SASS Wire Forum

Well I Got My Wish - Snow

Last week we got about 6". Then, the sun came, after that the rain came, and it was gone. The only problem was a huge tree blocking our way out. Hubby cleared most of it as the county does not maintain that road.

Then last night we got another 6+". Both of our driveways are blocked by trees. They make a rough circle, one is paved, the other is gravel. Hubby knocked the snow off the arched pines, they rose up, and the gravel road is clear. The tree on the paved drive is a huge oak. Hubby said it would take days for him to clear.

I will never say or write that snow is no trouble here. At least we will have a plethora of fire wood.

Here are some photos that I took from the front and back porches.

February 2019-01.JPG

February 2019-02.JPG

February 2019-03.JPG

Nice shots. 

I hope you have a short driveway to the maintained county road. 

I’m up here on the peninsula side 13 miles as the crow flies to Seattle.  It’s funny how much 2 inches of snow impacted things last Monday...and now 8” plus 1-3 coming each day this week....I don’t expect to go out.  We live in a quiet area of acreages, but snow shovels are unheard of so I am a popular guy....

Making a trip to grocery store today....if it was like last week I’ll need armor and weapons to get through the store...

37 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Nice shots. 

I hope you have a short driveway to the maintained county road. 

Unfortunately, it is about a half mile and two unmaintained roads to the county road. Two years ago one of the two got badly rutted by the rain.

Hubby went down to the county road on the ATV and said it was bad because you can't tell where the ruts are.

The sun is somewhat out and the snow is falling off the trees. However, the weather service said more snow is forecast tonight. Luckily, I went to Costco and the grocery before the snow.

The storms due at mid week and into next weekend are supposed to be record breaking or so they are predicting down here.

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Unfortunately, it is about a half mile and two unmaintained roads to the county road. Two years ago one of the two got badly rutted by the rain.

Hubby went down to the county road on the ATV and said it was bad because you can't tell where the ruts are.

The sun is somewhat out and the snow is falling off the trees. However, the weather service said more snow is forecast tonight. Luckily, I went to Costco and the grocery before the snow.

We had a bad one years ago, on a moose hunt, at our camp on Depot Lake, near Deux Riviere, Ontario.

Six miles in on an abandoned logging road, with a flat bed trailer, pulled by a Massey Ferguson tractor.

Wind storm swept through and dropped trees all down the road.

We had 12 hunters and 6 or 7 chainsaws and it still took us three days to cut our way out. 

Funny, we still talk about that trip, with nostalgia.

I guess it's the horror shows we remember best.

Ms. Allie Mo,

Snow can make a bland landscape turn into a breath taking wonderland.

Having to live with and deal with it is another thing! :o

It did make for phenomenal photos which you have shared with us. :)

Bless hubby for his fortitude in maintaining the property for your safety.

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

We had a bad one years ago, on a moose hunt, at our camp on Depot Lake, near Deux Riviere, Ontario.

Six miles in on an abandoned logging road, with a flat bed trailer, pulled by a Massey Ferguson tractor.

Wind storm swept through and dropped trees all down the road.

We had 12 hunters and 6 or 7 chainsaws and it still took us three days to cut our way out. 

Funny, we still talk about that trip, with nostalgia.

I guess it's the horror shows we remember best.

Good thing you had chain saws with you.

Your camper will certainly stand out in a campground with that cat on it. I like it! :D

1 hour ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

I believe she has no choice in that, Miz Calamity. cutting downed trees is some pretty hard work:rolleyes::o:blush:

Been there, done that, gave back the t-shirt.

4 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Good thing you had chain saws with you.

THOSE are something we always have with us; Chainsaws for wood and to aid in cutting up moose, (one with a good chain, with the oil reservoir filled with vegetable oil); a MRSB* for each boat or hunting group and Coleman lanterns for working after dark and getting home after someone drops one just at dusk, miles from camp. 

* MRSB = Moose Recovery System Bag, because they are usually down in the dirtiest, wettest, muddiest, most awkward place possible and have to be carried out on pack frames after being cut into large commercial cuts.

8 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I walked down the driveway and field and took some photos of the trees that fell over the paved driveway.

