SASS Wire Forum

New Miroku 1873 - Defective (Advice Needed)

Double Pipe Classic

Hello all, 

I purchased a new Miroku 1873 in .357 magnum about a month ago. I did the initial cleaning and lubrication according to the manual then headed out to my cousins property to try it out. The first 15 or so rounds went off without a hitch then it was all down hill from there. I ran about 30 rounds of 38 special and 20 rounds of 357 mag through it and had 15 FTF's due to light primer strikes.

I dropped it off at the winchester service center on 1/16/19 and called them yesterday to get a status update. The customer service rep said that the bolt needed to be replaced and they do not have the parts on hand to do so. The gun has been sent to a manager for 'review' and they are going to call me back with my options but he said he's 99% sure they are going to replace the entire gun. 

This gun is by far the most expensive firearm I've purchased so it's very disheartening that it failed the first day it was used. The fact that the service center doesn't have parts on hand to fix it is worrisome as well.

Has any one else had similar issues with this gun or was it an anomaly? I'm trying to decide if I should take the replacement or just request a refund and buy a Uberti. I love the fit, finish, feel, action etc on the rifle so I'm hoping this is just an isolated incident but who knows. 

Any and all input is appreciated. 

Thanks!

I will be interested to hear folks comments.

Many really like the Miroku guns and have had good success with them. 

The fact that the service center knows the problem and is so willing to work with you is encouraging.

Winchester (Miroku) is a fine gun. You can't go wrong with it. The firing pin has a safety device built in that i don't like but other than that I would choose it over a Uberti.

PS I have two Uberti's and Two Winchester (Miroku's). It take a lot of work to get the Uberti to run like the Winchester.

They will take care of this for you. Sorry you experienced it, can happen to anything. I have not heard many complaints on the Miroku Winchesters. I have owned 5 of them so far and not a single issue here.

Take the replacement and be glad they aren't trying to fix the one you have. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Miroku. Remember a warranty isn't a promise of perfection it is a promise of accountability. Let us know how the situation resolves for you.

Sounds like excellent customer service. That quality is sometimes hard to find these days.

:D

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Winchester (Miroku) is a fine gun. You can't go wrong with it. The firing pin has a safety device built in that i don't like but other than that I would choose it over a Uberti.

PS I have two Uberti's and Two Winchester (Miroku's). It take a lot of work to get the Uberti to run like the Winchester.

Very good to hear. Thank you for your input!

59 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

They will take care of this for you. Sorry you experienced it, can happen to anything. I have not heard many complaints on the Miroku Winchesters. I have owned 5 of them so far and not a single issue here.

Same. I did a lot of research before buying and didn't see much (if any) negative feedback so it caught me off guard. That is also why my initial inclination is that I just happened to get a bad apple. 

31 minutes ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

Take the replacement and be glad they aren't trying to fix the one you have. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Miroku. Remember a warranty isn't a promise of perfection it is a promise of accountability. Let us know how the situation resolves for you.

I completely agree. I understand that any product can fail and I appreciate companies who stand behind their products and try to make it right. So far it seems as though they are doing that. Will let everyone know how the situation pans out. 

11 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Did you tighten the hammer spring strain-screw at all?

Was the ammo factory or reloads.

Ask to have that manager do a hands-on inspection before they ship it.

Keep on'em.......

OLG

No, I read that tightening the screw could address the problem but luckily I only live 15 mins from the service center (and it's been frigid here in St Louis lately so it wasn't going to see much use anyway) which is why I decided to drop it off and let them take care of it. The ammo was factory target loads. I believe the 38 was UMC and the 357 was FED 

No experience with the Miroku 73's, but plenty with the shotguns they make (all the Browning Citori models and the Browning A5 until the early 90's) and some of the repro rifles.  They also made reproductions of the Winchester M12 and 42, which I have owned.  Their quality control is first rate.  On warranty work (for Browning) it can sometimes be a bit slow, but they will make it right.  I'd never hesitate to buy one of their guns.

I'd be willing to bet it's the safety. Mine decided to fall apart and I just welded it up, it's been running fine ever since.

Also broke a loading gate, they sent me a new one. My Winchester gets run pretty hard, I'm not easy on it. All rifles break, get used to it.

I've got 2 of them in 44-40, the first one had the firing pin extension break after a year of shooting, I replaced it with the Pioneer one piece version on both rifles. No problems since.

4 hours ago, Double Pipe Classic said:

Hello all, 

I purchased a new Miroku 1873 in .357 magnum about a month ago. I did the initial cleaning and lubrication according to the manual then headed out to my cousins property to try it out. The first 15 or so rounds went off without a hitch then it was all down hill from there. I ran about 30 rounds of 38 special and 20 rounds of 357 mag through it and had 15 FTF's due to light primer strikes.

I dropped it off at the winchester service center on 1/16/19 and called them yesterday to get a status update. The customer service rep said that the bolt needed to be replaced and they do not have the parts on hand to do so. The gun has been sent to a manager for 'review' and they are going to call me back with my options but he said he's 99% sure they are going to replace the entire gun. 

