SASS Wire Forum

Crossdraw Info

M D Lancaster

Max is 30 degrees from vertical AS WORN.   Also, some kick out from body is beneficial

Double tap!

1 hour ago, M D Lancaster said:

Phantom

Thanks Do different manufacture companies have variable angles(cant) 

Mernikle ,etc

I'm not sure as I haven't shopped holsters for a long time as I have a guy that's been making my rigs for a dozen years or so.

Of course the rule is 30 degrees... Anyone can read the rule books. The trick is knowing an angle that should keep you safely within the limit. This is one reason why I go with 10 degrees.

Also, pulling from holster and reholstering will be easier and more efficient. 

Phantom

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

I use the Kirkpatrick LH09 Long Hunter rig with 2 rt hand cross draw holsters keeps the angle the same for the wrist

i bought galcos cross draws when i started , they were reasonable , made within the rules and with the dance you can stay safely within the limits , i think most mfgrs will be within the rules and all of the great custom shops know what is legal and will keep you in line - its in their best interest to have you happy , i have gone to a more vertical holster in later years but still have my canted cross draws as a backup set and sometimes use them , 

if i get another set made i think i will request the 10 degree and a little kick out - not much , im pretty thin and dont have a shape that requires a lot , gotta fit your custom set to your body type if your going to pay the fee and wear them for a long while , but BUT , the custom set is definitely the way to go if you know what you want , 

The thing you have to watch is the as worn part of the rule.

When I first started making my own leather I made a couple of cross draw holsters with 30 degree angles 

When worn they were closer 45 degrees

I second Phantom, stay with a 10 degree angle 

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Get the proper rig and you will not need to worry about the silly dance   why make it more complicated, keep it simple. 

Economy of motion is your friend.:FlagAm:

The secret to safe use of the crossdraw is footwork!! If you land with your feet in the proper orientation, the presentation and holstering of the guns practically takes care of itself!!

Spend some time with a top shooter who works from a crossdraw rig and you’ll get the gist of it.  No “dance” required!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The secret to safe use of the crossdraw is footwork!! If you land with your feet in the proper orientation, the presentation and holstering of the guns practically takes care of itself!! 

Spend some time with a top shooter who works from a crossdraw rig and you’ll get the gist of it.  No “dance” required!!

This Indeed!! Been using a X-draw since I started in '97...footwork and positioning, no dancing!! My rig is from JM Leather and has a 10 deg cant...I position it over my right thigh...support hand holstering is quick and easy.  

JC

I have only used cross-draw so far but I have only been doing CAS for about 9 months now.   I don't like the idea of "grip switching" my loaded pistol and the simplicity of a cross draw just seems ideal for beginners. 

I have seen quite a few really awesome shooters using double strong side and grip switching when drawing/reholstering and they are doing it waaaay faster than I can do it so I am in no way suggesting cross draw is better or faster.  Cross draw just happens to be my comfort zone for now.

I am planning on buying an additional rig but it is so I can test my skills shooting "Gunfighter" style.  I certainly understand the benefit of flexibility offered by that type of rig - you certainly aren't competing as a 'Gunfighter' with a cross draw holster !!!

Archived