SASS Wire Forum

GAMM/BAMM Texican Rangers Update

Grouchy Spike

July, apologies for misleading you there.  We will shoot 8-round clips.  Gas checks recommended for the velocities used in GAMM.  The hy-tek coated bullets are claimed to be leaving no lead in the bore or gas port. 

For best performance with cast bullets, Clean the bore of all copper residue.  Then clean it again. And again. :rolleyes: You'll be surprised at how much copper can be sitting in the bore of some rifles.

Paper Patching?  Not familiar with that, think it's related to muzzle loaders? Can you patch when shooting semiautos? Never heard of paper patching M1 rounds. :wacko:  No fillers in the case either.

14 minutes ago, Grouchy Spike said:

July, apologies for misleading you there.  We will shoot 8-round clips.  Gas checks recommended for the velocities used in GAMM.  The hy-tek coated bullets are claimed to be leaving no lead in the bore or gas port. 

For best performance with cast bullets, Clean the bore of all copper residue.  Then clean it again. And again. :rolleyes: You'll be surprised at how much copper can be sitting in the bore of some rifles.

Paper Patching?  Not familiar with that, think it's related to muzzle loaders? Can you patch when shooting semiautos? Never heard of paper patching M1 rounds. :wacko:  No fillers in the case either.

Thanks for the clarification!  Paper patching is acceptable in long range side matches, so I'm going to assume it is legal for BAMM/GAMM.  I've had good luck with paper patches in lever actions, so I'll at least try it in a semi.  Looking forward to the 9th!

17D2BB88-ADAB-4628-94EC-9F73BE61F6D9.jpeg

04880CDF-4A2F-49CD-8650-3DF51F694572.jpeg

0943C615-31BF-4CB0-80A2-9BC3B77CF748.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Update on the GAMM side match operations:  GAMM was a success!  Five locals showed up with Garands, and Dusty Boddams drove 5 hours to join the group to make it six shooters passing gas.  Those six shot the 8-round scenario fifteen (15) times! Many grains of lead went downrange from 55 to 125 yards.  Then there was the concurrent BAMM side match too. 

For the next GAMM side match we'll string two or three 8-shot scenarios together, record score for each, reload off the clock, total the individual scores for a match score.  There are another couple of locals with Garands who will likely shoot the next match, including me.

Hey Grouchy, how about LAMM? Or allow Winchester 95s in BAMM matches.  

I’m wanting a 95 in either 30-40 Krag or go whole hog for a Big Medicine 405. I suppose the 30-40 would be more  “military “. 

Hmmm, interesting idea, Hoss.  Looks like a solution to filling a need for a 1895 :huh:  Been there, done that!  The BAMM and GAMM games were created to unlimber some safe queens, so why not unlimber some military levers?

Why don't you start up a LAMM at TRP and  see how that catches on?  The Spencer, Winchester 1866 and 1892, and the Winchester 1894 in 30-30 would also qualify as military levers.  Henry 1860 too.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/6/11/winchester-lever-actions-go-to-war/

https://westernfictioneers.blogspot.com/2015/01/did-us-army-ever-use-lever-action.html

Or you could make  it a Military Rifle Match and open to semiautos through WW2 too for more participation.  Include the Trapdoor too.

The reason for the narrow window on rifle matches at the Texicans is time, extremely limited after the Saturday  cowboy main match finishes, until 2:30 pm so as to clear the range by 3:00 pm. 

5 minutes ago, Grouchy Spike said:

Hmmm, interesting idea, Hoss.  Looks like a solution to filling a need for a 1895 :huh:  Been there, done that!  The BAMM and GAMM games were created to unlimber some safe queens, so why not unlimber some military levers?

Why don't you start up a LAMM at TRP and  see how that catches on?  The Spencer, Winchester 1866 and 1892, and the Winchester 1894 in 30-30 would also qualify as military levers.  Henry 1860 too.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/6/11/winchester-lever-actions-go-to-war/

https://westernfictioneers.blogspot.com/2015/01/did-us-army-ever-use-lever-action.html

Or you could make  it a Military Rifle Match and open to semiautos through WW2 too for more participation.  Include the Trapdoor too.

