SASS Wire Forum

Who Sells Loaded .45 Colt Rounds With Poly Coated Bullets?

David Balthazar

Who Sells Loaded .45 Colt Rounds With Poly Coated Bullets?

Want to reduce lead exposure and cleaning, so looking to buy for upcoming matches (and don't reload as of yet).

Also, not sure it exist unless one is reloading it personally...

Check with Georgia Arms.

BTW most all lead exposure in CAS comes from handling spent cases and cleaning same with a vibratory cleaner. Uncoated cast bullets are not really a source of lead contamination unless you put them in your mouth.

Best ways to minimize lead exposure is by washing your hands after handling spent cases and wet tumbling brass.  Also wash your hands before eating or drinking anything.

Be careful of ammunition sold by "personal reloaders"... the ammunition that I sell is professionally loaded by licensed munitions manufacturers and carries product liability insurance.  The cartridges that I sell are loaded with 200gr. RNFP hardcast lead, not coated, bullet, 4.5 gr. Clean Shot powder and a Federal primer.  You may email me at bulletsbyscarlett@gmail.com or call me at 843-833-0770 if I can be of help.

Hugs,

Scarlett

Thank you for the advice, and those are definitely sources--but when you fire pure lead lead particulate fills the air and is subject to inhalation (one CAS with high lead levels took to wearing a bandit mask, and it lowered his count by 1.5 points from an article IIRC). 

For my peace of mind, and since I will be keeping my fired shells, I am willing to pay the premium--but only if I can get 'em.

It's also ALL the other shooters firing that throw out the lead vapor-Not just you.

You'll have more lead on your boots-Than on your hands. Say nut'n of what's on your clothes.

Smoke a good cee-gar, and all will be 'rite' with the world.........^_^

OLG

Yes, so I avoid the line and watch the wind too ;)

I do plan on my own form of additional lead mitigation involving the boots, clothes, etc. 

Might not make a difference for these first few matches anyway since no one seems to sell loaded cartridges in .45 LC.

Isn't it kinda hard to 'avoid the line' if you help out as a spotter. :huh:

Take this from one who has been shooting and reloading for 50+ yrs.

Your biggest lead exposure is from indoor ranges and case cleaning with dry media.

Tumble with wet, and wash your hands often with a hand sanitizer. Wear a dust mask when you do this.

Have you even had a blood test to get a baseline for lead?

My last test came back at 12. 

OLG

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Isn't it kinda hard to 'avoid the line' if you help out as a spotter. :huh:

Take this from one who has been shooting and reloading for 50+ yrs.

Your biggest lead exposure is from indoor ranges and case cleaning with dry media.

Tumble with wet, and wash your hands often with a hand sanitizer. Wear a dust mask when you do this.

Have you even had a blood test to get a baseline for lead?

My last test came back at 12. 

OLG

+1

Get yourself some D-Lead wipes and don't stress over it.

D-Lead D-Wipe Disposable Towels - 150 towels Per Container, WT-151 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CF77Q3N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_X7iyCb7MMCHCA

In my basement where I reload I’ve got radon, asbestos floor tile and an asbestos popcorn ceiling. On a typical sized posse I’m breathing black powder smoke, smokeless powder smoke, cigarette smoke, cigar smoke, prairie dust and now apparently lead. I thought I quit drinkin’ for my health but it sounds like I’m doomed anyway.

There are many ways to die boys and one of them is not to live. I roll my own with coated bullets and wet tumble. Beyond that I just ain’t gonna worry about it.

I have had good luck with Choice Ammunition. Good price and pretty quick service. 

Jax T

2 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

Yes, so I avoid the line and watch the wind too ;)

I do plan on my own form of additional lead mitigation involving the boots, clothes, etc. 

Might not make a difference for these first few matches anyway since no one seems to sell loaded cartridges in .45 LC.

What's your secret on doing posse chores and still manage to avoid the line?

I am another one that powder coats his own bullets.  Also wet tumble but that's mostly because I love the look of the shiny brass (what can I say?) 

You could always shoot commerically loaded lead bullets at the beginning and save your brass.

then when reloading  you can buy the coated bullets from several sources.  

10 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

450fps-My spit travels faster..........:lol:

OLG

33 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

What's your secret on doing posse chores and still manage to avoid the line?

Well I've only been to one CAS shoot as a guest, and of my own volition spent time picking up and resetting the steel others had shot.  I will wear gloves in the future as well to pick up brass.  Also, if asked to spot, I will spot. 

Everyone has got their own style, and things they try to work around.  Myself, I have been exposed to a lot of live sudden gunfire, and of course indoor and outdoor ranges over the past 35 years, so I do prefer to be careful to wear good double hearing protection and decent wraparound glasses too. 

I am a commercial caster (and shooter) and I do not wear gloves or mask while working EXCEPT when handling spent brass, separating media (I don't wet tumble).  I have good ventilation in my shop. I have lead remover soap (by the gallon) and a fingernail/scrub brush that I use to wash/scrub my hands all the time before I eat, drink or touch my eyes, nose or mouth.  I run the timer, spot, reset targets and shoot 3+ times per month.  My lead level is 11-12. 

Lead exposure is a risk and mitigating that risk is primarily a matter of hygiene. Do what you will however, I caution against thinking that coated bullets and wet tumbling alone will significantly reduce exposure...

Welcome to the most fun EVER!!

Big hugs, 

Scarlett

Archived