SASS Wire Forum

What do you call it?

Alpo

latest?cb=20110210214853

Wiki says that's a TIRE IRON.

Around here we'd call that a JACK HANDLE. At least back when I was growing up. Now it seems all cars come with screw jacks, so don't have a handle.

Book I'm reading. Scotsman. And they make a point of his being Scot, with his "aye" and "lass". He just asked if the "lass" had a torch, and she responded that, "this is the twenty first century - we don't use torches, we use flashlights".

Then he asked if she had a tire iron.

Hmmm. Do they call them tire irons in the UK? If they did it would be tyre irons B), but DO they?

Or do they use another term altogether?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

latest?cb=20110210214853

Wiki says that's a TIRE IRON.

Around here we'd call that a JACK HANDLE. At least back when I was growing up. Now it seems all cars come with screw jacks, so don't have a handle.

Book I'm reading. Scotsman. And they make a point of his being Scot, with his "aye" and "lass". He just asked if the "lass" had a torch, and she responded that, "this is the twenty first century - we don't use torches, we use flashlights".

Then he asked if she had a tire iron.

Hmmm. Do they call them tire irons in the UK? If they did it would be tyre irons B), but DO they?

Or do they use another term altogether?

It's an a--hole alignment tool.  I've used one to straighten out a few people in my time.  I can be used for other things as well.

38 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That is a tire iron.

+1

In the East, at least in Jersey, it was referred to as a TIRE IRON!

The socket end obviously for lug nuts. The pointy end used to pry the tire off the wheel, once the bead is broken.

BTDT. 

CJ

Wrangler,

Yep I forgot about hubcaps. Haven’t had one in so long they slipped my mind, what is left of it.

Technically, a tire iron is a tool made to remove and install a tubeless tire on a rim.  That said, we called a L shaped device with a socket on one end and a flattened tip on the other a tire iron or a lug wrench when i was growing up.  Most of us had a "4 way" lug wrench, as beyond having different sizes, it was easier to manipulate than the L shaped version.  

The L shaped version also was used as the jack handle for a bumper jack.  My first two trucks had bumper jacks.  They were about as dangerous an implement as I ever used.  

I call it a lug wrench,  it also has many other uses that have been mentioned.  It addition to removing lug nuts and hub caps they do well as a personal defense device.;) 

Blackfoot

Lug wrench:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lug wrench&tbm=isch

Tire Iron:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tire iron&tbm=isch

Attitude adjuster: this made me laugh...

https://www.google.com/search?q=attitude adjuster&tbm=isch

My Dad actually referred to them as a lug wrench when changing a tire and a tire iron when he planned to use it for attitude adjustment.

I call them “useless knucklebusters”

latest?cb=20110210214853

and this was a 

On 2/7/2019 at 10:03 AM, Cactus Jack Calder said:

+1

The socket end obviously for lug nuts. The pointy end used to pry the tire off the wheel, once the bead is broken.

BTDT. 

CJ

Or the flat end to remove hubcaps, back when cars had hubcaps.

On 2/7/2019 at 9:35 AM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Most of us had a "4 way" lug wrench

I knew I was 'big time' when I could spin one of these while removing/installing the lug nuts.  Just like the pros did at the garage.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:03 AM, Cactus Jack Calder said:

+1

BTDT. 

CJ

Pointy end is for prying off the hubcap off...

According to Smokin’ Limey, she always called it a “Tyre Wrench”.  She does say that those “Up North” have some funny words and cannot say for sure.:D

Jack handle.

I've only used on as a lug wrench ONCE.  I was 19 and weighed all of 145 pounds at the time.  Wasn't strong enough to break the lugs loose by hand and was so light I had to stand on the thing and bounce. 

After that level of struggling, I went down to the auto parts store and bought a 4 way lug wrench.  I keep one in the vehicles and bought one for my nieces's vehicles when they started driving.

Archived