SASS Wire Forum

Hopalong Cassidy

DocWard

I found this one on Facebook, and thought I'd post here.

The caption reads "Cowboy actor Hopalong Cassidy (William Boyd) visiting downtown Logan, Ohio in Hocking Co. in the 1950s. Notice the little 'Indians" in the foreground."

51260347_10217116345875754_227369929358180352_n.jpg

I read about him. He was very much the Hollywood womanizer until he started getting into his role. He said something like with millions of kids looking up to him as a role model he had to live the part. In the 1950s he was a rockstar marketing phenomenon. I still watch every show. I think California Carlson is his best sidekick out of the parade of side kicks he had.

One thing that really impressed me about him was the little talks he would have with his audience as part of the credits. They were all related to being a well behaved kid and good citizen. He made it seem like he was talking to you specifically.

I have 40 of his Hoppy movies on DVD and they all have been remastered, like they were filmed yesterday except in B&W.

3 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Hoppy had an interesting life; riches to rags to riches.  The Western Channel used to show a documentary on him with his widow, Grace appearing in it.  She had some touching and funny stories about him.

I think that might be rags to riches to rags again to riches again. He was born in Hendrysburg Ohio, a few counties away from where the above picture was taken, before his family moved to Oklahoma.

15 hours ago, DocWard said:

I found this one on Facebook, and thought I'd post here.

The caption reads "Cowboy actor Hopalong Cassidy (William Boyd) visiting downtown Logan, Ohio in Hocking Co. in the 1950s. Notice the little 'Indians" in the foreground."

51260347_10217116345875754_227369929358180352_n.jpg

Racist.  He'll have that come back to haunt him if he ever tries to run for office.

Oh, wait, he also carried guns, rode horses, shot bad guys, and preached morality  :rolleyes:.

10 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Racist.  He'll have that come back to haunt him if he ever tries to run for office.

Oh, wait, he also carried guns, rode horses, shot bad guys, and preached morality  .

No, he wasn't racist in that photo. Those kids were guilty of "cultural appropriation. "  :rolleyes: ;)

26 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

And died in ‘72.

HOPPY'S DEAD????

OMG, WHATS NEXT?

I'll need to find something appropriate to send his family.  Wonder what I might find at Montgomery Ward or Woolworth, or maybe at Mervin's?

22 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

No, he wasn't racist in that photo. Those kids were guilty of "cultural appropriation. "  :rolleyes: ;)

Yeah, and my family landed in Virginia in 1651, just 31 years after the Mayflower.  By definition that means I'm a Native American, but I've had to fight my way out of a ton of places for stating that.  Granted, I'm not one of the original Native Americans, but then neither are most of the tribes who have been here for many more centuries than my folks have.  We have all "appropriated" some culture at some point in time.

Finally found the picture. This is me taken a few years ago wearing my prized Hopalong Cassidy pants.

hopalong.jpg

Archived