SASS Wire Forum

Cost per round of reloading

Moe T Vator

I cast my own, so that helps. I reload for 4 shooters, and 2 of us shoot BP, which is especially expensive if bought commercially. And as I am basically a stay at home Dad, I have more time than money, although both can be in short supply sometimes. As for shotgun reloading being worth it, besides the fact than my daughter and I shoot BP, some times you just fall into deals. I picked up about 4,000 empty hulls on Craigslist for free from a guy who was moving. And a friend of mine gave me 40,000 shotgun primers that he got from an old guy he knew that was getting out of shooting. And I stocked up on shot years ago at 15.00/bag, and I still have 20 bags left. So a no brainer on doing shotgun shells. My 2 Dillons paid for themselves years ago.

I don’t have time to do the math but  load a lot of odd cartridges that are insanely expensive.  For example, 45-75 is $82 a box of 20 ($4.10 a round).  I don’t have to price it out by component to figure out that reloading will save me a ton of money.  

I don’t reload 9mm or .223 (though I save the brass).  Everything else I load.  

7 minutes ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

I don’t have time to do the math but  load a lot of odd cartridges that are insanely expensive.  For example, 45-75 is $82 a box of 20 ($4.10 a round).  I don’t have to price it out by component to figure out that reloading will save me a ton of money.  

I don’t reload 9mm or .223 (though I save the brass).  Everything else I load.  

What 45-70 rounds are running you $82/20???

Phantom

14 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

What 45-70 rounds are running you $82/20???

Phantom

He said 45-75

As Mad Dog Jack noted, its 45-75 for an 1876 winchester, not 45-70.  I load that as well for some 1886s and trapdoors, but that is cheaper than $82 for 20.  Still, it is much cheaper to load 45-70 as well.  

Archived