SASS Wire Forum

How cold can it get?

Based on the sub-zero temperatures caused by the Polar Vortex, northerners are experiencing the effects on everyday items.

This bowl of noodles with fork appear magical. :o

1126331134_Frozennoodles-Chicago.JPG.8a474f8d3dd4d40a5907d20a8b33a77b.JPG

The water in this toilet froze causing the porcelain tank itself to explode. :blink:

896487917_toilettankexplode.JPG.e80657e1a3fb5c8238ce387469479332.JPG

And something as simple as a water bubble freezes in less than 30 seconds. :excl:

5 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Glad to see some people are actually having fun...

Sixgun:

Maybe too much fun.

Boiling water freezes in mid-air.

Ya got me beat Jabez. The coldest I've had it was -60, surprisingly, at CFB Cold Lake.

Father, that ice bubble forming is pretty!

Thanks for posting it.

I think the coldest I experienced was -40 in Chicago back in ‘79. Actually that was wind chill with -10 or -20, I believe. Regardless, it was dang cold. In Biddeford Maine in Feb of ‘89 I got to experience bitter cold with Atlantic winds. Spit froze before it hit the ground. I don’t recall the temperature. I believe the little REI thermometer I had attached to my backpack said there wasn’t any temperature. 

I can't show the effect of 98.6 F. liquid flying through the air at -30 or -40 wind chill! But you can hear it crackle as it freezes in mid-air! :o :ph34r:  "Thirty, thirty and thirty!  Thirty-below with a 30 knot (or is it 30 mph) wind, exposed flesh will freeze in 30 seconds!"  It definitely pays to get your business done in a hurry!

-50F is the coldest that I experienced and that was at RCAF Stn Val d'Or, Quebec back in the early 60's.  Lived in Edmonton, Alberta when it was -50F in the Saskatchewan River valley however, we lived up top where it would hit -40F max due to the heat of the buildings and vehicle exhaust.

Archived