SASS Wire Forum

Whats the Best and Whyyy???

Moe T Vator

Howdy All,

What do you think is the best Rifle, Pistols, and shotgun for SASS and WHYYY? This is your opportunity to brag on your gear, your gunsmith, your good deals etc.

For the sake of example I will be using my Ruger New Vaqueros. 

Categories:

1. Out of the box ready to use. 

Example: Out of the box my Ruger New Vaqueros chambered in .357/38 felt great in my hands, shot straight, cycled flawlessly, and of course looked classy as heck.

2. Durability 

After having handled Old Vaqueros, Taylors, Cimerrons, Colts, Taurus, and even a few that i cant even remember the names the ruggedness of the ruger is awesome. Ive run full load 357 mags for silhouette, hunting hollow points, and of course Cowboy reloads. The only misfires I've had were from bad ammo. Not from the guns.

I keep mine pretty clean. Solid wipe down after each match and a full Diss & Ass after every 300-400 rounds and doing so has no doubt extended their service life.

3. Cost 

Mine are the 5 1/2" Color case hardened NMV with consecutive serial #s. I got my hands on them two years ago for $1100  after shipping and they will no doubt out live me. 

4. Upgrades/Parts/Gun Smithing

The stock parts are pretty available. its when you start looking into specialty pieces like lowered hammers that you might start having trouble getting ahold of them. 

There are lots of very qualified smiths out there that can "slick them up, get them race ready or short stroke them" 

I had mine done by Shotgun Boogie and let me tell you I'll never go back. The short stroke and smoothness of the action is like nothing on any pistols I've ever handled. 

5. Cost of Gun Smithing

Welllll it wasn't cheap but when it comes to guns, condoms and toilet paper don't buy cheap or it will cost you more in then long run. 

6. It makes me happy and feel cool

Theres something intangible about having a pair of pistols that I have always wanted. The blued steel and color case hardening are beautiful. Heck I named my dog Ruger. 

Long story short, if its the gun you want and it makes happy then get it and shoot for the moon!!

Looking forward to hearing everyone's preferences. Please feel free to add a category if you think it will benefit the post.  

Also, shout out to the Delzura Desperados! Had a blast shooting with y'all today! 

MOE,

Just my opinion, because I don't even use some of my suggestions.

1.   Pistols:  Ruger's

2.  Rifle:   73 with SS mod or a nice, slicked/or SS Marlin 1894

3.  Shotgun:   SKB SxS (or Baikal or Stoeger)  or a good 1897, either Winchester or IAC

P.S. - you didn't ask about best calibers, barrel length, etc..... :)

And away WE gooooooooooooooo......................

..........Widder

I’ve always preferred Maryann because she’s brunette and country girls are way more practical than movie stars. As for Guns I have multiple sets and my favorites vary and are often mixed and matched by both model and caliber. So my suggestion is to stop looking for the perfect guns and to simply buy the guns you want and shoot them. For the record in sixteen years I’ve never had a full on race-ready eye-talian 73, the Ginger of our sport. There are many other suitable choices.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Long story short.  

:lol:

I'm sure you meant to say, "...short story long." :P

Ain't no "best".

It's all subjective.

Rugers and Marlins might be toughest though. ;)

6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Jimmy Spurs Rugers 

Marshall Harlan Wolff Uberti 1873

Fast Eddie SKB.

Doubt anyone in the know could argue with that list.  Actually, I am not a Ruger man (partial to my FAs),  but Sassy would not take for her JS NMVs, and I agree to their excellence, so smooth.  HW 73, wow, I'd like one, but find Jim Bowie's suits me well, as Cody's and Lefty W's work, and got to admit Sassy's back up 73 with C&I 5th gen by  Boomstick is a honey to run .  Tough to beat Eddie on SKB's, Sassy has that, and I like my Goatneck work also....Boomstick is on the list too.  Sort of a fan of much of Snake Oil George's work also, although retiring from most CAS work.....I just got couple of his new modification on one-piece firing pin systems (73) and anxious to give them a try when returning from WR.

So many good'ens out there...the list can go on and on, but CBB, you got one heck of a list.

4 minutes ago, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

Doubt anyone in the know could argue with that list.  Actually, I am not a Ruger man (partial to my FAs),  but Sassy would not take for her JS NMVs, and I agree to their excellence, so smooth.  HW 73, wow, I'd like one, but find Jim Bowie's suits me well, as Cody's and Lefty W's work, and got to admit Sassy's back up 73 with C&I 5th gen by  Boomstick is a honey to run .  Tough to beat Eddie on SKB's, Sassy has that, and I like my Goatneck work also....Boomstick is on the list too.  Sort of a fan of much of Snake Oil George's work also, although retiring from most CAS work.....I just got couple of his new modification on one-piece firing pin systems (73) and anxious to give them a try when returning from WR.

So many good'ens out there...the list can go on and on, but CBB, you got one heck of a list.

