SASS Wire Forum

Would you shoot this match?

Texas Jack Daniels

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

If you're getting sponsors and all that with real prizes on the line...run whatever category you want...you can effectively set your own rules and become your own governing body. Think MGM Ironman... No need to kiss the ring. 

I think TJD is all about promoting SASS... Thank god.

Phantom

On 2/7/2019 at 6:27 PM, Flinthills Dawg said:

Now that's  sounds like a blast!!  I'm in!!!

Need a bunkmate for this match?

Sounds like too good of a match to pass up!

Give me a couple of months to lose enough to get back in my chaps...  Frontiersman... 

Duh!!  Absolutely!! Sounds like so much fun!!! Details, please!!

Hugs,

Scarlett

Hi all.  Thanks for the great support.  Here are more thoughts running around in my head. 

Judgement Day

The concept was “So, how good are you cowboy?”  So, every firearm is part of the match; derringer, pocket pistol, single shot, rifle caliber.  And every shooting discipline is part of the match traditional, duelist, gunfighter. 

A challenge was made to me once…. How do we get a thousand shooters to a match?  I’ve seen 800 but never a thousand.  SASS has about 35 thousand active members on its books. So that is about 3% or 3 out of every hundred shooters.  Maybe this is the wrong goal.  

All the sidebar stuff is eliminated.  Wild Bunch, side matches, costume contests, poker tournaments.  This is a cowboy action shooting match.  Everybody gets enough sleep.

We are cowboys.  So, no starched jeans, button down shirt, boots, and a hat. Full on classic cowboy dress. 

How many categories?  I am not sure.  Depends on the ages of the shooters, whether or not we have black powder, etc.  I will do a survey as soon as I figure out how to use Survey Monkey.

Where should we hold the match?  Depends on where the participants live, I think.  Find the range closest to most of them.  Or the question might end up being; “What ranges are available?”  I heard Sparta could handle a match of this size.  Two really great ranges have already expressed interest. 

One thought I had was Sparta, if it is still there.  Get 20 clubs to each design and bring in 1 stage and set it up and run it.  This worked once before on a smaller scale.

If you ever shot OWSA at Raton; that was 8 stages a day for 4 days.  32 stages.  Not many people shot the match, the targets were small, stages difficult.  Lots of walking. The match died.

What sort of awards should we have?  Are buckles enough?  How about firearms? or reloaders? or a golf cart? or….?

Is media coverage good?  You betcha.  What does it take to get Jim Scoutten to cover us?  How about national news?

And vendors.  Yep, we need vendors.  Charging them a fee never incents them.  Having a thousand shooters will. 

We will need funds.  Should we charge an entry fee?  Can we get enough funds from our sponsors to cover expenses?  What if we charge a fee and, if you show up, we give it back to you? 

Sponsors?  Yep,  need them a lot.  How do we get sponsors with deep enough pockets to fund this?  What will motivate a sponsor.  Shooters……  Yep, a thousand shooters,  and media coverage.  Sponsors need ROI. 

Need  a web designer.  Need marketing team.  Must promote and advertise.  Lot’s to do.

Why only 4 stages a day? Commancheria Days used to be 8 a day.  Every survey I’ve ever done said 5 was a good number.  6 didn’t leave enough time to socialize. If the range has 20 physical stages then each posse shoots 4 a day, each posse has 25 on a posse.  That’s 500 shooters, 3 waves a day for 1,500 maximum shooters.  If the range has 12 physical stages then each posse shoots 4 a day, each posse has 25 on a posse.  That’s 300 shooters, 3 waves a day for 900 maximum shooters.  Maybe 10 physical stages and the second 2 days are all new stages.

Camping?  That’s a lot of campers.  Parking for a thousand cars, or more…… 

How do we score this?  Total time.  Every shooter gets a secret number.  Every day times are posed using only the secret number as an identifier.  Nobody gets to look up someone else’s scores unless that person reveals their secret number.    

As you can tell I have been thinking about this a lot.  I am a strong SASS supporter.  I’d love to be able to pull this off.  We will need a team to do it.   I am serious about this.    My target date is fall of 2020.

Okay , I've got to get some more guns but I'm there !

To Quote this Posse Marshall ---- " Who the hell is  X  Mark ? "

On 2/6/2019 at 4:38 PM, Assassin said:

Why just 4 stages per day?

Because large numbers of competitors mandates 4 a day so they can accommodate more people. EOT and Winter Range do it for the same reason.

I'd love to shoot this, but I'm not retired yet so location would matter a bit. Maybe Redwood Kid and I can carpool! Be great if I could bring both kids too, but I'd have to pull them out of school for a week or so. 

Categories, hmmm. well, ya can't have a Gunfighter category as they will be required to shoot part of it traditional. And ya can't have traditional for the same reason. I say keep it simple.

Smokeless, 38 cal and and below, 40 cal and above.

Blackpowder, same thing. 

Duplicate this for women.

Probably too simple for most folks.

Oh, and all prizes are raffle, not performance based. I prefer this to be a fun match, not a race to the top.

4 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Categories, hmmm. well, ya can't have a Gunfighter category as they will be required to shoot part of it traditional. And ya can't have traditional for the same reason. I say keep it simple.

Smokeless, 38 cal and and below, 40 cal and above.

Blackpowder, same thing. 

Duplicate this for women.

Probably too simple for most folks.

Oh, and all prizes are raffle, not performance based. I prefer this to be a fun match, not a race to the top. 

+ Infinity

5 hours ago, Texas Jack Daniels said:

Hi all.  Thanks for the great support.  Here are more thoughts running around in my head. 

