SASS Wire Forum

.45 Cowboy Special on Lee single stage

Marshal Hangtree

I have come to an agreement with AJ. 

I will have the mold and rights soon and I will begin producing the “Barnstormer”.

Any advanced  request will be honored in the order received. 

Price is still to be determined, but comparable to other 45 caliber bullets.

Please use PM so as not to clog up the wire.

Thanks in advance.

Shootin Fox

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be the original design as shown in slowhand’s previous post. 125/130 grain .452 bullet with magma lube. It is a hollow base flat nose bullet meant to load in the 45CS brass. I am estimated $45 for 500 as a start point. I have to talk to SASS to become an affiliated merchant to sell on the wire. In the works. 

More news soon.

Another question about the dies for .45 CS.  I've received my .45ACP/AR dies (Redding) but I don't have my .45LC sizing die yet.  I bought 250 casings of .45CS brass from Starline that will be here tomorrow.  Since this is new, unfired brass, will I need to "size" this batch?  Or should they come from Starline ready to load?

Thanks y'all.

59 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Another question about the dies for .45 CS.  I've received my .45ACP/AR dies (Redding) but I don't have my .45LC sizing die yet.  I bought 250 casings of .45CS brass from Starline that will be here tomorrow.  Since this is new, unfired brass, will I need to "size" this batch?  Or should they come from Starline ready to load?

Thanks y'all.

Make do with the ACP Dies if you're dying to shoot. I loaded ACP all the way for a while. A little more working of the case, but not the end of the world. 

Let me begin with ...... "there are those who say" ....... just load it.  NOT a grand idea.

ALL New brass should be resized before loading.  Starline sayz ...... ALL new brass should be resized before loading.  Absolutely run your new brass through the sizing die.  I agree with Carolina ..... to a point.  If your just absolutely chomping on the bit, go ahead and use your ACP resize die.  I just don't recommend it as a regular process.  I have mentioned before, ACP dies will result in a slight taper to the case and promote Blow-By.  Switch over to your 45 Colt resize die as soon as you get it.

Marshal,

First check that your NEW brass will fit your chambers "as is."  So long as your brass fits the chambers, adjust your resize die so it only resizes the top 1/3 of the case.  Then lightly bell the case mouth so you get good "Bullet pull." 

19 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Can you explain that, Yusta B.?

Set your resizing die to resize the case only as far down as the bullet seats. You will have to get a separate universal die or tool to de-prime. For new brass, just remove the de-prime pin.

Hey there Bourbon Doc  :lol:

How the heck are ya??  Hope you're wintering well.  Obviously you're wintering weller than we be up here in the FROZEN north!!!  Been some cold.

In answer to your question ..... it depends.  If you happen to have a pile of 44-40 brass just taking up space and unemployed, the quicker/easier/simpler method is to just resize 44-40 brass to be 45 Colt.  Very simple process.  Simply run your 45 Colt expander/Powder Drop/Bell die carefully through that die.  Then load as normal.  The cases will come out real funny lookin the first time through.  Firing those cases will blow them out to look just like 45 Colt.  They will have a very thin/soft case mouth and those cases will expand to seal a 45 Colt chamber.  Works a treat.

If, on the other hand, your a mite short of 44-40 cases, anneal your 45 Colt cases.  Once annealed, 45 Colt cases will also expand to seal the 45 Colt chamber quite nicely.  You may run into a few annealed cases that are a tiny bit sticky after they expand.  I don't find it to be a problem.

I ever mention I really really hate "Auto Correct"

howdy coffinmaker and thanks for the info,  and as i   am at times focused on easy ... i will proceed with 44-40 brass as my  BP go to  brass case, and after resizing and  shooting it will be  fire form fitted, so to speak .. 

thanks again ...  BD 

Question?  I have both Lee 4 die sets in 45 Colt and 45 acp. I have been loading 45 cowboy special using all 4 45 acp dies with the 45 Colt shell holder. Should I use the 45 colt deprime resize die first then continue with the 3 remaining 45 acp dies or just continue using all 4 45 acp dies. Shooting them in 45 OMV Rugers with no problems currently. 

