SASS Wire Forum

Sheriffs Model SAA

Ninety Caliber Al, 50218

I don't think they are still making them, but Colt was still marketing them just a couple of years ago.   Added bonus to a Colt, even brand new they are C&R.   (But only in .44 or .45)  I've got two of them with dual .44-40 and .44 Special cylinders.   Loads of fun.   Especially if you pair one with a Buntline Special.  You see them on Gunbroker and other sites fairly regularly.

I have a Colt in 44-40 with a spare .44 Special cylinder. Great gun. There are also shopkeepers model around with a slightly longer barrel.

Years ago, I had an Italian one (it was the actual one Mike Venterino reviewed for G&A).  It was a very good and accurate gun.  In the 80s I shot it in CAS matches as a pocket pistol.  Tons of fun especially with full house BP rounds (I once set a pocket pistol target on fire from the muzzle blast). I sold it on at some point but now have a 3rd gen Colt 44-40/.44  spl.  Rules have changed and they are no longer legal for pocket pistol so I don’t get to shoot it much but it is still cool.

My old friend, the late Diamond Dick (SASS hall of fame) used to carry an engraved, nickle Sheriff’s  model with ivory grips as his duty gun when he was captain of homocide for the Sacramento Sherriffs department.  A class act.

I have not seen an italian one for sale in a while.  For some reason they seem to only make the version with an ejector (a gun that never existed).  Colt made some very nice sherriff’s models recently in .45.  Not sure if they are still available new,  but used ones are around.  Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.  

Archived