SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Burgess rifle worth buying or hard no

Diamond Dean Freighter

Howdy folks, I've been looking to upgrade my wife's rifle from a Rossi 92 to something possibly in 44-40. Currently she's generally shooting in the ladies frontier cartridge category. Her current rifle is in .38/357 which has been pretty good overall as far a fouling goes. But boy do I hate cleaning that rifle. So I had planned on either a 66, or a 73 in .38/357 or 44-40. However the Burgess rifle has a unique appeal and I've located one in 44-40 for a pretty reasonable price. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on these anywhere, and I'd like to know I'm not getting into a whole new frustration with regards to the cleaning of these rifles. Any first hand knowledge of these rifles would be great. Thanks in advance.

D.D. Freighter

If you are planning on going fast it's a very hard NO.

If you want a cool rifle that's different and don't mind stovepipes and/or ejecting live rounds they are awesome. 

I have one in 44-40 and I really like it(Not for sale). Being 44-40 it's not that big of a deal to keep clean. 

If you want something that goes fast, get her a Marlin or a 1873.

If you do get it call VTI gun parts and get 2-3 extra extractors; don't ask me why I recommend this :(

Different and fun - no problems with my .44-40. I've read Uberti only made one run of these, and judging by how many I've seen, I'm inclined to believe that - I've seen them on Gunbroker, of course, but the only one I've actually laid eyes on is the one I bought.

They work as well as a '92...

32 minutes ago, Diamond Dean Freighter said:

Howdy folks, I've been looking to upgrade my wife's rifle from a Rossi 92 to something possibly in 44-40. Currently she's generally shooting in the ladies frontier cartridge category. Her current rifle is in .38/357 which has been pretty good overall as far a fouling goes. But boy do I hate cleaning that rifle. So I had planned on either a 66, or a 73 in .38/357 or 44-40. However the Burgess rifle has a unique appeal and I've located one in 44-40 for a pretty reasonable price. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on these anywhere, and I'd like to know I'm not getting into a whole new frustration with regards to the cleaning of these rifles. Any first hand knowledge of these rifles would be great. Thanks in advance.

D.D. Freighter

Have you seen the video Nate Kiowa Jones did on cleaning and tuning a 92?  Makes the job very easy.  

A quick and easy cleaning can be acomplished by simply removing the butt stock and flushing out the action.  I shoot BP in mine and simply remove the butt stock after the weekends shooting and flush out the action with hot water and ballistol. I only tear it down completely every 30 to 36 matches. Been doing this for a few years now and I have zero issues with corrosion and the rifle functions flawlessly.

44 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Have you seen the video Nate Kiowa Jones did on cleaning and tuning a 92?  Makes the job very easy.  

A quick and easy cleaning can be acomplished by simply removing the butt stock and flushing out the action.  I shoot BP in mine and simply remove the butt stock after the weekends shooting and flush out the action with hot water and ballistol. I only tear it down completely every 30 to 36 matches. Been doing this for a few years now and I have zero issues with corrosion and the rifle functions flawlessly.

No I have not seen this video, I've been doing a complete clean in the '92 and her pietta navies after each days match. I know I get a little anal with the cleaning. But that look over when one of her guns messes up has me overly cautious. I'll have a look for it thanks.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If you are planning on going fast it's a very hard NO.

If you want a cool rifle that's different and don't mind stovepipes and/or ejecting live rounds they are awesome. 

I have one in 44-40 and I really like it(Not for sale). Being 44-40 it's not that big of a deal to keep clean. 

If you want something that goes fast, get her a Marlin or a 1873.

If you do get it call VTI gun parts and get 2-3 extra extractors; don't ask me why I recommend this :(

Thanks for the information. What I'm hearing so far is it's a great plinker. Looks like I'll hold off on this one. The other option which I've been leaning towards has been a short stroked and tuned '66 in 44-40(a little more money but probably worth it). I shoot a '66 in .45 colt, so I'm very familiar with all of there quirks. Mainly 45 in that particular rifle isn't great with bp.

Just now, Diamond Dean Freighter said:

Thanks for the information. What I'm hearing so far is it's a great plinker. Looks like I'll hold off on this one. The other option which I've been leaning towards has been a short stroked and tuned '66 in 44-40(a little more money but probably worth it). I shoot a '66 in .45 colt, so I'm very familiar with all of there quirks. Mainly 45 in that particular rifle isn't great with bp.

Definitely let her shoot your 1866 for a match then; They are a lot heavier than a 92'.  Don't forget the new Winchester's made by Miroku; they're pretty slick out of the box new and the 1873 is pretty simple to clean. Of course the Marlins are the easiest to clean.

