SASS Wire Forum

Discussion at the post office...

Dantankerous

While in line at the local post office yesterday I watched a conversation between a patron and two post office clerks. Post office clerk 1 was a young lady, possibly late twenties. Post Office clerk number 2 is a man in his mid sixties.

This discussion simultaneously irked me greatly and entertained me just enough to help me get over my rising blood pressure while witnessing the exchange.

A 60 some year old male customer is trying to send a small package but apparently does not have the address either correct or complete...

She: "This mailing address is incomplete."

Customer: "That's what they told me." (Already sounding pompous, annoyed.)

She: "Where exactly are you wanting to send this?"

Customer: "To the address on the label." He says snarkily.

She: "Is this going out of the country? I don't think this is a US address. This looks like an address in another country. Is that what you want?"

Customer: "What does the label say? It says Hanoi or something." (Voice raising).

She: "Well, I think Hanoi is in Vietnam or somewhere like that. Are you wanting to send this to Vietnam?"

Customer: " I don't know anything about that. It's Hanoi. Just send the package to the address in Hanoi. Can you do that or not?"

She, checking her computer: "Well, Sir,  If you want to send it to Hanoi, Vietnam which is where my computer is showing this needs to go, then yes, we can send it there but you have to address this correctly."

Customer:  "I did address it correctly. I don't know anything about Vietnam, just send the package," says the customer even more abrasively. The rest of us in line are listening to this conversation by now and several of us are wanting to intercede but as yet have not. This guy is really starting to get on everyone's nerves as his voice continues to rise and condecend to the young lady working the counter. Even his body posture is becoming annoying as he is leaning forward toward the young lady as if he is trying to intimidate her over the counter.

The other postal clerk, an older fella whom I guessed to be in his mid sixties, has also been paying attention to this conversation while he's helping another customer. I can tell he's getting somewhat perturbed as well.

Becoming somewhat exasperated with her attempts to help and guide her customer in the right direction she turns to her male counterpart and asks him "He is wanting to send this package to Hanoi. Isn't Hanoi in Vietnam?"

Customer rudely interjects: "Hanoi. Can't you just send this package? I don't care where it goes, Vietnam or not! I have no idea if Hanoi is in Vietnam or where it is! DO YOU?" (Again, as assmouthfully as possible).

Male clerk. "Yes I do. Hanoi is the capital of Vietnam and has been so for about a 1000 years. If you want your package to go to Hanoi you must correctly address it as Hanoi, Vietnam. It is your responsibility sir, to know where you are mailing something, not ours. We are not magic nor can we read your mind but I do know Hanoi is in Vietnam." He says this very calmly,  as if talking to stupid people is simply an afterthought with him anymore.

Customer: "Uh huh. Are you sure?" 

The customer asks this with no less the amount of sneer given to any of his other retorts, as if to diminish the possibility that anyone on the planet might know where Hanoi really is.

Male clerk: "I am positive." And turns away.

At this point I can tell the woman in line in front of me is about ready to throat punch this customer. That would have been just as entertaining as the brief lecture just handed out by the mail postal worker.

The customer finishes his mailing address correctly and proceeds with his business. He finally shuts his mouth, finishes the address pays and leaves. The rest of us proceed with our business but we were all shaking our heads. I think everybody in that room knew Hanoi is in Vietnam except for that particular customer. At least that's how I read the expressions on other people's faces.

How does someone not know where they are sending something? How does a person that age not know Hanoi is in Vietnam? Did he miss the entire Vietnam war? Does he not pay attention to the world around him?  I am pretty sure I knew Hanoi was in Vietnam in about 7th grade. Ever study history? Ever study geography? Ever watch the news? Ever pull your head out? Fine, maybe he simply did not know but is his modus operandi in life to always be condescening and arrogant to people who either do know something more than he does or try to help him? It must suck living with this guy. I felt bad for any wife might have. 

Moral of the story? The customer ain't always right. :o

Anyway... gotta love standing in line. You never know what you're gonna see. :D

862843376_Dementiavisualized.thumb.jpg.dd77bf2d09a8b4c0c38772777f844f6f.jpg

As a Professional Guardian, my initial observation from the details Dantankerous has provided, would be possible early onset of dementia.