This gun is by far the most expensive firearm I've purchased so it's very disheartening that it failed the first day it was used. The fact that the service center doesn't have parts on hand to fix it is worrisome as well.

Has any one else had similar issues with this gun or was it an anomaly? I'm trying to decide if I should take the replacement or just request a refund and buy a Uberti. I love the fit, finish, feel, action etc on the rifle so I'm hoping this is just an isolated incident but who knows. 

Any and all input is appreciated. 

Thanks!

Wouldn't get to worked up over it. Seems like they’re trying to rectify the problem, I’d let it work itself out. I’ve got one of their 73’s in 44-40 and it’s a nice rifle. If they’re wanting to replace the rifle, go for it.

• 2 months later...
On 2/9/2019 at 8:26 PM, Hillbilly Drifter said:

replacing a serialized FFL item is more difficult that you may think. I expect they will repair it

Just got the rifle back last week and they did end up replacing it. They handled all the paperwork so luckily I don't have to do anything on my end. After I picked it up I got an email documenting the previous serial # and the new one. 

As most speculated, they didn't give me any detail as to what the issue was on the first rifle but I was happy that they replaced it and really excited to try it out so I didn't press them on the matter. 

I've been busy lately and only put 50 rounds through it so far but no issues. Hoping for years of fun ahead with this rifle!

1 hour ago, Double Pipe Classic said:

Just got the rifle back last week and they did end up replacing it. They handled all the paperwork so luckily I don't have to do anything on my end. After I picked it up I got an email documenting the previous serial # and the new one. 

As most speculated, they didn't give me any detail as to what the issue was on the first rifle but I was happy that they replaced it and really excited to try it out so I didn't press them on the matter. 

I've been busy lately and only put 50 rounds through it so far but no issues. Hoping for years of fun ahead with this rifle!

You're lucky California would make you re Dros it

I've heard a lot of good reports from the Browning/ Winchester service center in Arnold Missouri.   I needed to replace some parts on a Winchester Miroku 73 that had been butchered at a tender age. Sawmill Mary called the service center and the lady that answered the phone walked back to the parts inventory and pulled the parts and bagged them while on the phone. Done.  Got them in a couple of days.   

I had two.....one done by Cody Conager and one by Roughneck Rod and they both worked great. That said I stuck to the Uberti's because I was worried about getting parts for the Miroku's IF I needed them. Can't understand why they don't offer parts......seems like a strange thing. 

SASS can be tough on guns and even new quality products can fail.....let alone highly modified race guns. 

I'd be concerned to buy a car and not be able to get a starter for it if it went out. Seems natural to have parts on hand either before or soon after the release of the product. 

Again great rifle just makes you wonder. 

Seems there are no available parts for the Winchester 1873 according to some, while others have ordered and received all the parts they need. So, somewhere in there is the truth. Unfortunately, the only real way to know is call Winchester and ask them. As  far as I know most people shooting Winchesters are not needing parts.  

4 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Cowboy Junky can be tough on guns and even new quality products can fail.....let alone highly modified race guns. 

Fixed it for you!

Happy Easter!

8 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

I had two.....one done by Cody Conager and one by Roughneck Rod and they both worked great. That said I stuck to the Uberti's because I was worried about getting parts for the Miroku's IF I needed them. Can't understand why they don't offer parts......seems like a strange thing. 

SASS can be tough on guns and even new quality products can fail.....let alone highly modified race guns. 

I'd be concerned to buy a car and not be able to get a starter for it if it went out. Seems natural to have parts on hand either before or soon after the release of the product. 

Again great rifle just makes you wonder. 

I thought the same thing. They told me that they didn't have the parts to fix it and they also didn't have any rifles on hand so they were going to put one aside from the next shipment which arrived about 6-7 weeks later.

They also told me that they had to submit paperwork to the ATF to document that they destroyed my original gun in order to swap it for a new one. I can only speculate, but if they went through all that it must have been a long wait time for whatever parts were needed. 

Either way they took care of it so I'm happy. I would be hesitant to modify it though (which I don't plan to at this point)

14 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've heard a lot of good reports from the Browning/ Winchester service center in Arnold Missouri.   I needed to replace some parts on a Winchester Miroku 73 that had been butchered at a tender age. Sawmill Mary called the service center and the lady that answered the phone walked back to the parts inventory and pulled the parts and bagged them while on the phone. Done.  Got them in a couple of days.   

I spoke with multiple employees throughout the process and they were all very nice down to earth people. I was actually looking forward to meeting them in person when I picked up the gun

1 hour ago, Double Pipe Classic said:

I spoke with multiple employees throughout the process and they were all very nice down to earth people. I was actually looking forward to meeting them in person when I picked up the gun

Most excellent! 

Still sounds easier than getting parts for my CZ coach gun and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another if I had reason too. I’ve heard more positive stories about parts for Miroku 73s than negative ones. I ain’t skeered.

Archived