Hey Trooper Ozzy,

Two things.  I have mentioned you will get a slight taper on your brass with an ACP resize die which will result in some blow-by.  That Blow-By is more of an issue if you're shooting C45S brass in a Rifle.  If the amount of blow-by in your handguns is not bothering you .... it's your call.  However, the 45 Colt sizing die is the correct way to go.

Your Ruger OMV.  From an old retired Gunplumber's perspective .... have you had you cylinder throats checked??  Ruger is famous for undersize throats.  As in .446 to .448 when they should be .4525??  With correct throats you will get better accuracy and less felt recoil than with undersize throats.  A thought. 

Well, so far the Redding .45ACP/AR dies work well for the expanding (bell) and bullet seating, but the taper crimp is a no go.  I can't adjust it to properly crimp.  No matter how I adjust it, the bullet will still spin in the casing.  I'm pulling my hair out over this.  I think I just need to give in and find a .45 ACP/Auto Rim roll crimp die.  Thoughts?

Just bite the bullet, give in, surrender, walk away, leap into the lake ..... etc.  It's simple.  Call MidSouth and whistle up a Redding 45 Auto Rim Profile Crimp Die.  You're only gonna buy it once.  It'll last longer than you do.  Just trying to "make do" is such a waste of time.

Just ordered the die you mentioned, CC.  Should have done so from the start.

When I get everything dialed in, I'll publish the exact die numbers and their respective settings to cut down on some of the trial and error for anyone else who wants to give these cartridges a try.

Thanks.

On 2/17/2019 at 8:08 AM, Marshal Hangtree said:

the taper crimp is a no go.  I can't adjust it to properly crimp.  No matter how I adjust it, the bullet will still spin in the casing.  

When using a taper crimp die, over crimping can result in this issue.  Taper crimps are supposed to have between .001-.002 crimp measured at the mouth of the case.  If you crimp more than this, you can squeeze the bullet with the case and actually resize it.  The brass will actually relax slightly and the bullet will spin in the case.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:08 AM, Marshal Hangtree said:

Well, so far the Redding .45ACP/AR dies work well for the expanding (bell) and bullet seating, but the taper crimp is a no go.  I can't adjust it to properly crimp.  No matter how I adjust it, the bullet will still spin in the casing.  I'm pulling my hair out over this.  I think I just need to give in and find a .45 ACP/Auto Rim roll crimp die.  Thoughts?

I use a  45 LC Lee factory crimp die, I was going to make a spacer but I found that the floating crimper from a 38-357 Lee Factory crimp die that I had was perfect so  I put the floating crimper from a 38-357 Lee factory die as a spacer on top of the 45LC floating crimper, been doing it for two or more years works great. Just take the spacer out when your done. V.D.

Dropped it in the mail for AJ so to speak yesterday.

Adios  Sgt. Jake

Any thoughts on doing a roll crimp on a Dillon SDB. I read on an old post that just tightening down the 45ACP crimp die would roll, but found with mine it just makes an incredibly long taper crimp. S'pose I could get a 45AR die for my turret press, but that seems like a PIA to have to use 2 machines. Hope I'm not hijacking.:unsure:

On 2/21/2019 at 11:33 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hi Eyesa .....

Bite the bullet and get a Redding 45 Auto Rim Profile Crimp Die.

Thank you CC, I've been hoping to find a way to do it on mySDB and save using 2 machines. The taper works, but I think the roll would be better. Much Obliged.

EH

My problem is the SDB uses special dies and Dillon doesn't have one for 45AR and the 45 colt is way short for the c45s.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My problem is the SDB uses special dies and Dillon doesn't have one for 45AR and the 45 colt is way short for the c45s.

I believe that the Dillons can be screwed down to cause a roll. Search this. I am pretty sure it was discussed before. 

Archived