They are the symptoms reflected in the majority of these cases.

For  a definitive assessment, a licensed practitioner would need to be consulted.

2086308419_dementiasymptoms.JPG.506cc6117eee1c16860fdf23bbcb0bdc.JPG

It has been shown that men tend to have an earlier age of onset, usually around 60 years old.

I am pretty sure I knew Hanoi was in Vietnam in about 7th grade.

I didn't.

But later on, I did. :blink:;)

Interesting. 

I was thinking that , yes, Hanoi was in Vietnam, but maybe it's also somewhere else.

Loretta Lynn, Chevrolet Set --- Rome Georgia, Athens Texas, and Paris Tennessee.

Aside from Rome in Georgia there's also Athens and Cairo.

Why couldn't there be HANOI MISSOURI (for example)?

So I google TOWNS NAMED HANOI.

Apparently the one in Vietnam is the only Hanoi in the world.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Interesting. 

I was thinking that , yes, Hanoi was in Vietnam, but maybe it's also somewhere else.

Loretta Lynn, Chevrolet Set --- Rome Georgia, Athens Texas, and Paris Tennessee.

Aside from Rome in Georgia there's also Athens and Cairo.

Why couldn't there be HANOI MISSOURI (for example)?

So I google TOWNS NAMED HANOI.

Apparently the one in Vietnam is the only Hanoi in the world.

Pretty sure if there was a Hanoi Georgia, they would have changed it years ago.

'Course there's still a Berlin, NHand a Moscow, TX, so maybe not. ;)

4 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Pretty sure if there was a Hanoi Georgia, they would have changed it years ago.

'Course there's still a Berlin, NHand a Moscow, TX, so maybe not. ;)

Berlin, NH changed the pronunciation ages ago. It’s BERlin not BerLIN. There was a. POW camp nearby though.

2 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Berlin, NH changed the pronunciation ages ago. It’s BERlin not BerLIN. There was a. POW camp nearby though.

There are several Berlins in Ohio. Don't know how they pronounce em though.

Just now, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Wasn't there a Hilton Hotel in Hanoi?  :blush:  Maybe the customer was sending a request for a reservation.

There's a real Hilton there now.

https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotel-locations/vn/index.html

If there was a Moscow in Colorado I expect it wold be pronounced Moose Cow.

Versailles, MO is pronounced “vur- sales’ “;  Cairo, Illinois is “kay-row” and is close to New Madrid, MO, pronounced “new mad- rid”...

Maybe that customer was "vacationing" in Canada back in the '60's and 70's.  I had a high school classmate who had a "residence" in the old Hanoi Hilton...for about 7 years! :angry:  Saw him get off the Freedom Bird on T.V.  :)  Wonder what Ol' Doofus (customer) was mailing to Hanoi, Viet Nam? :ph34r:  (Sigh!)

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Versailles, MO is pronounced “vur- sales’ “;  Cairo, Illinois is “kay-row” and is close to New Madrid, MO, pronounced “new mad- rid”...

Buena Vista in CO is pronuounce Byoona Vista.

That's okay. I went to school with a kid named Beechum. Saw his name one time. Beauchamp.

Another kid, first name Hosea (José). But later my eye doctor was Dr. Hosea  (Hosey).

And then we have El Dorado (el dor-AY-do) in Kansas, along with the Arkansas (ar-KANSAS) River.

And don't get Albany  (ALL-bun-nee) New York confused with Albany (ALL-benny) Georgia.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

And there's Nevada, MO (ne-VAY-duh) and Arkansas City, KS (ar-KAN-sas, or just Ark City)...

5 minutes ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

And you WILL be corrected by a local if you pronounce it Bweyna Vista.

Dang right. :lol: 

I don't know if that guy wanted the package to go to Vietnam but if I were behind that counter that is where the package would have ended up.

We have 3 places called "Crooked Creek" here in Alberta so you Need the Postal Code to get it to the Right Place ....

Jabez Cowboy

37 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

We have 3 places called "Crooked Creek" here in Alberta so you Need the Postal Code to get it to the Right Place ....

Jabez Cowboy

But how many S. Creeks can you find on a map?

Archived