SASS Wire Forum

Boot Laces.....Can They Be Modified Safely

Cypress Sun

Buy longer laces or shorter boots. LOL

Think if you cut 2 laces 1/2 the length you want.  A simple square knot at the bottom should take care of the problem.   Did this to repair a broken lace when I couldn't get to town     GW

23 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Think if you cut 2 laces 1/2 the length you want.  A simple square knot at the bottom should take care of the problem.   Did this to repair a broken lace when I couldn't get to town     GW

Actually!  You should use a "Sheet Bend" knot to splice two lengths of any kind of cord, rope, or shoe lace.  The square knot has repeatedly proven unreliable as a splicing knot!!!  Ask any Boy Scout who has his Knot Tying badge!!  :lol: ;)

Its a well known and scientific fact on the LEFT BOOT,  if you cross the left leading side over the right side,

you will have a little extra string left over at the end to enhance your tying knot.

On the RIGHT BOOT, cross the right leading side over the left to allow for a longer string.

Make sure you are facing South when you do this.

Trust me..... it works.      

Hey, I don't make this stuff up.

..........Widder

2 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Actually!  You should use a "Sheet Bend" knot to splice to lengths of any kind of cord, rope, or shoe lace.  The square knot has repeatedly proven unreliable as a splicing knot!!!  Ask any Boy Scout who has his Knot Tying badge!!  :lol: ;)

Hoping he's not planning on hanging himself or anything else valuable.  Just tying his boots.  And YES the sheet bend is a superior knot.   GW

3 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Actually!  You should use a "Sheet Bend" knot to splice two lengths of any kind of cord, rope, or shoe lace.  The square knot has repeatedly proven unreliable as a splicing knot!!!  Ask any Boy Scout who has his Knot Tying badge!!  :lol: ;)

I've used the sheet bend knot quite a few times. Tied a granny knot more than a few times. Square knot has never worked well for me.

If I tie a leather lace with a cord type lace, is it still safe or will the leather shrink after getting wet and possibly squeeze my toes off? 

9 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I've used the sheet bend knot quite a few times. Tied a granny knot more than a few times. Square knot has never worked well for me.

If I tie a leather lace with a cord type lace, is it still safe or will the leather shrink after getting wet and possibly squeeze my toes off? 

Possibly :D

not sure about laces , but I put helium in my heals and soles to be lighter on my feet!

Cypress Sun!  The leather will likely stretch while wet to the point of being loose. It will shrink a little  if allowed to dry without stress.

The sheet bend knot will allow the cord to compensate for stretch or shrinkage of the wet leather, but as to the leather shrinking enough to squeeze off your toes, it would likely depend on how long the leather portion is and how much or little you move about! :rolleyes: :unsure:

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Is this a joke? :unsure:

Actually, the information offered here is quite serious!! <_<

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

WTH have you been drinking?

I will buy you the laces of your choice. :lol:

Ones that fit. AND then we will drink a beer in the parking lot. The location of the parking lot does not matter. Your choice.

Waimea

PS I suspect laces don't really MEAN laces. :ph34r:

WHY!! Wiamea!! What would lead you to believe that sort of thing??

OF COURSE we’re talking about laces!! :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Check the OP. The only reactions are the laughing emoticons. That is why I asked. Maybe I could have said, "is this serious."

Check out Wiamea's post too.

Ask Cypress Sun!!  He’s the one that needs longer boot laces!!:lol: :lol:

1 hour ago, Waimea said:

WTH have you been drinking?

I will buy you the laces of your choice. :lol:

Ones that fit. AND then we will drink a beer in the parking lot. The location of the parking lot does not matter. Your choice.

Waimea

PS I suspect laces don't really MEAN laces. :ph34r:

Location of the parking lot does matter...If he needs to hang the equipment, don't want to pi$$ all over them laces...

Texas Lizard

9 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Is this a joke? :unsure:

Smokestack suggested that someone start a thread about boot laces.........so I did.;) So, yes it's a joke but there is a lot of good information here.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Smokestack suggested that someone start a thread about boot laces.........so I did.;) So, yes it's a joke but there is a lot of good information here.

This is certainly a much more productive discussion than the post that suggestion was made in.

My cowboy boots don't use laces; for my work boots I prefer Kevlar laces, they last a lot longer.B)

PLUS ONE .... or .... TWO to Allie Mo.  I are glad it are in fun as I are Gasterflabbed.  Sorta like walking into Starbucks and ordering a "non-fat, skim milk, decaf latte."  WHY BOTHER  :rolleyes:

Hi Allie B)

I don't remember you posting "Why Bother."  My sweetie and I were in a Starbucks when a gal ordered that ....... I looked at my sweetie and said "Well .... Why Bother!!" and my sweetie immediately shushed me.  Thought I might insult the poor wimp.  :rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

A joke would start something like this….......Two Cowboys walked into a saloon and ordered Appletini’s

Thanks, Black Star Brother!! :lol:

Archived