SASS Wire Forum

WTC

Chief Rick

For this scenario there are two sets of three rifle targets:

X  X  X         X  X  X

Instructions are to engage one set of rifle targets with a 1-2-2 sweep starting on either end, then repeat instructions with other set of rifle targets.

Shooter engages and hits first three targets appropriately.

Shooter then engages second set of targets: hits left target once, hits middle target once, then misses, hits middle target second time, then hits right target once.

What's the call?

Each bullet coming out of the barrel has an assigned target in this scenario. The miss (eighth shot) was assigned to the center target in the second group of targets.

The ninth and tenth round must go on the last target.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

What if the shooter claims to have been aiming at the 3rd target with his 9th shot and just missed it and hit the 2nd? 

We don't take intent into consideration.... It's still a miss and a P

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Interesting, I've seen a P overturned in a very similar situation to the one I mentioned.

38 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

What if the shooter claims to have been aiming at the 3rd target with his 9th shot and just missed it and hit the 2nd? 

34 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Tyrel,

Its MY understanding that UNLESS the shooter was able to have a 'clear' miss  (ample space between targets to allow

a legit miss, its a 'P' and we can't take the intent into consideration.

The shooter would have been better off if the 9th shot had also missed any rifle target.

Miss and a 'P'.

..........Widder

The 8th round from the rifle was fired & did not hit a rifle target = M. 

The right target was not hit twice as required in the target sequence with the 9th & 10th shots & the miss was not the 9th or 10th shot = P.

(1) M & (1) P = 15 second penalty

If the 8th shot would have hit any target it would not have been a miss. If it was determined the target arrangement did not allow a clean miss and the 8th round had hit the right or left target, then a "P" caused by the hit of the 8th shot could have been negated. Target arrangements I saw early in my experience with CAS/SASS were sometimes set up with very little spacing between them, especially when five targets were set up in a "V" formation. Not so common in today's competitions.

Thanks to all for the replies.

I try to include a "what's the call" scenario in our clubs newsletter and seeing these discussions allows me to not only better understand why some calls are the way they are, but also to better explain it in a short article.

11 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Shooter then engages second set of targets: hits left target once, hits middle target once, then misses, hits middle target second time, then hits right target once.

What's the call?

look at it from counters point of view.  They are not looking at where the shooter is aiming, they are (or should be) looking at targets

first bank of targets:  OK

on second bank they hear the 6th (overall) shot then see/hear hit on first target, hear the 7th shot then see/hear hit on second target, hear the 8th shot but don't see/hear hit on second target MISS earned, hear the 9th shot and see/hear a shot on second target PROCEDUAL earned . . . and last two targets are hits so no more misses (and only one procedual per stage)

Miss + P

Archived