SASS Wire Forum

Eh???

Boomstick Bruce

I think I'll stick with ".45 Colt" loads, as Colt's Patent Firearms named them and SAAMI industry group accepted.

:lol:

GJ

23 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I think I'll stick with ".45 Colt" loads, as Colt's Patent Firearms named them and SAAMI industry group accepted.

:lol:

Agreed! No such thing as a long colt! It is a 45 schofield, unlike the 38 long or short colt. Hate when they call it long colt!

Rafe

Don't they look like 45 ACP?

From the adverts:

"Liberty Ammunition’s Civil Defense line features a nickel-plated, CNC machined solid copper projectiles and nickel-plated brass cases, making them perfect for training, target shooting, defense or hunting especially in areas that are embracing non-lead ammunition because of the environmental dangers of lead. The nickel plating reduces barrel fouling and nickel plated cases feed better in the firearm. Nickel plating has also been credited with increasing the life cycle of the weapon system."

Guess I had better switch to nickel plated cases!:P

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

From the adverts:

"Liberty Ammunition’s Civil Defense line features a nickel-plated, CNC machined solid copper projectiles and nickel-plated brass cases, making them perfect for training, target shooting, defense or hunting especially in areas that are embracing non-lead ammunition because of the environmental dangers of lead. The nickel plating reduces barrel fouling and nickel plated cases feed better in the firearm. Nickel plating has also been credited with increasing the life cycle of the weapon system."

Guess I had better switch to nickel plated cases!:P

Most high end personal defense rounds utilize nickel plated cases.

1 hour ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

According to their web site: https://libertyammo.com/product/civil-defense-45-long-colt/

they are a "Copper, Monolithic, Hollow-Point Fragmenting, Personal Defense Round" :blink:

In my best overly exaggerated West Virginia accent:

"A wuuutt? Is that from Star track?"

11 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Don't they look like 45 ACP?

That's exactly what I thought!!

9 hours ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

Oh, if you wait long enough those will be discounted on the clearance table.

They've been on the Market for a few years. They sell and work well.

I don’t doubt it one bit, it’s just that I don’t find a lot of references to .45 Colt as a concealed-carry or self-defense caliber in my other firearm reading. And because I shop the clearance table at my LGS that’s just the kind of thing I’d probably buy for fun — at a deep discount.

12 hours ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Agreed! No such thing as a long colt! It is a 45 schofield, unlike the 38 long or short colt. Hate when they call it long colt!

Rafe

Well, it seems there really was a "Short Colt" and some attest to cartidge boxes having Long printed on the box.  Venturino's article on this is pretty good.

For references on the .45 Short Colt.

1/ Sixguns by Keith, page 285. 

2/ Shooting Times, November 1997, Mike Venturino's "The Shootist" column, page 14, subtitled 'According to Mike, those who have referred to it as the .45 "Long" Colt were correct; there really was a .45 "Short" Colt!'.

3/ Cartridges of the World, 9th Edition, page 306.

13 minutes ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

I don’t doubt it one bit, it’s just that I don’t find a lot of references to .45 Colt as a concealed-carry or self-defense caliber in my other firearm reading. 

Taurus' "Judge" series of firearms gave the 45C new life as a "defense" round.

Aaaaand my specific reference in my specific post referenced reading about .45 Colt as a common self-defense round. That’s all. “A lot” is too small a data set to establish market share for .45 Colt as a common self-defense round or The Judge as a commonly accepted self- defense gun. That’s all. And I sold a Taurus Judge once because it sucked. I do not draw any conclusions from that experience about all Taurus Judges. It’s too small a data set. These are just my personal observations, subject to friendly debate and worth what you paid for them.

All Right Boomstick!

What is with the "Eh!" 

That's a Canadian Thing!

Stop the language appropriation, eh!!!

LaughingSmiley.gif

:FlagAm:

33 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

All Right Boomstick!

What is with the "Eh!" 

That's a Canadian Thing!

Stop the language appropriation, eh!!!

LaughingSmiley.gif

I thought that the Canadan thing was "A" not "EH":FlagAm::lol:

Not to throw coal oil on the fire, but I think I'd be a bit cautious about using anything but some "standard" factory loads for self defense, especially handloads.  Masad Ayoob has written quite a bit about the problems that folks who have legitimately used handloads or too off-the-wall limited production ammo to defend life and property.  Does Federal Hydra-Shok come in .45 (Long/Short/or in between) Colt? Some other loads can get you in real trouble before a liberal jury!  OK, flame away! :blink:

6 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

:FlagAm:

I thought that the Canadan thing was "A" not "EH":FlagAm::lol:

A?  is the French Canadian version of the English EH?

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Not to throw coal oil on the fire, but I think I'd be a bit cautious about using anything but some "standard" factory loads for self defense, especially handloads.  Masad Ayoob has written quite a bit about the problems that folks who have legitimately used handloads or too off-the-wall limited production ammo to defend life and property.  Does Federal Hydra-Shok come in .45 (Long/Short/or in between) Colt? Some other loads can get you in real trouble before a liberal jury!  OK, flame away! :blink:

This is not some "off-the-wall" not limited ammo...

Some of you folks scare me...

Phantom

I occasionally  carry a Taurus 450 for personal protection.  It is chambered for .45 Colt! Normally, I have Hornady Critical Defense or Critical Duty in the wheel and a pair of speed loaders with the same close at hand.  My normal carry weapon is a Pra Ordnance 13/45 with similar ammunition.  

I've tried the loads shown in the OP.  They do what the manufacturer claims.  I would not be ill at ease carrying this type of ammo, EXCEPT for the impression it might offer to a "jury of my peers"!

Does ANY law enforcement agency (FBI, DEA, ATF, etc.....) keep any records of the type

ammo folks used to protect themselves, especially in terms of hand loaded vs store bought?

Anyhow,  when it comes to self protection and the dire need to use deadly force, You'll find

ole Widder using some good stuff, regardless of what Masad Ayoob says or thinks.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I occasionally  carry a Taurus 450 for personal protection.  It is chambered for .45 Colt! Normally, I have Hornady Critical Defense or Critical Duty in the wheel and a pair of speed loaders with the same close at hand.  My normal carry weapon is a Pra Ordnance 13/45 with similar ammunition.  

I've tried the loads shown in the OP.  They do what the manufacturer claims.  I would not be ill at ease carrying this type of ammo, EXCEPT for the impression it might offer to a "jury of my peers"!

A very good friend has a friend that is an "expert" witness on these issues.

Ammo is not an issue.

Phantom

ive shot some of this - it is different , not in a bad way particularly , as it is commercial i think it would be accepted as such in court , its not your own special design , that is what may trip you up , but majority of us will never experience the issue and i bet the rest are praying they never do , 

Archived