SASS Wire Forum

Shot shells

Hells Comin

This is a good catch.

I never noticed it before but happened to have a "new" box of Federal metros on hand to look at ... and ... sure enough they have the copper centers.

The Federal 209's I use for reloading don't. 

Doing some searching I ended up at a few trap shooting / shotgun sites and they mentioned this showing up on some Winchester AAs as well.

Besides the concerns of the quality difference between factory primers and those sold for reloading  ... everyone seemed to think is was a great way to determine if you were picking up a "once fired" or "reloaded" hull.

I have been reloading my metros exclusively lately ... now I can pick out the first timers .... ha ...

Thanks for the tip!!  :lol:   

There has been some discussions about the merging between Federal and CCI.  Wonder if the fed metro loads could be coming with CCI primers as the results of this.  I generally sort out hulls by color of primers like Patagonia Pete said.   As far as shotgun primers I do wonder about some.  I have friends  (really) that cannot shoot factory WW LRLN but can reload WW  hulls with WW primers and everything is fine.   Anyone else notice this.  I have only been using Cheddite primers because the are available cheap and have not had any problems.      GW

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362
15 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

Why does federal shot shell low recoil have a copper looking primer?

Why is the SKY BLUE? :D:FlagAm:

4 minutes ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

Why is the SKY BLUE? :D:FlagAm:

When I ask my kids that they always tell me it's not, it's clear. 

A clear cloudless day-time sky is blue because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light. When we look towards the sun at sunset, we see red and orange colours because the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight.

:ph34r:

Actually the sky appears Blue  because it absorbs all colors except blue which reflects back and our retina sees  the Blue light . :rolleyes::FlagAm:

3 hours ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

Actually the sky appears Blue  because it absorbs all colors except blue which reflects back and our retina sees  the Blue light . :rolleyes::FlagAm:

And here I thought it was because Mother Nature wanted to match your purdy blue eyes.:P

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Cheaper for the primer maker not hav'n to plate them. ;)

The silver color is a plating..........

OLG

Actually  every color but silver remember the color you see is not the real color  it is every color except silver.  Man I can not wait for winter to be over 38 days to go.:D:FlagAm:

Tell me why the stars do shine

Tell me why the ivy twines

Tell me why the sky's so blue

And then I'll tell you just why I love you

Because God made the stars to shine

Because God made the ivy twine

Because God made the sky's so blue

Because God made you, that's why I love you

Matthew, I had NO idea you felt this way,           Damn I am getting tired of snow and winter in that order      GW

In my best Slim Pickins voice "Why Mathew - you talk prettier than a $20 .........."  ahh - never mind.  :lol:

Geeeez I guess we will have another fantastic day on the wire. Waaa, Haw. LOL

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 8:59 PM, watab kid said:

what difference does it make ? seriously , not being flip , not my style , is there a difference ? 

Well apparently the brass color one are the older standard primers and the silver 209A's are hotter ( Magnum) primers.

On 2/10/2019 at 1:02 PM, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Thus, the famous Blue Light Specials!  :D:D:D

Huh:unsure:I remember the Blue Plate  Special down at Woolworths...…..countertop and bar stools;). Meatloaf day was almost as good as two hot dogs or hamburger steak 'n gravy:) Yum...Yum:)

Hell Scummin.. I think it might be part of the New Shooter's Handbook that requires all primers in Low Recoil Shot Shells made by Federal to be Copper Coated. :D

Snakebite

Enjoyed shooting with you at WR.

well lets see - copper is softer than brass -aluminum-steel so it might seat smoother in the pocket , might be a semi lube thing with brass as next , im no metallurgist but that seems an idea , i like their primers and use them , but ive used the others and had no real issues over the years , just my 2 cents , 

On 2/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

Sorry nope has to do with the frequency.  Shorter frequency of blue over red scatters more from its interactions with the gas molecules.

1 hour ago, LostVaquero said:

Sorry nope has to do with the frequency.  Shorter frequency of blue over red scatters more from its interactions with the gas molecules.

Sorry,    just as an apple is not red it is all colors except red The red frequency is bounced of the apple which is what we see .  The sky is not Blue .:FlagAm:

3 hours ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

Sorry,    just as an apple is not red it is all colors except red The red frequency is bounced of the apple which is what we see .  The sky is not Blue .:FlagAm:

It appears blue due to frequency scattering.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-is-the-sky-blue/

https://scijinks.gov/blue-sky/

Hey Phil, isn't it wonderful when you try to find out something technical and a bunch of yahoos hijack your thread.  I was going to use another word for yahoos, but I knew the Moderators would shut me down.  This is why a lot of shooters will not read the Wire.

Archived