SASS Wire Forum

New SASS shooter

Captain Bill Burt

SASS picked up a new shooter yesterday. Shootin Sharyn and I were joined by the Iron Cowboy (he’s not new he started shooting SASS 5 years ago) and Kid Flash who is 9. He struggled a bit with the rifle, it’s heavy for him, and left eye dominance will need to be addressed, but he made it all the way through and had a blast. Now if we can just get Lethal Lizzie over her shyness and on the range we’ll be a five shooter family. Kid, Cowboy, and Sharyn all won their categories. Dad limped across the finish line in third place.

3092B42B-61C8-4FAD-81AD-4B37B9CEAB6C.jpeg

Well welcome aboard to a great organization little pilgrims and have a fantastic time doing so. We need more of you youngsters to take our places.

Very best to all of you and God bless.

Jackrabbit Joe #414

Welcome Iron Cowboy.

Squint the left eye just a little and it will switch the dominance, you can also put a piece of scotch tape on the left lens of his shooting glasses. The tape is just enough to make the eyes switch over. They also sell a dot to put on the glasses lens.It's called Magic Dot.

If only I had known these things when I was young. I struggled with it until my 30's.

Iron Cowboy was on my first ever SC state match posse back in 2013!  I was impressed then ...and when I see him, I am impressed still!  I have no doubt that Kid Flash will be as impressive a cowkid! :)  Lethal Lizzie will come around!

Big hugs!

Scarlett

Just to be clear everyone, Iron Cowboy has been around SASS for a while. 

The new shooter was Kid Flash (pictured). 

No Widder the rifle problem was definitely NOT mechanical.  He just got tired and needed to rest the muzzle on the table occasionally.  Kid Flash is small for his age (9) so holding the rifle will take some work.  The same with the pistols.  He is strong but needs work on grip and form.  The Iron Cowboy on the other hand is at the other end of the size spectrum.  He's 13 and 5'7".  Every four months or so I have to buy him new clothes and shoes.  He's currently in a mens 10.5, but they're getting tight.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.  Both Iron Cowboy and Kid Flash saw them!

Way to get them yung'uns shooting, Capt.

SASS is just the thing to get the shyness out of a kid.

Ya got a top notch family there and I am proud to know ya.

Waimea

Capt Bill, He will do just fine. I unloaded him after one stage and he'll be alright. I wouldn't worry about the eye dominance thing. Lily the Kid and Raindrop Renegade are both left eye dominant (like their dad) and they go matches without a miss (Lily went 13 months once!), so now worries. They just cock their head a little. Dad shoots long guns lefty, but you already know about him. No one was more shy and timid than Raindrop and she's doing great. I know she would be happy to chat with Lizzie. Great to see a family shooting together!

I'm amazed at Kid Flash's progress in just one week.  He did some dry fire practice and seems much more comfortable with the rifle and pistols.  Cross eye dominance is hurting him, I'm going to get one of those dots to put over the left lens of his glasses.  Here he is in action.

It was fun having the Flash shoot with us yesterday! And, Iron Cowboy looks like he's growing another 6 inchs every time I see him. I also noticed his boots yesterday, & they were as big as skis. He's going to be a very tall man! I was well aware of your 3rd place finish, as you got me by 2.3 seconds.

Being left eye dominant, I started with a BB gun at age 8 and taught myself to shoot long guns left handed. Since I am right handed, I shoot handguns right handed. I shoot with both eyes open and don't even notice the dominance thing when shooting pistols. Both of my daughters are the same way, however, they both shoot all guns right handed; they just tilt their heads a bit. And are VERY accurate, btw. I would see how he does with the "corrected" eye and if it's not working, let him tilt his head, he may be more comfortable that way. Either way, I'm sure he will do just fine.

3 hours ago, Chili Pepper Jack said:

He did a great job!!! Year or two he will be putting the whooping on his old man!

I think you're right, in fact it might not take that long.  He pitched a fit last night because I wouldn't let him practice.  The Iron Cowboy didn't do too poorly either.  We went over some issues he has with his shotgun afterwards.  If he cleans those up I expect he'll be in the teens by Georgia State.

• 2 weeks later...

Shooters Magic Eye Dot System, six different colors and clear. These are the ones I use.

The "Flash" was deadly serious this weekend! He doesn't smile a lot & makes you believe he would drill you if you look at him the wrong way. I see improvements every time he shoots.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:07 PM, Max Payne said:

It was fun having the Flash shoot with us yesterday! And, Iron Cowboy looks like he's growing another 6 inchs every time I see him. I also noticed his boots yesterday, & they were as big as skis. He's going to be a very tall man! I was well aware of your 3rd place finish, as you got me by 2.3 seconds.

I wish I could get you by 2.3 seconds.  See you at Dark Day.

On 3/3/2019 at 4:29 PM, Cassalong Hopidy said:

I wish I could get you by 2.3 seconds.  See you at Dark Day.

Since you'll be shooting the black stuff, & I'll be smokeless, I should have a pretty good advantage. Hope it's enough!

On 3/3/2019 at 3:46 PM, Max Payne said:

The "Flash" was deadly serious this weekend! He doesn't smile a lot & makes you believe he would drill you if you look at him the wrong way. I see improvements every time he shoots.

He's the youngest of five children, he has to be tough!

4F53A7EF-24CC-4F3D-BDD7-4F6C402D89F8.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I can't seem to open up the above video on 8 on 8 swinger.

..........Widder

That video is him going 10/10 on stationary targets.  We didn't get a vid of the swinger stage unfortunately.   Let me try uploading that file again. 018BEDF8-99FF-4F02-8C75-FCB009C640DF.MOV

Archived