The reason for the narrow window on rifle matches at the Texicans is time, extremely limited after the Saturday  cowboy main match finishes, until 2:30 pm so as to clear the range by 3:00 pm. 

LAMM sounds great but I would limit it to true rifle calibers. At the distances you are shooting at pistol calibers will be very hard to accurately score. Even 30-30 rounds are hard to hear ring steel out past 100 yards.

LV you may have opened up a new topic for discussion about rifle side matches.  While WAM might be a bit narrow in scope, MAM (Military Action Match) could open it up to anything military.  No telling what might show up!

For the Winchester 1907, 351SL ammo is available from VenturaAmmunitions.com and brass is available from Buffalo Arms.  Dies are manufactured by Redding, RCBS, and CH4D, but shown to be out of stock at BA.  Grafs.com has a 351SL Lee FCD in stock, but no other Lee dies.  Maybe the 351SL dies are a special order item.

For those who have old and/or odd rifles, a match requires only two shooters and about 50 yards of range.  All rifles may not be equal in speed, but they are all equal in the fun factor.  So if you're reading this thread about old military bolts in BAMM or old Garands in GAMM, start your own side matches with what you have.  Shooters tend to experiment with what they have, and then upgrade.  The CMP sells Garands for $650 shipped.   If you are a member of the Texas State Rifle Association you are a member of an affiliated range .(https://tsra.com/  

Go here for a list of other state associations:  http://thecmp.org/clubs/state-associations/state-association-listing/

Go here for eligibility requirements:  http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

For proof of marksmanship participation or firearm familiarity, a DD214, a CHL or LTC, or a statement from the president of your SASS cowboy club is sufficient.  Turnaround time is about three weeks from order to delivery.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I dropped my order in the mail yesterday for a Service grade. :)

You have competition at Simms in July with BAMM, unfortunately BATF won't let me bring my Garand south of the border.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:13 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

I dropped my order in the mail yesterday for a Service grade. :)

JBB, did that Garand ever show Up?  If so, tell us about it.

4 hours ago, Grouchy Spike said:

LV you may have opened up a new topic for discussion about rifle side matches.  While WAM might be a bit narrow in scope, MAM (Military Action Match) could open it up to anything military.  No telling what might show up!

For the Winchester 1907, 351SL ammo is available from VenturaAmmunitions.com and brass is available from Buffalo Arms.  Dies are manufactured by Redding, RCBS, and CH4D, but shown to be out of stock at BA.  Grafs.com has a 351SL Lee FCD in stock, but no other Lee dies.  Maybe the 351SL dies are a special order item.

I agree that is probably too specific (though Garand is as well but what the heck lots of fun).  I guess one could always add a Remington 8 (1901-1911) again another right in the time period Wild Bunch rough era rifle. 

RAM maybe?  Recoil Action Match?  The ammunition is still commercially available for that well 35 Remington. 

Still sounds like a lot of fun to think about adding some of these older model rifles. 

Actually believe it or not we’ve shot several LAMM matches in with BAMM limited to rifle cartridges only and shot LAMM as it’s own class. We have also shot this as a Doughboy type match and called it rebelde Gringo ( excuse the spelling) and LAMM was what it was called from the start.  LAMM welcomes the 95 Winchester,86,94, etc. savage 99 but no 44wcf or 38 wcf. Or pistol calibers.  We opened this category at club level so that shooters could get their 30-30 out and shoot it in a fun competition that was something different than a long range side match.  We have a lot of fun shooting different old guns in competition  and at Comanche valley vigilantes on the fourth Saturday when we shoot wild bunch we always have BAMM, Lamm and here lately GAMM.  You don’t have to shoot WB, cowboy is at the other end of the range and all cowboy shooters are invited to the BAMM ‘s. We have a great club president and officers that stand behind wild Bunch and BAMM and are always receptive to new ideas.   Dusty Boddams 

Archived