5 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Definitely let her shoot your 1866 for a match then; They are a lot heavier than a 92'.  Don't forget the new Winchester's made by Miroku; they're pretty slick out of the box new and the 1873 is pretty simple to clean. Of course the Marlins are the easiest to clean.

I have had her shooting mine, which is a 24" barrel. She didn't mind the rifle but the weight was an issue. This other '66 would be a half round half octogon and 19" barrel(custom worked over). So it'll be somewhere in between hers and mine. My hope is with the weight further to the rear it won't be as big of an issue. 

The new Marlins are good guns I shot with 2 people that have the new production Marlins in 38/357 and both rifles worked properly the entire match.

34 minutes ago, Diamond Dean Freighter said:

No I have not seen this video, I've been doing a complete clean in the '92 and her pietta navies after each days match. I know I get a little anal with the cleaning. But that look over when one of her guns messes up has me overly cautious. I'll have a look for it thanks.

I know that look and understand completely.  Video is available from Steve's Gunz.

If you're looking for a good gun to shoot with BP, find a '73 in 38-40. Minimal cleanup after a match!

BS

Diamond Dean .......

I'd suggest passing on the Burgess.  Not fast, never be fast, not necessarily real smooth.  Not necessarily real easy to run.  No real improvements.  A well set up '92 will run rings around the Burgess.  

You're headed in the right direction with the '66.  To make your life simpler with the .45 ....... consider annealing your cases.  Yes, annealing is a PITA, skull numb boring, but well worth the effort.  My 6 .45 Rifles run just as clean as a 44-40 or 38-40.  Sometimes I run into a sticky case, but the rifles run very clean indeed (My Thanks to OD#3 for his direction).  You can also anneal 38 or 357 cases to completely eliminate blow-by.

10 hours ago, Diamond Dean Freighter said:

D.D. Freighter

I’ve seen a Burgess  or two in action and it ain’t real smooth and pretty. Should Mrs. Lose ever want to enter our game I’d get her set up with the best 66 or 73 that I could lay my hands on. She’s the kind of woman that likes instant gratification and the Burgess rifle is severely lacking in that department in my unbiased opinion but not knowing your better half like you do I hesitate to make the call. Driving home from a match listening to all of the shortcomings that may at times present themselves with the Burgess firearms may make for a long ride. That being said you may be the type that insists on living on the wild side, kinda like one of my sons, and may find entertainment in her being perplexed by the failure of the Burgess rifle when she was expecting an absolutely glorious match day and just turn up the volume on the radio. Being I enjoy shooting the Pedersoli Lightning rifle I would never foist that upon Mrs. Lose because I know for an absolute certainty that said Lightning will, at the most inopportune moment, chose to not perform up to expectations and then I’d have to endure that long ride home. Glad I could be of help.

Just now, Yul Lose said:

I’ve seen a Burgess  or two in action and it ain’t real smooth and pretty. Should Mrs. Lose ever want to enter our game I’d get her set up with the best 66 or 73 that I could lay my hands on. She’s the kind of woman that likes instant gratification and the Burgess rifle is severely lacking in that department in my unbiased opinion but not knowing your better half like you do I hesitate to make the call. Driving home from a match listening to all of the shortcomings that may at times present themselves with the Burgess firearms may make for a long ride. That being said you may be the type that insists on living on the wild side, kinda like one of my sons, and may find entertainment in her being perplexed by the failure of the Burgess rifle when she was expecting an absolutely glorious match day and just turn up the volume on the radio. Being I enjoy shooting the Pedersoli Lightning rifle I would never foist that upon Mrs. Lose because I know for an absolute certainty that said Lightning will, at the most inopportune moment, chose to not perform up to expectations and then I’d have to endure that long ride home. Glad I could be of help.

Haha, thanks for the reply. Yep just from me explaining some of the comments so far today I already got the "look" and ya I'm not shooting that. So I am definitely forgoing the Burgess purchase. I'm going to stick pretty close to my original plan and likely go with the short stroked and tuned '66. 

Get a 66 in .38-40 !!!

Clean the Bore spray down the block and lifter mortice, wipe down the metal with Balisol .....

And every year or two open up the action and check for any crud....

The slickest feeding cartridge out there with No blow-by...

I call the .38-40 ( .38 WCF ) the .44 - 40 Improved ...

Jabez Cowboy

DDF before you buy the 66 for Perilous Pearl she might want to try the 1866 Saddle Ring carbine in 44-40 that I have.  I have lots of smokeless rounds loaded with Trail boss for it and she's welcome to test it with those.  Then if she likes the feel of the gun then spend the money on the one you are looking at.  Having said that we probably want to wait until it gets a bit warmer.  The -40 wind chills we are experiencing right now would make it down right unpleasant on an out door range.