Thanks Billy!  I'm partial to them!

I also like C&I from Jim Bowie.  My wife has a 4th Gen C&I 1873, not sure who did the work, but I got it from Tuff Stuff and he only bought the best.  My middle son has a 3rd gen C&I 1873 that Fast Eddie did the work on.  We just got that today and its slick too.  My youngest has a Henry .22 that Widder and Slater did the work on.  That's a slick .22!

In addition to our three Fast Eddie SKB's we also have one from Dirt Merchant, my wife shoots that one.  It's nice.  Dirt taught Eddie and helped him get started.

I've been working on getting us outfitted and as of today all four of us have our own rifles, shotguns and revolvers.  Now to convince my youngest daughter to join us so I have an excuse to buy another set of cowboy(girl) gear.

What's the best? Depends on what you're looking for . The wife has Jimmy Spurs Vaquero's. I have Cowboy Carty Vaquero's. Both are smooth, but the trigger pull is different. She likes hers. I like mine. Best? Depends on what you want.

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Thanks Billy!  I'm partial to them!

I also like C&I from Jim Bowie.  My wife has a 4th Gen C&I 1873, not sure who did the work, but I got it from Tuff Stuff and he only bought the best.  My middle son has a 3rd gen C&I 1873 that Fast Eddie did the work on.  We just got that today and its slick too.  My youngest has a Henry .22 that Widder and Slater did the work on.  That's a slick .22!

In addition to our three Fast Eddie SKB's we also have one from Dirt Merchant, my wife shoots that one.  It's nice.  Dirt taught Eddie and helped him get started.

I've been working on getting us outfitted and as of today all four of us have our own rifles, shotguns and revolvers.  Now to convince my youngest daughter to join us so I have an excuse to buy another set of cowboy(girl) gear.

I actually still shoot some Shotgunner SKBs, I believe he taught art to Dirt and Goatneck...Dirt passed on to Eddie.  great guys.  I had account back then with Briley so would have them do some of the work on the barrels and Shotgunner's his expertise.  Although guns have probably had a spring or two replaced, the Briley barrels are still my favorites.  19-21" and open bored (no choke).

Tuff out of it now?  I believe he trained some at my place (yep, he traveled a ways)...no, not me teaching, Handlebar Doc.

Your Inbox is full.

I seem to be a bit rough with my cowboy guns, so durability is key. I also like smooth and fast. 

Rifle: Marlin 1894 with Cowboy Carty short stroke

Revolvers; OMV Rugers 5.5” (bisleys for duelist and plow handles for squaw grippin) both smithed by Lassiter 

Shotgun; SKB 100 smithed by Doc Noper

i wouldn’t change a thing

Yep, it's turned into an equipment race.  Best is a subjective intangible.

My favorite guns are mine... no short-stokes to be found anywhere, but smooth action is mandatory.   

The best to me may not be the best to someone else. I like Ruger Old Armies, Pedersoli Lightning rifles and 16 gauge 1897 shotguns to me they are the best for the game I want to play. 

On 2/10/2019 at 5:27 PM, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

I seem to be a bit rough with my cowboy guns, so durability is key. I also like smooth and fast. 

Rifle: Marlin 1894 with Cowboy Carty short stroke

Revolvers; OMV Rugers 5.5” (bisleys for duelist and plow handles for squaw grippin) both smithed by Lassiter 

Shotgun; SKB 100 smithed by Doc Noper

i wouldn’t change a thing

Why the SKB 100?

On 2/10/2019 at 4:18 PM, Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator said:

I actually still shoot some Shotgunner SKBs, I believe he taught art to Dirt and Goatneck...Dirt passed on to Eddie.  great guys.  I had account back then with Briley so would have them do some of the work on the barrels and Shotgunner's his expertise.  Although guns have probably had a spring or two replaced, the Briley barrels are still my favorites.  19-21" and open bored (no choke).

Tuff out of it now?  I believe he trained some at my place (yep, he traveled a ways)...no, not me teaching, Handlebar Doc.

Your Inbox is full.

Why the SKB? 

On 2/10/2019 at 2:53 PM, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

What's the best? Depends on what you're looking for . The wife has Jimmy Spurs Vaquero's. I have Cowboy Carty Vaquero's. Both are smooth, but the trigger pull is different. She likes hers. I like mine. Best? Depends on what you want.

What about your scatter Guns? B)

On 2/10/2019 at 5:30 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

MOE,

Just my opinion, because I don't even use some of my suggestions.

1.   Pistols:  Ruger's

2.  Rifle:   73 with SS mod or a nice, slicked/or SS Marlin 1894

3.  Shotgun:   SKB SxS (or Baikal or Stoeger)  or a good 1897, either Winchester or IAC

P.S. - you didn't ask about best calibers, barrel length, etc..... :)

And away WE gooooooooooooooo......................

..........Widder

What made you pick those shotguns? 

Archived