2/3rds a box of mystery factory rounds someone gave me.   No difference between the different rounds

Pull both triggers and then close it. This should close it without cocking the hammers. Is it now easy to open, or more like after is has been fired?

6 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'm making the assumption that it's a "hammerless" double.  If correct,  then the hammers (hidden inside) recock on opening.   The effort to cock the hammer springs is significant depending on how heavy the springs are. Coach gun barrel length makes the job harder because of less weight to work with. 

Your assumption is correct.   Maybe the spring I a bit stiff. 

5 minutes ago, Blackface Charlie said:

Just playing with it---seems as though it's a little still at the hinge.   Not broke in?   Maybe some grease??

Get some snap caps and practice until your wife threatens to divorce you.  Then take it to the range and shoot a flat of shells.  I bet it'll be broken in and open nicely. 

1 minute ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

What AA load? There are several. If is not the Low Noise/Loe Recoil loaf it is like several other factory loads. The load you want should say 26 grams of shot at 980 FPS. 

its AA but not the light loads.   bought what was available at the time.   You saying that with the light loads the gun will open easier?

1 minute ago, Blackface Charlie said:

its AA but not the light loads.   bought what was available at the time.   You saying that with the light loads the gun will open easier?

No. I’m saying they’ll be easier on your shoulder.

1 minute ago, Blackface Charlie said:

No. I’m saying they’ll be easier on your shoulder.

I like grind-to-fit KickEze or LimbSaver or Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pads.   Beware that the LimbSaver has some "sticky" compound to the pad, that can cause the pad in hot weather to stick to stuff - like carpet or carry case lining.  So, I usually use KickEze pads.

First grind-to-fit pad I did required me to refinish stock.  After once or twice, you learn the tricks to install it and not nick the original finish.  But, once you cut any wood off the stock, the "prefit" pad is not going to "post-trim" fit because butt stocks taper toward the grip.

If you have a gunsmith install the pad, be aware of whether you are lengthening or shortening the pull by putting pad on.   Quite common for cowboy shooters to want a shorter length of pull, and putting a pad on means you trim the original stock even more to get to that shorter finished pull length.

Good luck, GJ

Also a lot of stocks are cut so they aim a bit lower when shouldered.  The bottom not plumb with the top when looking at it from the side.  This is because we're shooting at targets on the ground and not in the air.  Yes, I know we do shoot now and then at flyers but most are ground shots.

This it's only about 2-3° but since I don't remember breakfast, don't hold me to that

Archived