SASS Wire Forum

Loop 375 around El Paso

Time for yearly trip to Winter Range via Tombstone....and, my dread of the pass thru El Paso.  Anyone tried the Loop to north on 375?  I know there are some mountainous miles and we will have a small two-wheel trailer, but considering it takes about an hour to get from east side to west side, and generally construction to add to misery, is the Loop worth it? 

Maybe you can time your passage thru El Paso for late at night? I do that when I need to get thru the LA area, go thru at minight or so and set up camp somewhere on the other side, like a Walmart maybe. My experience with that area is 35 years ago and was not great then

375 is fine at first but don't take it over the trans mountain pass. Get off on 54, head north and take Martin Luther King Jr Blvd (213) still going north. When you get to a roundabout, you head West on the Anthony Gap (404) until you get to I10. That is a great way to go and bypass everything. 

Was on loop 375 around El Paso last week to go visit my mom that lives east of El Paso. Its a great way to go, and the climb over the mountain is only a few miles, divided 4 lane all the way till you meet back up with I-10. The I-10 project thru El Paso will never be finished, best to avoid that mess!

Billy Boots,

Chicken George's route around El Paso is a good alternative,but after living in the area for 20 + years ,I  think I  would time my trip to avoid peak traffic hours and just cruise on thru on I 10.Just my opinion,YMMV.

Choctaw

Yep, Chicken George's route is what I do in my big truck... unless I hit E.P. in the middle of the night.

Transmountain is a dang pretty drive, but pay attention at night and cell service is spotty in the middle.  I have taken Chicken George's route a few times with great results when heading to NM and AZ and it flat out works on Friday afternoons.

Not to hijack thread but-how many of you all are native to El Paso/Las Cruces?  When do you all meet/shoot other than the first Sunday at Ft. Bliss (please IM me)?

Thx-

9 hours ago, Griff said:

Yep, Chicken George's route is what I do in my big truck... unless I hit E.P. in the middle of the night.

Thanks all. Hoping to at least equal time of straight thru on I10 and, for sure, cut on frustration/anxiety.  In the times of oilfield boom,, I watch timing of trip to avoid needing diesel or place to stay from Midland to Pecos.

Sounds as though TransMountain might need avoided especially pulling my little trailer.  Leaving after work Wednesday hoping to get within hour of Abilene which will put us around seven hours to Las Cruces then four more to Tombstone.  Anxious to get to Tombstone to "chill out" ( have a few at Big Nose Kate's and about) and hopefully, depending on weather, to get in couple of days of warm up shooting.  Friends already there having fun without Sassy and I.:(

I-20 from East of Midland to West of Odessa stays in turmoil the last several years. It goes down to single lane in a couple of places. But there is no good way to get around it. And gas and diesel prices are higher than state average.

In the last 10 years the same overpass has been damaged by over-height loads 4 times. It is one of the bottle-necks now.

Good luck , Rex :D

West to east on 375 past hwy 54 is steep on the west side, but fairly easy grade, if much longer, on the east side.  I only go over the Intermountain if I'm VERY light.

BTW, if you have a smart phone, download an app call "Gas Guru"... it'll give you up to the minute (or so) pricing on all grades of gas & diesel for whatever area you might be in.  I use it all the time in my p/u, (I have a specialized app for my work truck).

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

West to east on 375 past hwy 54 is steep on the west side, but fairly easy grade, if much longer, on the east side.  I only go over the Intermountain if I'm VERY light.

BTW, if you have a smart phone, download an app call "Gas Guru"... it'll give you up to the minute (or so) pricing on all grades of gas & diesel for whatever area you might be in.  I use it all the time in my p/u, (I have a specialized app for my work truck).

What's a smart phone?  :D  O'yea, what Sassy has and is on so much, especially now that retired.  I still have flip...but do have a tablet just in case I need to text in a more speedy manner..

31 minutes ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

I-20 from East of Midland to West of Odessa stays in turmoil the last several years. It goes down to single lane in a couple of places. But there is no good way to get around it. And gas and diesel prices are higher than state average.

In the last 10 years the same overpass has been damaged by over-height loads 4 times. It is one of the bottle-necks now.

Good luck , Rex :D

Yeks, I'd forgot about that little bottleneck.  and right there in such a scenic strip.

15 hours ago, David Balthazar said:

Transmountain is a dang pretty drive, but pay attention at night and cell service is spotty in the middle.  I have taken Chicken George's route a few times with great results when heading to NM and AZ and it flat out works on Friday afternoons.

Not to hijack thread but-how many of you all are native to El Paso/Las Cruces?  When do you all meet/shoot other than the first Sunday at Ft. Bliss (please IM me)?

Thx-

PM sent!

the group in El Paso are not SASS club, but some type of CAS wanna be group. <_<

I used 375 just a few days ago.  I wondered about the 404 route but did no try it.  Now that I know it is more than just "looks good on the map" I might try it.  I'm pulling a 37' travel trailer and had no trouble with the steep grades.  I did watch my temp gauges but kept one gear lower and stayed cool enough.  Truck is a Ram 2500 diesel and it does matter what you are driving and what you are towing.  

Archived