SASS Wire Forum

How many of us actually had Cowboy guns before we got into CAS?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started out with a Stoeger double, Uberti 1873 & a pair of Smokewagon deluxe’s in 44-40. Fell into a pair of Evil Roy Cimmeron 357’s right after I started. Shot the 44-40’s for a while then transitioned to 357 when I ran into a deal on a Uberti 357 1873 rifle. I would suggest the “try before you buy” philosophy, but for me, it was an excuse to buy guns! Also, I have setups that newshooters can try out as I bought rifle & pistols in 38-40 too. Just got a Johnny Meadows SKB recently as well! Geez what a sickness! Lol

I was into cowboy guns long before CAS.  I wanted to try CAS for a couple of years

before I was able to shoot my first match due to clubs close enough. In fact I went just over 400 miles to shoot my first one, that was in 1991.

In that match I used a uberti 1860 Henry in 44-40, a pair of 3rd generation Colt SAAs in 44-40 and a Rossi coach gun. All of which I had owned for several years at the time.  Other cowboy gun i owned at the time were:

4 3rd  gen. Colt SAAs in 45 Colt

2nd gen. COLT SAA in 44-40(started life as a .357 but was sent to Colt and coverted)

4 Uberti SAAs in 44-40

Uberti 1866 in 44-40

2 Marlin 1893s

2 Winchester 1892s

C. Sharps 1875 in 40-65

Shiloh Sharps  1874 in 45-70

Shiloh Sharps  1874 in 45-10

2 Springfield  1884 Trapdoors

Ballard #2 in 40-65

Ballard #5 in 45-70

Remington Rolling blocks in 45-70,40-65, 43 Spanish, and 44-100 Remington 

1885 Winchester Highwalls in 40-60 Maynard 40-82 Win. and 45-70

I have traded or sold my in the above list but have added many more to the total .

When I was a youngster back in the early 70's like all kids we played with toy guns.  I remember that among my friends, if you had an M16 style gun you were really cool and everyone wanted one, after all it was during the Vietnam war era.  But not me.  I had this plastic model 92 and I loved it.  I cannot tell you now why it was my favorite but it was the only toy gun I would use.  It just felt right.  I would give anything to have it today.  In later years I would dress up like a cowboy every year for Halloween parties.  When I finally joined SASS I already had the clothes.

On 4/29/2019 at 4:59 AM, Savvy Jack said:

Thats cool bgavin....thanks!!! That was in Thomasville, Ga 1972

Get a good digital scan, high-resolution, before it completely fades away.
B&W prints will stand the test of time... color will not.
Kodachrome slides will also last... Ekatchrome will not.

Before SASS about the closest thing I had to “Cowboy” was a Marlin 336, 30-30. 

I was on a WW2 kick at the time and had a couple M1 Carbines, a Garand and a 1911A1. I went to a Sporting Clays shoot and spotted the Coto Cowboys having a match and went over for a visit.

I was hooked. :D 

Joined SASS when visiting EOT that same summer in ‘97.

When I was a younger man, I became well schooled in G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome).

I spent many years, and many dollars being full of GAS.
My wonderful bride started ribbing me about becoming a hoarder.

As a musician, I had a herd of electric basses that were never getting played.
I cut these all back where I only have one fretted, and one fretless.

As a pro photographer, I have a hoard of pricey equipment that is entirely retired in my safe.
It is hard to part with premium gear, but it is indeed never getting used... and I am getting on in years.

As a loudspeaker designer and builder, I have enough Eminence drivers in my garage for the next 200 years of cabinet projects.
And, there is my (last) Harley, but only one of them at a time...

My firearms are entirely 22LR and .357, all Rugers.
When we got interested in CAS, I figured I had to learn the mistakes of GAS, and acquire only what was going to be used.
I had an old-style Vaquero, GP100 and SP101 all in .357, so I stuck with 357 when I picked up a new set of Ruger SASS Vaqueros for CAS.
The new 1894CB is also .357 for the same reason.

I still need a Stoeger 12-gauge.

I'm still scratching my head on where this will all go after I go.

Archived