SASS Wire Forum

Long shot loading data for .38 + .45

Doc Nelson #19958

It is time to order some powder and looking to simplify, I am liking Longshot in my .45cap but I have no data for Longshot in 38 sp and 45 colt. 125 and 200 grain respectively. 

Anyone shooting longshot in these calibers? 

I have been using clays and hate its cold weather performance. I am trying to decide whether or not to go back to American Select.

Doc Nelson

21 minutes ago, Doc Nelson #19958 said:

have been using clays and hate its cold weather performance

Very widely known problem.    Switch to same weight (or 5% more) of Alliant Clay Dot powder, that's how I fixed that problem with Clays.

Longshot is a REAL SLOW burning rate shotgun/pistol powder.   I doubt you would get good Cowboy loads with it even if you could find some data - the workable data would likely give pretty high velocity.   The Hodgdon data only uses Longshot in "high performance" heavy jacketed bullets in .45 Colt loads.  I don't understand how you even make it work well in the .45 Auto!

Unique, Red Dot, WST, 700-X, TrailBoss, tons of other powders that will work in cold weather and give much better cowboy performance in .38 and .45 pistol cartridges!

Good luck, GJ

Loud Shot is great for heavy shotshell loads but not really suited to our game.  If Clays is unacceptable then Unique would be a good choice for a all around powder.

If you just must rely on that Heathen Fad Smokeless Stuff, my "Go-To" would be TightGroup.  If you wish to simplify, 3f BP.  Finding a load is also real simple, fill the case to the base of the bullet plus a little (compression) and your gold.  Or ...... 3f APP is my smoky "Go-To."  Equally simple.  Fill the case to the base of the bullet (any bullet) and your gold.  If you want lighter, reduce the powder and fill with Cream-0-Wheat.

Archived