February 2019 B-02.JPG

February 2019 B-04.JPG

February 2019 B-06.JPG

You have some work ahead of you!!

17 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Your camper will certainly stand out in a campground with that cat on it. I like it! :D

Yep! The Bobcat and that it is ridiculously small

14 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

You have some work ahead of you!!

Moi! Surely you jest.

We didn't have snow last night and I was able to get out of the gravel drive this morning to go to an 8:00 am appointment. So, who needs a paved drive.

When I got home, Hubby yelled up the hill that he didn't think I'd make it up that hill. It is really steep at the top. Harrumph! I didn't start driving yesterday. I didn't say that.

He and someone else are down the drive running chain saws. I think it may be a neighbor who came up on his ATV as I didn't see any vehicles.

Hubby is incorrigible. He should not be using chain saws, yet he does. He refuses to hire work done when he THINKS he can do it himself.

6 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

...Hubby is incorrigible. He should not be using chain saws, yet he does. He refuses to hire work done when he THINKS he can do it himself.

My 80 year old dad lives in an area where he frequently uses chainsaws. He sometimes has to. He enjoys it very much. However, chain saws being what they are and my 80 year old dad not being 40 any longer... all it takes is one mishap.  (And I have seen a chainsaw mishap and it was ugly.) Makes me nervous every time I know he's out there fiddling around with a large motorized cutting device.  I'd be happy to help him if he didn't live 15 hours away. 

By the way, he's that crazytough 80 year old man who still prefers shoveling snow although he has a perfectly good snow blower at his disposal. ;)  Good thing they've only had about 5' total snow so far this year.

My sister sent me this. It's at my cabin in northern Michigan. Made me homesick so we are leaving Friday night. Some trees down from the wind but the county cleared the road going in. We lose a lot of pine limbs when the snow at the top lets go and builds up going down. Nice fire in the spring when we clear the woods out around the place.

Wish we were closer Allie. I like cutting wood. For a while. Then I don't.

IMG_20190211_094237_01.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

My 80 year old dad lives in an area where he frequently uses chainsaws. He sometimes has to. He enjoys it very much. However, chain saws being what they are and my 80 year old dad not being 40 any longer... all it takes is one mishap.  (And I have seen a chainsaw mishap and it was ugly.) Makes me nervous every time I know he's out there fiddling around with a large motorized cutting device.  I'd be happy to help him if he didn't live 15 hours away. 

By the way, he's that crazytough 80 year old man who still prefers shoveling snow although he has a perfectly good snow blower at his disposal. ;)  Good thing they've only had about 5' total snow so far this year.

Hubby is a crazy tough 74 year old with peripheral neuropathy and no muscle control in his right hand. Of course, he is right handed. I don't know if Hubby would prefer a shovel to a snow blower. I write that as, in our early married years, I mowed the lawn with a push mower. I finally said it was his job. He bought a power mower. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

My sister sent me this. It's at my cabin in northern Michigan. Made me homesick so we are leaving Friday night. Some trees down from the wind but the county cleared the road going in. We lose a lot of pine limbs when the snow at the top lets go and builds up going down. Nice fire in the spring when we clear the woods out around the place.

Wish we were closer Allie. I like cutting wood. For a while. Then I don't.

Nice vacation spot, Slim!

I think your cutting wood philosophy echoes Hubby's. However, one of our neighbors loans him a wood splitter, which may prolong it.;)

I used to run a Chainsaw with 48 inch side bar ,,,,, Logging in B.C. Canada ....about 45 years ago ....

Now I think a 20 inch bar is a big Saw ...

For those that don't know a Side Bar ,,,, runs sideways instead of up and Down ....

These saws are used in felling large trees ...

Jabez Cowboy

19 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

THOSE are something we always have with us; Chainsaws for wood and to aid in cutting up moose, (one with a good chain, with the oil reservoir filled with vegetable oil); a MRSB* for each boat or hunting group and Coleman lanterns for working after dark and getting home after someone drops one just at dusk, miles from camp. 

* MRSB = Moose Recovery System Bag, because they are usually down in the dirtiest, wettest, muddiest, most awkward place possible and have to be carried out on pack frames after being cut into large commercial cuts.

That's one of the reasons I don't hunt large four-legged critters. I'm too lazy! 

Archived