SASS Wire Forum

10 G brass shotshell loading

Hoss

I recently acquired a 10 G double.  Fine old gun. 

I bought some 10 G brass hulls from Track of the Wolf. Loaded a few up m, all good. 

I fojnd 16 more brass hulls on eBay. They take 209 primers. 10 were brand new, 6 have been shot once. The brand new ones chamber easily. The once fired hulls not so much. They have been fired in a shotgun with a looser chamber than mine. They will only go in my gun about 3/4 of the way. Is their a way to size these? I know once I Shoot them in my gun they will fire form to correct size, but I’m trying to figure out how to size them so I can use them. 

Ideas?

Have a machinist bore you a hole the same size as the outside diameter of the new shotshell.

He should make it out of very thick steel.

Have him chamfer one side, and polish the hole.

Take the older brass hulls and drive them thru the drilled hole to resize them

At one time, I also thought you drive them thru a MEC sizing ring, but I never tried it.

--Dawg

From a post about resizing 10 gauge all brass hulls from double gun shop <http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&amp;Number=451137&amp;page=all>

Read the whole thread -- It's interesting

You CAN use a MEC or Texas 10 gauge sizing ring and column and vice and a hammer and drive out punch (wood or aluminum with hole bored out for primer bump)

I use Imperial Sizing wax on the hulls and use the vise to seat them into the sizing die, then use the punch/hammer to drive them out. Please insure the die body is long enough so you do not collapse the mouth of the hull when you seat it in the die body.

Works well and is inexpensive.

Oh, yes also have a 12 ton shop press but do not need it smile

MVC-038S6.JPG

Mike

I scored a batch of old 10 gauge brass hulls and some were blown out too big.I bought an extra 12 gauge sizing ring for a Lee Loadall and honed it out a bit.  I hammered in down on the hull with lots of lube.  Then hammered it off. Only a couple of bucks. 

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

I recently acquired a 10 G double.  Fine old gun. 

I bought some 10 G brass hulls from Track of the Wolf. Loaded a few up m, all good. 

I fojnd 16 more brass hulls on eBay. They take 209 primers. 10 were brand new, 6 have been shot once. The brand new ones chamber easily. The once fired hulls not so much. They have been fired in a shotgun with a looser chamber than mine. They will only go in my gun about 3/4 of the way. Is their a way to size these? I know once I Shoot them in my gun they will fire form to correct size, but I’m trying to figure out how to size them so I can use them. 

Ideas?

:lol: So, you're the guy I was bidding against. That was a pretty good buy - I spaced out the ending of the auction, or I would have bid again. ;)

I chucked a pipe reducer bushing in the ol' Jet lathe and turned it to the correct ID. I set it over the jaws of a vise, the case is tapped in, turn it over, tap the case back out with a dowel.

16 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

From a post about resizing 10 gauge all brass hulls from double gun shop <http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&amp;Number=451137&amp;page=all>

Read the whole thread -- It's interesting

You CAN use a MEC or Texas 10 gauge sizing ring and column and vice and a hammer and drive out punch (wood or aluminum with hole bored out for primer bump)

I use Imperial Sizing wax on the hulls and use the vise to seat them into the sizing die, then use the punch/hammer to drive them out. Please insure the die body is long enough so you do not collapse the mouth of the hull when you seat it in the die body.

Works well and is inexpensive.

Oh, yes also have a 12 ton shop press but do not need it smile

MVC-038S6.JPG

Mike

Thanks PD. Interesting reading

11 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

:lol: So, you're the guy I was bidding against. That was a pretty good buy - I spaced out the ending of the auction, or I would have bid again. ;)

I chucked a pipe reducer bushing in the ol' Jet lathe and turned it to the correct ID. I set it over the jaws of a vise, the case is tapped in, turn it over, tap the case back out with a dowel.

I was happy to get them.  they were cheaper than the new ones from Track of the Wolf.  I doubt the different primer really will matter. they are a tad longer at 2 7/8 inch vs 2 5/8, , but they chamber, so I'm sure they will be fine. 

If only I knew somebody who had a jet lathe and the skills to operate it, and the knowledge of what I am looking for..... ?????

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If only I knew somebody who had a jet lathe and the skills to operate it, and the knowledge of what I am looking for..... ?????

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013165170/lee-load-all-2-shotshell-press-sizer-die

And a Dremel tool until it just slips over one of the unfired hull - then polish.

The 209 primers will be fine. The Alcan shells are the ones that need modification, as the A209's are a tiny bit smaller in diameter and a standard 209 won't fit til you open the primer pocket up a few thousandths.

I sent an email to Midway a year or two back about the above video, asking why Larry would create a video showing how to do it, and then not carry the necessary items to do it with, specifically a sizer of some sort. It wouldn't likely be a big selling item, but their machinist could turn out a couple dozen simple sizer rings and they could put $50 apiece on them and make us 10g shooters very happy. Taking the machinist's time into account, editing the Web page to list them, putting them on a shelf in the warehouse, etc., they'd likely not even break even on them, but everybody who ordered one would order other things at the same time too.

The difference between nominal 12 gauge is .73 vs .77 for 10 gauge. That's .020 all the way around or not a lot. 

I've not examined the RCBS 12 gauge cowboy die to see if it just has a sizing ring and is hollow beyond.  Looks like if it was a sizing ring, then it should be an easy DIY project.  Just 25x more expensive then the Lee 12 gauge mod to 10 gauge.  Then you'd have to open up the shell holder to 10 gauge. 

Then you could buy a MEC sizing ring.  Here is a conversion kit for 600jr.  The 600 does not have the strength but you could pound the hull in and back out.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/10893

Here is just the MEC 10 gauge sizing ring. 

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/resize-ring

1626559834_10GuagesizingdieFeb2019.thumb.jpg.9266bbcb45c2bf8607d97ca12b517fec.jpg

Here is the dies I used to size bulged brass.  Left is stock MEC 10 gauge ring on tube.  Center is LEE 12 gauge sizing ring I opened up.   

I vaguely remember using both dies.  The MEC die is larger so I probably used it to do a first pass.  Then used the LEE ring to squeeze them down some more.

My loads are so light, they have never explained and I've used them in multiple old 10 gauge doubles. 

Archived