SASS Wire Forum

Your Garands

Utah Bob #35998

Not wanting to sidetrack Ramblin Gambler’s tung oil thread, let’s see yall’s pics of your personal “finest battle implement ever devised”. :wub:

AB32D6BA-866F-4441-9E3D-B8FC161206A3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Major Crimes said:

I am guessing you guys dont pay what we would have to for one of these:blush:

$3990 in the used market, if you can get a Prohibited Weapons Licence.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=143537

Ouch.

Sorry I don't have mine anymore but I purchased mine thru the DCM remember them?  I believe the price was about $120.00 mailed direct to my door.  I think they only sold about 200 a year and you had to go thru a qualifying process to buy one.  Finger prints and background check and proof of competition and qualifying club membership.  Went to Camp Perry Small Arms Firing School to qualify back in the early 80's.  That was a long time ago!

2 hours ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Sorry I don't have mine anymore but I purchased mine thru the DCM remember them?  I believe the price was about $120.00 mailed direct to my door.  I think they only sold about 200 a year and you had to go thru a qualifying process to buy one.  Finger prints and background check and proof of competition and qualifying club membership.  Went to Camp Perry Small Arms Firing School to qualify back in the early 80's.  That was a long time ago!

You still have to do the background and qualified club membership but competition is not necessary anymore.

1 minute ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

You can still buy them through CMP.  You have to jump through several hoops like a club or association membership.  They will still mail them to your door.

Depends on the state. Some have to go through an FFL.

15 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I am guessing you guys dont pay what we would have to for one of these:blush:

$3990 in the used market, if you can get a Prohibited Weapons Licence.

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=143537

Isn't a "prohibited weapons license" a contradiction in terms? :huh:

41 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Well, it IS a term dreamed up by the government, after all.

It's one rifle I've never owned. :( I've got a bunch of clips and meet all the CMP requirements, so maybe it's time. Those of you that have CMP rifles, what grade did you get and is there anything specific to look for or avoid? I'm not looking for a numbers matching collector grade, but a decent looking rifle that would be expected to shoot well.

Parts-matching rifles (only receiver had the actual SN) are very expensive and not something you're likely to shoot. Most have also been restored to matching status since very few rifles actually survived without ever being repaired or arsenal reworked. The vast majority of Garands are mixmasters, and that's perfectly fine since that's what most soldiers were issued after a few years. Rifles were picked up from the battlefield, broken parts were replaced and then the weapons were sent back to the front lines. Post-war the arsenals tore down the rifles and threw the receivers in one bucket, barrels in another etc., and after cleaning/refurbishing reassembled them in complete random order. The rifle my dad bought back in the 1960s has a 1943 Winchester receiver but the barrel is a '45 Springfield and the bulk of the small parts are SA as well. He hated having a mixmaster but I reminded him that's what most of them are.

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

It's one rifle I've never owned. :( I've got a bunch of clips and meet all the CMP requirements, so maybe it's time. Those of you that have CMP rifles, what grade did you get and is there anything specific to look for or avoid? I'm not looking for a numbers matching collector grade, but a decent looking rifle that would be expected to shoot well.

Mine is a Service Grade Harrington & Richardson. Made in ‘57. Chamber and bore are very good. It shoots better than I am really capable of. No rust or pitting anywhere. The HRAs, being the latest rifles before the M14 was adopted, are generally considered among the best Garands made. The stock has the Ordnance Corps stamp has the standard dings and scratches any service rifle would but it is a nice tight fit to the receiver. I have not refinished it.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Well, it IS a term dreamed up by the government, after all.

In short the weapon (in this case a Garand) is a weapon prohibited to the general public for general use.

The PWL is a means of proving to the Police that you need that particular weapon for a special purpose beyond general use.

Some examples are Proffesional Pest Control contractor, Film and TV, a Collector (this is what many use to get around some PWL issues). 

1 hour ago, Major Crimes said:

In short the weapon (in this case a Garand) is a weapon prohibited to the general public for general use.

The PWL is a means of proving to the Police that you need that particular weapon for a special purpose beyond general use.

Some examples are Proffesional Pest Control contractor, Film and TV, a Collector (this is what many use to get around some PWL issues). 

That's hilarious! Maybe I should use my Garand to control our squirrel population. We're overrun with them. I'm sure the neighbors won't mind!  :lol: 

I wonder if these weapons qualify in Australia?

5 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

So it should be a PWUYHAGRL (prohibited weapon unless you have a good reason license). ;)

What's the pouch next to the 45 mag pouch in the back?

The smaller one, next to the holster, is for a field dressing. But that one kinda looks like a shotshell pouch. :huh:

The ones on the rifle butt - grenades?

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

What's the pouch next to the 45 mag pouch in the back?

The smaller one, next to the holster, is for a field dressing. But that one kinda looks like a shotshell pouch. :huh:

The ones on the rifle butt - grenades?

Buttstock pouch is a modern made one with velcro closures. They only made a stock pouch for carbine mags in wwII. https://olongapooutfitters.com/equipment-and-gear/grand-stock-pouch/

Other pouch is for shotshells. But it will hold other stuff.

7E900BC6-D946-4841-97C4-1E4527EF877E.jpeg

Link to CMP eligibility page: https://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

Besides CMP club membership proof of citizenship is required plus marksmanship activity.  Marksmanship activity can be DD214, CCL, results bulletin from a competition, certificate of completion or letter from instructor of firearms training that included live fire exercise & other documents that show firearms proficiency.

Everything's in an envelope ready to go. I'll plow my way out of here tomorrow and get it in the mail. :) Service grade Springfield or H&R, their choice apparently.

11 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Everything's in an envelope ready to go. I'll plow my way out of here tomorrow and get it in the mail. :) Service grade Springfield or H&R, their choice apparently.

Literally put a sticky note on your order form politely asking for the what you would prefer, its not guaranteed but it works for some people.

Archived