SASS Wire Forum

How do I clean my hat brim?

Texas Brett

OK, it's my fault.  I gave up on my Marlins and bought a '73 with a Codymatic action job.  So now instead of ejecting shells to the side, they're ejecting up onto my hat brim.  Now my favorite Roy Rogers hat has black marks all over the brim.  How do I get that spent gunpowder off?

Texas Brett

2 minutes ago, Texas Brett said:

OK, it's my fault.  I gave up on my Marlins and bought a '73 with a Codymatic action job.  So now instead of ejecting shells to the side, they're ejecting up onto my hat brim.  Now my favorite Roy Rogers hat has black marks all over the brim.  How do I get that spent gunpowder off?

Texas Brett

Most western stores have hat cleaning brushes and some spray on cleaner. Works pretty good. 

I faced the same issue when I bought an expensive, custom silver belly hat and took it to a match. After getting it home and cleaned up, my favorite hat is now my "banquet hat."  My answer was to buy a 2nd silver belly hat, shoot every match with it and disregard the black streaks, considering them as adding character. 

I found hat cleaning sponges at my local western supply.  They pretty stiff and seemed to do a good job of cleaning the black half moons from my silver belly Stetson..   Time seemed to dry up the marks so they came out better.  That long white period I am going thru helps.    Bought another hat also.    GW

I have a silverbelly Tom Mix Stetson that I will wear occasionally. It has its share of stains and cartridge tracks. Took it to a reputable hat shop for some work a couple years back. He asked if I wanted it cleaned. I said  "NO, it took me thirty years to get it lookin' this good".

If you MUST clean the hat, get one of the sponges mentioned above. DO NOT buy the cheap ones sold at WalMart or some bargain store. Get them from reputable Western wear store or from a hat maker!!  It takes work and patience to do this properly.  The top side of the hat, (crown and brim) should be brushed in a clockwise direction, as this is the direction that most all hat bodies are originally finished in, and the bottom side "contrary clockerwise" as ol' Festus would say.  If you find that your silver belly or sand or other light color hat is more badly stained, you can sprinkle a little pure corn starch on it to lighten the stain and draw out any oils or grease from the stain.  Just sprinkle it on, scrub it a little, wait for a while, and then scrub again vigorously!!  Repeat as needed.

I've made many cowboys and cowgirls happy doing it this way!!

I only clean my  hats lightly when I can't tell what color they are anymore. If you can't smack your hat against something and a little dust flies, then it's not ready yet.

Archived