Judgement Day

The concept was “So, how good are you cowboy?”  So, every firearm is part of the match; derringer, pocket pistol, single shot, rifle caliber.  And every shooting discipline is part of the match traditional, duelist, gunfighter. 

A challenge was made to me once…. How do we get a thousand shooters to a match?  I’ve seen 800 but never a thousand.  SASS has about 35 thousand active members on its books. So that is about 3% or 3 out of every hundred shooters.  Maybe this is the wrong goal.  

All the sidebar stuff is eliminated.  Wild Bunch, side matches, costume contests, poker tournaments.  This is a cowboy action shooting match.  Everybody gets enough sleep.

We are cowboys.  So, no starched jeans, button down shirt, boots, and a hat. Full on classic cowboy dress. 

How many categories?  I am not sure.  Depends on the ages of the shooters, whether or not we have black powder, etc.  I will do a survey as soon as I figure out how to use Survey Monkey.

Where should we hold the match?  Depends on where the participants live, I think.  Find the range closest to most of them.  Or the question might end up being; “What ranges are available?”  I heard Sparta could handle a match of this size.  Two really great ranges have already expressed interest. 

One thought I had was Sparta, if it is still there.  Get 20 clubs to each design and bring in 1 stage and set it up and run it.  This worked once before on a smaller scale.

If you ever shot OWSA at Raton; that was 8 stages a day for 4 days.  32 stages.  Not many people shot the match, the targets were small, stages difficult.  Lots of walking. The match died.

What sort of awards should we have?  Are buckles enough?  How about firearms? or reloaders? or a golf cart? or….?

Is media coverage good?  You betcha.  What does it take to get Jim Scoutten to cover us?  How about national news?

And vendors.  Yep, we need vendors.  Charging them a fee never incents them.  Having a thousand shooters will. 

We will need funds.  Should we charge an entry fee?  Can we get enough funds from our sponsors to cover expenses?  What if we charge a fee and, if you show up, we give it back to you? 

Sponsors?  Yep,  need them a lot.  How do we get sponsors with deep enough pockets to fund this?  What will motivate a sponsor.  Shooters……  Yep, a thousand shooters,  and media coverage.  Sponsors need ROI. 

Need  a web designer.  Need marketing team.  Must promote and advertise.  Lot’s to do.

Why only 4 stages a day? Commancheria Days used to be 8 a day.  Every survey I’ve ever done said 5 was a good number.  6 didn’t leave enough time to socialize. If the range has 20 physical stages then each posse shoots 4 a day, each posse has 25 on a posse.  That’s 500 shooters, 3 waves a day for 1,500 maximum shooters.  If the range has 12 physical stages then each posse shoots 4 a day, each posse has 25 on a posse.  That’s 300 shooters, 3 waves a day for 900 maximum shooters.  Maybe 10 physical stages and the second 2 days are all new stages.

Camping?  That’s a lot of campers.  Parking for a thousand cars, or more…… 

How do we score this?  Total time.  Every shooter gets a secret number.  Every day times are posed using only the secret number as an identifier.  Nobody gets to look up someone else’s scores unless that person reveals their secret number.    

As you can tell I have been thinking about this a lot.  I am a strong SASS supporter.  I’d love to be able to pull this off.  We will need a team to do it.   I am serious about this.    My target date is fall of 2020.

Tell you what I’ll do to help kick this off, I’ll donate a custom gun cart as one of the awards. 

21 hours ago, Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator said:

Because large numbers of competitors mandates 4 a day so they can accommodate more people. EOT and Winter Range do it for the same reason.

That's why some folks can not participate at WR or EOT. I'd have take off 9 days in order to shoot this match. 2 days drive each way and 5 days of shooting. Those of us that are not retired or self employed can't dedicate that much time to shoot. I agree with the concept of the match. However, 5 days with a bunch of standing around is not good time management for myself. If you consider 20 shooters per posse and two waves the following will work for most of the folks I shoot with.

4 days with 6 stages equates to 960 shooters or 3 days with 6 stages equates to 720 shooters. I'm sure the 5 day 20 stage match is just a starting point for such a large undertaking. Many say they would shoot such an event, when the location is determined many will not be able to travel that far or take that much time off. If it's within a days drive folks will participate. It's a grand idea, all will not be pleased with the location.

Heck yeah I'd shoot that match.  Sounds kinda like some the shenanigans we pull at out "Classic" matches at our club anyway.  I'm in, just let me know when and where!!!

Sounds Like a Great time!!!!!

Jax T

While I wouldn't shoot it, I hope you have great success in making it happen. I've never shot at Sparta, but I hear that it's a great range. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is owned by the State of Illinois, and I'm pretty sure there would be a significant cost to using it 

Wow, I was just thinking about having to make up the posse's. If the shoot did get 2000 shooters, that's 100 posse's if there are 20 per posse.

And, not knowing many of the shooters would make it a very difficult task.

While holding firm to the idea of; No side matches, No Wild Bunch, No banquets, No costume contests,....  I am getting feedback that seems to say we need categories.

Remember; you will shoot a derringer, pocket pistol, big bore single shot and big bore lever as part of the match.  If you don't have one, one will be made available.  Big bore targets will be very large and at 75 to 125 yards. 

Some thing like: 

Ultimate                   Shoots stages traditional, gunfighter, and duelist 

Traditional               Two handed shooting 

Duelist                      One handed shooting 

Gunfighter                One handed one in each hand 

Throw in smokeless/black-powder and male/female   (4x2x2=16)  we end up with 16 categories (not counting anything we do with age splits.

If we split the age groups into thirds (kids, adults, mature) we end up with 48. This is a subset of SASS.  I am trying not to end up with a zillion categories. 

Do you all want a lot of categories, a few categories, or very few categories? 

Archived