SASS Wire Forum

Your Garands

Utah Bob #35998

What fun!  ^_^

Springfield, May '43.  DCM purchase '87 or '88.  I'll never forget that day, home in bed with the flu, miserable as all get-out.  Doorbell rings... a few minutes later the [now former] Missus Hardpan walks into the bedroom and drops a heavy carton next to me with the announcement, "It's M-One time!"

Boy, did THAT ever make me feel better!  :lol:

272344501_Hardpan-Rifle2.thumb.jpg.ca30448575244544a225db47dde7e640.jpg

(Just for fun - it's older brother - May '42, Remington built '03)  :)

1105387411_Hardpan-Rifle1.thumb.jpg.676ed66276664dfd2a1a42cedc04cbda.jpg

17 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Nice, except you could really use a nice mil-spec 1911 (like an Auto Ordnance) in place of that modern one.

Better yet, I could use my 1914 Colt Commercial Model "Canadian Contract" 1911, that first seen action on the Western Front in 1915 (while you guys were on coffee break). It also "went over the top" on 09 April 1917 in the hands of a Canadian soldier from the Battalion that was formed in Winnipeg Manitoba. A number of "Canadian Contract" pistols were passed down from WW1 veterans to their sons or friends that went into uniform in 1939 for WW2. Since the WW2 re-enactor matches that I participated in were 3 gun matches that is why I had a shotgun pouch on the back of my 1917 dated web gear. At the time I used a Winchester M97 Trench gun.

Too damn cold to plow today (-17 with a high of -6), but I got the F350 started and fought my way to the mailbox & back, so it's a done deal.

Now... it seems there are some rather specific loads for Garands - any favorites?

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Too damn cold to plow today (-17 with a high of -6), but I got the F350 started and fought my way to the mailbox & back, so it's a done deal.

Now... it seems there are some rather specific loads for Garands - any favorites?

I keep mine as close to the original M2 Ball specs as possible.

There's some info here

https://m1-garand-rifle.com/m1-garand-assembly/ammo.php

I can't use the CMP/Greek ammo at my indoor range because of the steel component, so I've been using PPU ammo available from Midway USA. Apparently the FMJ ammo isn't available from them anymore, but the soft point is. Same specs otherwise so your op rod should be safe.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/713462/prvi-partizan-ammunition-30-06-springfield-150-grain-soft-point-box-of-20

This second link shows what I have on the shelf. Good stuff, but I haven't purchase from this outfit.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/prvi-partizan-m1-garand-ammunition-30-06-springfield-fmj-150-grain-20-rounds?a=1791292

13 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I can't use the CMP/Greek ammo at my indoor range because of the steel component, so I've been using PPU ammo available from Midway USA. Apparently the FMJ ammo isn't available from them anymore, but the soft point is. Same specs otherwise so your op rod should be safe.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/713462/prvi-partizan-ammunition-30-06-springfield-150-grain-soft-point-box-of-20

This second link shows what I have on the shelf. Good stuff, but I haven't purchase from this outfit.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/prvi-partizan-m1-garand-ammunition-30-06-springfield-fmj-150-grain-20-rounds?a=1791292

I  use Sportsman’s Guide all the time with no problems. 

All the M1 Garands posted are GREAT!  This thread inspired me to update my group photo so I took them all out of the safe along with the appropriate bayonets for the photographs.  Also updated the info for each which is cut and pasted here.  As I was putting them away realized I forgot to put the M2 flash hiders on the 3 snipers so there is a separate photo of them.  Oh and I also included the 1941 Johnson in the family portrait, hope you don't mind.

Scout 

1        1)    SF model M1 Garand, made 1943, 30-06 cal, auto-loading, Model 1905 bayonet, parked PAL dated 1942 w/ M3 scabbard

2)    Model 1941 Johnson Auto, made 1941, 30-06 cal, auto-loading, Johnson socket/spike bayonet w/ Johnson leather scabbard

3)    SF model M1 Garand, made 1945 (re-barrel 1951), 30-06 cal, auto-loading, M1905E1 bayonet, parked AFH dated 1943 cut spire point by AFH (brown grips) w/ M3 scabbard modified to M7 scabbard

4)    SF model M1C Garand Sniper with M82 scope 2.5x,  made 1944 (re-barrel 1953), 30-06 cal, auto-loading, SA M2 cone flash hider, M1905E1 bayonet, blue WT dated 1942 cut bowie tip by UFH w/ M7 scabbard

5)    SF model M1C Garand (SA-52 marked) Tribute USMC M1952 Sniper with Kollmorgen Bear Cub scope 4x w/ MC1 mount, made 1944 (re-barrel 1953), 30-06 cal, auto-loading, Hart M2 cone flash hider, M1 bayonet, U.C. 10” w/ M7 scabbard

6)    Winchester model M1D Garand Sniper with M84 scope 2.2x,  made 1944 (Converted SF barrel 1951 – DCM paperwork), 30-06 cal, auto-loading, Hart M2 cone flash hider, M5 bayonet, Imperial w/ BM Co M8 scabbard

7)    SF model M1D Garand Sniper with Weaver K4 scope w/special 1” mount, made 1952 barrel dated 1-53, 30-06 cal, auto-loading, T37 prong flash hider, M5 bayonet, JD Tool Co w/ VP Co M8A1 scabbard

8)    Mk2 Mod 1HR Modified SF for Navy, made 1942 (re-barrel 1965), .308/7.62 cal, auto-loading, M5A1 bayonet, Mil Par Col w/ PWH M8A1 scabbard (metal tip)

M1F.JPG

M1F2.JPG

M1R.JPG

M1R2.JPG

M1 FH.JPG

WOW! What a collection. My own preference when it comes to U.S. military small arms is to have them just the way they are. I have seen M1873 Trapdoor Springfields of the so-called "Custer" serial number range, with the early rifle rear sight, along with the later 1877 thick-wrist stock. I have also seen them with the earlier carbine rear sight, but with slotted screws holding the sight to the barrel, instead of the slotless screws originally installed by the arsenal.  Obviously, someone didn't think the rifle sight looked "right", and replaced it with an early carbine sight, thinking to make it look "right".  But they left the later stock on. It happens that a number of cavalry company commanders wanted .45-70-405 ammo issued, rather that the .45-55-505 ammo intended for the cavalry carbines, along with a change in the rear sights to compensate...they thought...for the more powerful ammo.  In other words, finding a rifle rear sight on an early Trapdoor Springfield is historically correct!