Grey Beard     

5 minutes ago, Grey Beard said:

DDF before you buy the 66 for Perilous Pearl she might want to try the 1866 Saddle Ring carbine in 44-40 that I have.  I have lots of smokeless rounds loaded with Trail boss for it and she's welcome to test it with those.  Then if she likes the feel of the gun then spend the money on the one you are looking at.  Having said that we probably want to wait until it gets a bit warmer.  The -40 wind chills we are experiencing right now would make it down right unpleasant on an out door range.

Grey Beard     

Thanks Grey Beard, I'll likely take you up on that. He's indicated he's not in a rush to unload it. And March or April should be a whole lot nicer to do a little testing.

You're on once we can get to the range at SMLC.  I forgot to mention that I got Short Fingered Bill to short stroke with a kit I picked up from Cowboys and Indians a few years ago, he's got it pretty smooth.  I think Perilous Pearl will like it, I know I sure do.

Ah .... Diamond Dean ...... Knock Knock .......

You still haven't mentioned where that engraved '66 is located???  Ya remember how much they wanted for it ???  Weak and trembling minds would really like to know  :)

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Driving home from a match listening to all of the shortcomings that may at times present themselves with the Burgess firearms may make for a long ride. That being said you may be the type that insists on living on the wild side, kinda like one of my sons, and may find entertainment in her being perplexed by the failure of the Burgess rifle when she was expecting an absolutely glorious match day and just turn up the volume on the radio. Being I enjoy shooting the Pedersoli Lightning rifle I would never foist that upon Mrs. Lose because I know for an absolute certainty that said Lightning will, at the most inopportune moment, chose to not perform up to expectations and then I’d have to endure that long ride home. Glad I could be of help.

Let me guess.....you live 1/2 mile from the range right?

On 2/4/2019 at 11:18 AM, Diamond Dean Freighter said:

Howdy folks, I've been looking to upgrade my wife's rifle from a Rossi 92 to something possibly in 44-40. Currently she's generally shooting in the ladies frontier cartridge category. Her current rifle is in .38/357 which has been pretty good overall as far a fouling goes. But boy do I hate cleaning that rifle. So I had planned on either a 66, or a 73 in .38/357 or 44-40. However the Burgess rifle has a unique appeal and I've located one in 44-40 for a pretty reasonable price.

I would suggest ignore the 'siren song' ......... you're life will end up shattered on the road to nowhere.

I had one....sent it back three times....after the 3rd time going back, I requested a '66 in it's place.

Get her '92 slicked up per NKJ's instructions and she'll be a happy camper.  It's hard to beat the light weight and compact receiver for ladies.

I shoot BP (44WCF) and simply wash the innards down at the end of the day with Super Tech (Walmart) brake cleaner and scrub just a bit with a small brush if there is anything stubborn.  Lube liberally with Ballistol or Break Free and drip dry.  I've only done a complete tear down to clean once and it wasn't really too bad.

On 2/5/2019 at 11:08 AM, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Get her '92 slicked up per NKJ's instructions and she'll be a happy camper.  It's hard to beat the light weight and compact receiver for ladies.

I shoot BP (44WCF) and simply wash the innards down at the end of the day with Super Tech (Walmart) brake cleaner and scrub just a bit with a small brush if there is anything stubborn.  Lube liberally with Ballistol or Break Free and drip dry.  I've only done a complete tear down to clean once and it wasn't really too bad.

I've gotten the little Rossi pretty smooth. But it's starting to act up on occasion, thus the search for the replacement.

4 hours ago, Diamond Dean Freighter said:

I've gotten the little Rossi pretty smooth. But it's starting to act up on occasion, thus the search for the replacement.

Might get a hold of Nate Kiowa Jones and get it fixed.  Probably never cause you problems again.

10 minutes ago, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

I had one. The firing pin is a poor design. Mine bent twice. Other than that is was cool rifle. 

EC9ECAD1-B41D-4E1F-9034-DFEA9676FFD5.jpeg

The extractor is pretty crappy too.

Let us remember though,  The Burgess makes a marvelous TOMATO STAKE.  An expensive tomato stake, but if you are in need of a really good looking but expensive tomato stake .............................

Hiding that way cool '66 in Kanyada is really .......... sneaky.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Let us remember though,  The Burgess makes a marvelous TOMATO STAKE.  An expensive tomato stake, but if you are in need of a really good looking but expensive tomato stake .............................

Hiding that way cool '66 in Kanyada is really .......... sneaky.

I don't know that I'd go that far. The Burgess is pretty good for Long Range Pistol Caliber at 100 yards; just not very good for a main match rifle.

Archived