SASS Wire Forum

Uberti spare rifle parts?

Dantankerous

Looking into getting an entire spare bolt assembly for my '73. Who/where is a good place to source parts for a Taylor's? Just go straight to Taylor's or one of our cowboy smiths?

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Or Shotgun Boogie for an ungraded bolt.

An upgraded bolt? This sounds interesting. Can you explain more, please?

7 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

An upgraded bolt? This sounds interesting. Can you explain more, please?

https://sbgwllc.myshopify.com/collections/rifle/products/bolt-for-uberti-1866-and-1873-in-35mag-38spec

Direct from the source. He does large calibers, too. 

Maybe at this point I should ask if a new drop in bolt assembly does just that, drop in with no fitting necessary? It looks like it's a straight drop in with just the extractor, firing pin and 

spring. 

For the last 9 months I've been having more than my fair share of rifle problems due to one bolt or extractor issue or another. As Winter Range is coming up I'm looking for the quickest and most durable, most efficient and most reliable solution to this problem.  The problems have been, poor extractor tension leading to extraction problems, extractor pin walking out locking up rifle,  and after considerable work, more extractor issues. I've pulled the bolt from my gun today and the extractor has no tension. I'm reasonably sure it's not a brass issue as I'm using new Star Line brass and my backup rifle exhibits no problems with this brass at all. 

I'm happy to fix the extractor and bolt  I have but perhaps really gate it as a backup for something new.

Thanks.

Have you knocked out the little pin that holds the claw in the bolt? I was having extraction troubles last year. When I pulled the claw out...there was a bunch of crud built up under it in the channel it fits in. I cleaned out the channel and put it back together...no more issues.But it might be a good idea to call vti first and have one or two of those miserable little pins on hand first...

30 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Have you knocked out the little pin that holds the claw in the bolt? I was having extraction troubles last year. When I pulled the claw out...there was a bunch of crud built up under it in the channel it fits in. I cleaned out the channel and put it back together...no more issues.But it might be a good idea to call vti first and have one or two of those miserable little pins on hand first...

Yes.  About 8 months ago whole thing was disassembled and cleaned and reassembled. And then there was an extractor pin walk out problem, and then the extractor lost it's tension, and who knows what else soon to follow...

Dantankerous;   Cowboys Shooters Supplies in Oklahoma,  Joe Briscoe (580) 873-2663.

Great folks to deal with.

Jackrabbit Joe

Give Snake Oil George a call (918)729-0430. He does the one pc firing pin for 73s as featured in the Cronicle a few months back. He repaired the bolt for my 73 and replaced the extractor. It's the best my rifle has ever run and no more hitches. LOVE IT!

call vti first and have one or two of those miserable little pins on hand first...

On older design Uberti bolts, either a piece of 1/16" drill bit shank, or a piece of black hardware wire, straightened and sanded slightly, will serve a lot better than factory pins, at about 3-10% of the price.

Good luck, GJ

7 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Dantankerous;   Cowboys Shooters Supplies in Oklahoma,  Joe Briscoe (580) 873-2663.

Great folks to deal with.

Jackrabbit Joe

Dan, Call Martha, if they have one or some, she’ll set aside for you and Joe will fit it to your gun at either winter range or land run.  Easy peasy, just work another OT day that you get all the time.

Archived