SASS Wire Forum

Advice - shotshell loading

Tequila Shooter

I use a SxS coach 12gauge and I'm going to start loading my own shotshells.   I'm looking to load very light loads due to a shoulder problem, does anyone know of a site that has load data for this?  Or maybe a book?  This has been the only thing I've been able to find

reducedrecoilshotshellloads.pdf

Thanks -TC

P.S. I forgot to say (if it's important) that I'll be using a MEC Sizemaster.

Most published shot shell load data is pretty warm by SASS standards.  I load 50gr of 2fg or 3fg Goex (whichever I have on hand) with a 1oz load, recoil is pretty mild but I know a lot of guys go even lighter on both the powder and shot.  For smokeless I'd suggest whatever the starting load of Clays is for whatever hull you are using combined with a 3/4oz load.

Remington STS hulls and Claybuster CB0175-12 wad.  Use the load data from the Claybuster site. 1150 fps with 3/4 oz payload has less  felt recoil than AA LNLR.

Only thing with less felt recoil is CB0178-12 wad, just under 13/16 oz of shot over 34 grains by weight of 3F APP.

3 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

I use a SxS coach 12gauge and I'm going to start loading my own shotshells.   I'm looking to load very light loads due to a shoulder problem, does anyone know of a site that has load data for this?  Or maybe a book?  This has been the only thing I've been able to find

reducedrecoilshotshellloads.pdf

Thanks -TC

P.S. I forgot to say (if it's important) that I'll be using a MEC Sizemaster.

Win AA or Rem STS hulls

Rem primers

Claybuster gray wads (CB0178-12)

7/8 oz # 7 1/2 or 8 shot

14.5 gr Clays powder (#26 bushing)

Win AA hulls

Claybuster gray wad

Cheddite 209 primer

13.4 grains of ClayDot

[Mec #23 bushing]

Mild recoil with enough punch to handle knockdowns

3/4 oz. 7.5 or 8 shot

2 hours ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Win AA hulls

Claybuster gray wad

Cheddite 209 primer

13.4 grains of ClayDot

[Mec #23 bushing]

Mild recoil with enough punch to handle knockdowns 

Does it matter what size shot?  I thought the Cheddite primer was only used on Cheddite hulls, not questioning just asking.

35 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Another approach.   Don't put the shotgun to your shoulder.  Hold it out aways or kind of tuck it under your armpit. Your arms will absorb the recoil. 

I tried (in practice) to shoot from the hip, it would take me 2 shots to hit 1 target.  

8 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

I tried (in practice) to shoot from the hip, it would take me 2 shots to hit 1 target.  

I'm not saying shoot from the hip.  Hold it out aways and sight down it as you normally would or hold it lower and sight over it.  

5 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

Does it matter what size shot?  I thought the Cheddite primer was only used on Cheddite hulls, not questioning just asking.

Page 7 of the Shooters Handbook:  "SHOTGUN AMMUNITION - Shotgun size must be number 4 birdshot or smaller for all events (no steel or plated shot).

Because you may engage flyers I recommend #7 1/2 shot or smaller as ranges usually don't allow larger shot used on clays.  I think the smaller shot the better considering the poor repair of some shotgun targets I encounter.  When a pellet flies back off a pitted target and hits my face I prefer the smaller size pellets.

Cheddite primers may be used as specified in loading recipes.  My light load is 7/8 oz shot in a Remington hull with Extra-Lite powder and a Cheddite 209 primer.  (Details on the Alliant reloading site)

Clays Superlite shotshell:
Worked this out with a Hodgdon's tech on the phone.
AA or Remington Hull
Win 209 Primer
13.9 grains Clays (MEC #25)
grey wad
7/8 ounce shot
Lighter than a featherlite shell
Knocks 'em down every time
--Dawg

AA hulls

Win 209 primer

Claybuster CB0178-12 wad

7/8 oz shot

start with 9 to 10 gr Promo or Red Dot

20" Baikal

Load for my 11 y.o. Buckerette She had no trouble with KDs -- where we shoot in E. Texas.

Cold temps reduce performance.

Yet another option. 

Check with the match director and see if you can shoot a third handgun as a substitute for the shotgun.   Stage it where you would stage the shotgun.  Load as many rounds as there are shotgun targets up to 5.  If there are more than 5, load on the clock. 

4 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I use the Cheddite primers in Win and Rem hulls, no probs. 13 gr of Clean Shot with 1 1/8 load of #7.5.

Lighter than LNLR. Daughter uses them with a steel butt plate SxS.

What wad do you use with this load?

Tequila,

I use 7.5 or 8 size shot in my load.Not much difference in the size of shot, but changing wads or hulls will affect things more.Cheddite primers work fine in Win gray or red hulls,I caught them on sale at the LGS.

As OLG says don't  trust a stated weight for any size bushing , weigh the charge to verify.

Choctaw

30 minutes ago, Caboose said:

What wad do you use with this load?

Sorry, I'll have to look. Don't remember. I think Winchester.

For some reason the Claybuster wads don't work for me. I get a raised ring on the outside of the shell, just above the powder.

I had rotator cuff surgery a few years ago and this is the load I prefer.  In any case I would recommend a good recoil pad on the shotgun.

For both AA and STS hulls

Claybuster TGT 12 replacement wads (CB 8100-12)

1 oz of 7 1/2 or 8 shot

14.3 gr 700X

Win 209 primers

This load chronographs 1094 fps on an Oehller 35 

Factor Win AALite shells ( 1 oz shot)  chronograph 1162 fps

Another load using all of the above and 14.9 grs Clays chronos at 1028

Both of these loads will take down any knockdowns I have encountered in SASS matches.

3 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Sorry, I'll have to look. Don't remember. I think Winchester.

For some reason the Claybuster wads don't work for me. I get a raised ring on the outside of the shell, just above the powder.

Perhaps you were using a wad made for non-tapered hulls instead of one's made for tapered Winchester and Remington hulls. Claybuster CB8100 wads for 7/8 to 1 1/8oz are made for tapered hulls. 

Archived