SASS Wire Forum

Need Advice on Rifles...

David Balthazar

Enjoy!

1. Make sure the store will take it back if you aren't happy and/or has feeding issues. 

2. Be prepared to lose at least $300 should you decide to sell it.

I/we are not trying to discourage you. We've all been there and are trying to help you save money.

Don't overlook the new (Miroku)Winchester 1873's either. My son(14) shoots one and they're pretty nice and reasonably light.  @Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 recently did an out of the box to the first stage review to demonstrate how good they are. 

42 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

As configured, Taylor's want's $1955 for the half round/oct barrel.  I am reaching out to Boomstick to discuss this morning.

YIKES! That's one pricey '73!

Yeah, that price seems way high.  I'm looking at a brand new Taylor's Uberti half octagon half round chambered in .45 LC on Gun Broker.  The buy it now price is $1,175 with $35 for shipping.   That took me about 2 minutes to search up and there are 6 more results that fit - .45LC, half round/half octagon, Uberti.  Some are pistol grip and some are straight stock, all are brand new.

So how much extra will the short lever, slicked internals and bead sight cost?  I have found several Taylors of various flavors, but not always 18 inches, ranging from $1K up, but none with case hardening and all requiring a round trip to the gunsmith.

10 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

So how much extra will the short lever, slicked internals and bead sight cost?  I have found several Taylors of various flavors, but not always 18 inches, ranging from $1K up, but none with case hardening and all requiring a round trip to the gunsmith.

Here is a link to Longhunters action job site.  It will give you an idea of what the work costs.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Don't overlook the new (Miroku)Winchester 1873's either. My son(14) shoots one and they're pretty nice and reasonably light.  @Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 recently did an out of the box to the first stage review to demonstrate how good they are. 

I believe the Winchester is the best bang for the buck based on quality issues with the Uberti guns. There is a lot of aftermarket parts for the Uberti guns as they are supplied with more than a few short comings. The fit and finish on the Winchesters are somewhat better than the Uberti, just the stock finish looks like quality, no machining marks on the metal. The street price on the Winchesters is less than the Uberti's. Last but not least, the Winchester is branded as a Winchester. I have over the years owned more than a few Uberti's, everyone of them needed "smoothing up". I would buy one again if I couldn't get a Winchester. 

56 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

The ones I saw on GB had case hardening.  I don't know what Cowboys and Indians or any of the other's are charging for a short stroke with action job.  I had mine done by Marshall Harlan Wolff for 2 grand total, but he doesn't do them anymore.  I think Jimmy Spurs charges $400 for the action job, plus the cost of the short stroke kit ($185 or so) and any needed springs, sights etc.  You could probably get one loaded out the door for around $700 plus the cost of the gun.   I think Longhunter has them for about $1800 out the door.

If you're comparing a rifle you buy direct from Taylors with one you send to a reputable cowboy gunsmith you're making an apples to oranges comparison.  Yeah a Taylors with some type of factory work may be 'ready to go' out of the box, but I don't think it will be comparable to one that's had a 5th gen C&I kit put in and had an action job.  

Watch this, it isn't a color case hardened version but you should be able to find one for less than $1400. If you don't know Deuce is a world champion and I promise he knows his way around a competition rifle. The 20" version weighs 7.5 lbs which will be very close to the Taylor's.

For the price, a new Winchester '73 has a lot of bang for the buck and is very usable out of the box.

Were it me, I'd strip the bluing off to antique it, put a crescent buttplate on it, add Indian tack art, and run it like I stole it.  As a matter of fact, I have a Chaparral that might just get that treatment. :lol:

Just ordered a Taylor 1873 "Comanchero" in 18 inch octagonal barrel with case hardened finish, walnut wood, elk skin leather, 10+1, gold bead sight, short throw, slicked internals, hammer, trigger, etc. and for my peace of mind--all under one warranty-- for $1471.00. 

At the end of the day, I will have a rifle that should hopefully have less issues and be tuned up in a one stop shop configuration.  I priced the other smiths (in fact I have heard told Codymatic is the one who tunes these rifles for Taylor) and they all would have landed me about here or for $100-300 more (unless I went with another cheaper model gun). 

I will try and do a table top if I get a chance.

It is almost too pretty to shoot, but definitely a gun I can grow into.  Thank you all for your advice!

2018-l_2609_2_.jpg

2018-r_2611_2__1.jpg

image.png.e6f94e5dc44a46959628c0501f0b6408.png

image.png.75e12c73b9e0fe1d8efb0b295ef28c14.png

Good job David, I think you'll be happy with that rifle.  I've been runnin one in 20" since 2012 with out a problem.  I don't think Cody doe's there rifle's now, but at one time i heard he did.  I do believe he source's his rifle's from Taylor's  though.  Either way you'll have a nice rifle, just be prepaired for that first ding or scratch it will happen eventually no matter how careful ya are.

I am trying to think of it as a "working man's gun" and am having a "smidge" of buyer's remorse due to cost, but trying to levy that against the fact is I own a Rossi 92 (wrong caliber) and a Marlin (wrong caliber), lol.  And I like customized pretty guns... soooo...:)

I have a slicked chi-com 1897 on the way, now all I need is the leathers...

31 minutes ago, David Balthazar said:

I am trying to think of it as a "working man's gun" and am having a "smidge" of buyer's remorse due to cost, but trying to levy that against the fact is I own a Rossi 92 (wrong caliber) and a Marlin (wrong caliber), lol.  And I like customized pretty guns... soooo...:)

I have a slicked chi-com 1897 on the way, now all I need is the leathers...

Greasy Red over in Silver City, NM does good leather.  Much of what I wear is from him.  Let me know if you want his price list an I will send it to you.  Bob Mernickle does nice leather too.

Bring some spare CAS ammo to matches for your "wrong caliber" rifles and bring them too.  Eventually our firearms break and we need our backups.

I think you'll be happy with it. As for the weight, it is heavier than my Rossi, but you're only shooting it for about 5 sec/ stage.;) Looks like you got a good price, too. I didn't pay an arm and leg for mine, just a kidney.

Archived