SASS Wire Forum

FS Original C.Miles 9ga Dbl percussion shotgun new price

Irontree

For sale:

Good condition  "C. Miles" English made 9 Gauge  percussion shotgun.  Manufactured sometime between 1850 and 1880.

This is a water fowl gun so it is constructed heavier that the upland game guns.  It has no cast off the stock so it's good for lefties as well as right handers.

It had modern nipples on it when I bought it.  So it's been used through contemporary owners and not just a mantle piece.

It has the thick wrist, with heavier stock and thicker barrels to withstand the heavy charges common to water fowling. 

I've shot those loads in it a few times hunting and for practice.  It was not unlike shooting my 50-90 Shiloh with a 640 grain bullet.

It didn't bother the gun in the slightest.  Most of the time I use 3 & 1/2  drams and 1 & 1/2 oz of shot which gives a good game & target load.  

4 drams with 1 & 5/8ths #4 of shot was awesome on a Turkey at 22 yards. I did use a 10ga shot cup over the 9 ga fiber wad to close up the group and extend the range, but it at 22 yards it was overkill.  I'd thought I might need to shoot out to 35 yards while I was working up the load.  

All around solid hunting gun that is still ready to get dinner or bust clays.

The barrels had been shortened to 27 & 1/8th many years ago and it appears to have been a professional job as that fuller was solder filled, the barrels crowned.

A very square neatly done job.

There is some corrosion loss to the bottom of the right hammer's cup.  One screw was replaced with a brass screw that just looks too good to replace.

I've used this gun to hunt with, shoot BP skeet, woods walks and shot it at Friendship last year in competition.  Never had a problem with it. 

I'm looking for $450 for this old brute.  But will consider reasonable offers.

P shotgun 3.jpg

P shotgun 4.jpg

P shotgun 2.jpg

P shotgun.jpg

P shotgun 5.jpg

Both Dixie Gun Works and  Precision Reloading carry 9ga shooting supplies for this shotgun. 

Archived