In the case of M1 Garand rifles, about the only ones that would be "blueprinted" were those that never left an arsenal, or, possibly went to Britain on Lend-Lease and returned in the 1950's!  In which case they might be all matching numbersTo me, they don't "say" much.  The U.S. military has only been interested in a functioning, "serviceable" weapon.  To make that happen, they generally used whatever replacement parts could be grabbed out of the parts bin, or cannibalized from another weapon that too far gone to be reworked into operating condition.  I once had a DCM M1 Carbine that had too much headspace.  My Dad was on two-weeks active duty with the reserves, and I was able to get to the ordnance NCO at the post armory.  I explained my problem, and he grabbed an M2 bolt from the bin, replaced the M1 bolt, checked the headspace, and handed me back the M1 Carbine...presto!  (The carbine got traded off decades ago! :( )  "Blue-printed"?  Nope, but we had a functioning arm! Just MHO! ;)

My first Garand bought in 1978 when I was County Sheriff.  A 1954 International Harvester.  Local Highway Patrolman got one at the same time, also an IHC. I found out later they came from South America. Mine is mostly all IHC parts including the stock. Seemed like a lot of money at the time for a newly married 28 year old making $750 a month.

IMG_0053a.thumb.jpg.e9403d3c46c1e40df24becd1fb7f17f5.jpgIMG_0054_LI.thumb.jpg.09c380dd0daf2372d9625bcb11cce8c4.jpg

1 hour ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

My first Garand bought in 1978 when I was County Sheriff.  A 1954 International Harvester.  Local Highway Patrolman got one at the same time, also an IHC. I found out later they came from South America. Mine is mostly all IHC parts including the stock. Seemed like a lot of money at the time for a newly married 28 year old making $750 a month.

IMG_0053a.thumb.jpg.e9403d3c46c1e40df24becd1fb7f17f5.jpgIMG_0054_LI.thumb.jpg.09c380dd0daf2372d9625bcb11cce8c4.jpg

IHCs bring big bucks these days.

On 2/6/2019 at 8:09 PM, Major Crimes said:

I am guessing you guys dont pay what we would have to for one of these:blush:

$3990 in the used market, if you can get a Prohibited Weapons Licence.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=143537

the weapon is prohibited but you can still get a licence for it??

so the only thing that makes it prohibited is no licence?

I first got introduced to the M1 in High School Jr. ROTC. The first year there we had them and I have wanted one since. I did buy one that was from the bunch that came through ODCMP. It was a Greek return. It was a Harrington & Richardson. Metal was in real good shape and the bore was very good. The stock has some dings and the top fore end wood was pale compared to the rest of the wood. That pale piece of wood was replaced with one a bit darker. Other than that it shoots fine although I don't shoot it as much as I would like. It is in this pic of my U.S. made .30 cal. firearms.  

IMG_0773.JPG

On 2/12/2019 at 10:05 PM, Dustin Checotah said:

I first got introduced to the M1 in High School Jr. ROTC. The first year there we had them and I have wanted one since. I did buy one that was from the bunch that came through ODCMP. It was a Greek return. It was a Harrington & Richardson. Metal was in real good shape and the bore was very good. The stock has some dings and the top fore end wood was pale compared to the rest of the wood. That pale piece of wood was replaced with one a bit darker. Other than that it shoots fine although I don't shoot it as much as I would like. It is in this pic of my U.S. made .30 cal. firearms.  

IMG_0773.JPG

Nice pic.  Love the Krag.

Your forestock was either birch or beech, mprobably birch as it was a Greek return that is what Greece and Denmark were using for replacements. They can be dyed but won't quite match the US walnut stocks. Got a beech forearm on a stock I'm refinishing for the post right now.

55 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

You guys have inspired me to get a picture of all of my vets.  If it don't rain this weekend I'll set them out on the deck like dustin did and climb up on a ladder. 

Look forward to the photo!

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Nice pic.  Love the Krag.

Your forestock was either birch or beech, mprobably birch as it was a Greek return that is what Greece and Denmark were using for replacements. They can be dyed but won't quite match the US walnut stocks. Got a beech forearm on a stock I'm refinishing for the post right now. 

Utah, 

Thanks. I was pretty sure that I had heard that about the birch or beech before. I know it would not have made a difference in functioning. I just wanted it to look more like I was used to. That and I had bought a parts kit many years before that had a dark handguard so I just switched. Then sold the parts kit at a gunshow.

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

You guys have inspired me to get a picture of all of my vets.  If it don't rain this weekend I'll set them out on the deck like dustin did and climb up on a ladder. 

I used a stepladder about 5 ' tall for this.

Hope to see yours soon.

Anyone have an H&R stock that they would be willing to trade for a very nice Springfield Armory stock with correct cartouches? I have an H&R rifle with a SA stock and would like it to be all H&R if possible. Maybe you have a SA with and H&R stock???

Bugler

Archived