SASS Wire Forum

Something cool in the mail today

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Pr

2 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

It was MAILED to you?  :blink:  How did you manage that?

C&R maybe

2 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Just cuz it's a nice shiny gold Colt. It's too perty!

Nah...    The purpose of a gun is to be fired.   To not fire it would be illogical.

For example, when the day comes that I am given some super fantastic presentation Colt with all kinds of custom incredibleness because I'm being recognized for some unknown at the present time reason, I will graciously accept it and say, "I can't wait to get this thing to the range!"   I expect there to be gaps of astonishment.

Congrats Uriah..... and good on ya for wanting to shoot it also.    I would.

We harbor/collect all these nice guns and have a Taboo about shooting them.   Then we die and our kin folk take it to a Pawn Shop to get rid of it.

I take care of my guns..... but I shoot them with no hesitations.   I don't 'worship' them.

I say..... "Fire away Uriah and enjoy the heck out of it".

..........Widder

WoW! That is cool. Dang rite shoot it. I don't have a gun that I haven't shot.

He said a piece of flare... hahaha.

Weeeeeeell, Peter. You heard about those TPS reports, right? Yeah, we're using a cover letter now.

I'll forward you the email.

Haha, so dumb, but so funny.

I hope I never own a gun that I can't shoot.  Hasn't happened in 54 years--don't really see it changing!  When I shot qualification for my CCW, I did so with a WWII Remington Rand 1911 and a .38 S & W that was liberated from a Panamanian armory during Operation Just Cause.

Interesting question as to if the pistol would be something that would "count" towards the requirements for B Western.   It certainly is flashy!

If there is anything I don't "like" about it, it's the pearl grips.   No, not because of Patton's (in)famous statement, but something much simpler.   I really don't like the look of pear grips.   I'd love to replace them with ivory, but that's just so damn expensive now.   I DO have a pair of "Ivory Laminate" Jay Scott grips that I have placed on one of my other Colts that I could swap over, I suppose.  But, these pearl thing are original, and the original grips that came with the ones that have the ivories are just plain hard black rubber Colt grips, so they are not as "distinctive" looking.

The "Ivory Laminate" grips, (That's what the packaging calls them) are made of wood, with a thin layer of ivory laminate over them.  They are really nice looking.  I have no idea if the laminate is real ivory or imitation.   The packaging just says "Ivory Laminate" so I don't know what that means.  I guess I'll have to do some experimenting.  :)

i would shoot that if i owned it - ya only go round once in life and for some of us we are seeing the end better than the beginning these days , not that i intend to go any time soon but im not going to leave the guns i leave behind unused it i can help it , those left can enjoy what i leave , 

Being from Iowa and living in Des Moines and shooting with the Fort Des Moines Rangers. Do you know the significance of the writing on the top of the box? I'm asking because I don't know and would enjoy being educated. Thanks!

if you are in that area you need to drive out and check out the site , there is a great museum in the latter one that i spent half a rainy day in with friends and felt i missed things , ft des moines was a frontier fort in the day gateway to the farther west , there were actually three , a really early one that lasted a few years it was on the mississippi , and then the "newer" that became des moines in the center of the state , this one is still active officer training center if i remember correctly , 

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:36 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Got this really nice box in the mail today.

2084847090_DesMoinesBox.thumb.JPG.df26b2cda7bed1b63a53592f71f2cb61.JPG

Interesting.   Not bad looking.

Then I opened it...

560336550_DesMoinesRevolver.thumb.JPG.214a16d46ba7298b96aeb00046a20c2b.JPG

Now THAT is amazing!    I am a man with a golden gun!

.45 Colt.

Can't wait to use it at a match.   :)

I saw a very similar pistol at a couple gun shows in our area.  The price was remarkably only $1500.

Archived