SASS Wire Forum

TTN Shotgun problem

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

I had the exact same problem over ten years ago. I talked to the importer who said he’d “never heard of that before” and then he immediately sent me out a new set of barrels which never fit correctly. Since then Cimarron has taken over importation.

Any double barrel gun will have a small chance of the ribs separating from the barrels.   Relaying ribs (the "right" and expensive way to fix this) is a MAJOR business for even high-end shotgun smiths working on Perrazi, Krieghoff, and Browning.   Briley's of Houston, Run-n-Iron in Nebraska, Art's Gun Shop in Missouri, Merrington's in Texas, Simmons in Kansas might relay ribs on that gun.   Some may sniff and refuse to touch a Chinese gun.  :(  Expect at least $300 charge to do this repair, or higher.

Cleaning the joint really well (including getting the old solder out with a pick or small file) and using top quality epoxy (like Brownell's AcraGlass) will generally hold the ribs for a long time.

I've got a Baikal that has opened a rib.   Much more common on these Russian doubles than the TTNs.    That gun got epoxied.

Good luck, GJ

On 2/4/2019 at 11:09 AM, July Smith said:

Not sure if it's a TTN, but I do shoot with a fellow that had the same issue.  He said he used a high heat epoxy and then tastefully wrapped the end with bailing wire. 

IMG_1807.JPG

On 2/4/2019 at 8:39 AM, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

Been shooting this gun for several years. Sadly to discover the barrels were beginning to separate.

Anyone else have this issue?

Sgt H

Have you found a repair of the barrels on your TTN?

I tried to send you a message but it said you can't receive messages. 

Thats odd about the message thing. I did get it repaired....BUT they epoxied the barrels...not what I was initially told that was going to be used was supposed to be a special automotive adhesive.

Well stopped by the house grabbed 2 boxes of shells...bet you can guess what happened....yup gun went back to the shop. Now waiting to hear back to see what the next step is.

Bill Carson shoots inhuman loads out of a 12 ga with the barrels wired together.  He say he has been shooting it that way for a "while".  Still together.

11 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Hummm?  Suppose they can glue cars together?   

I seen somewhere where a guy reattached a forend hanger rib by tack welding it with a TIG or MIG welder.  The repair was under the forend so it didn't show. 

Amazed me too.    They have been gluing cars together for a long time.   Several years ago the local body shop glued the door skin on my son's 1995 Chevy.    Since then have help local shop replace the sides of pickup boxes, which are glued together.  2 part compound.      GW

I will tell you what you don't want to hear.  Go buy another gun and retire that TTN.  There is a proper repair that costs more than the gun and there are improper repairs that  may or may not work.  It isn't like you are living during the post apocolyptic era and guns aren't available.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:39 AM, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

Been shooting this gun for several years. Sadly to discover the barrels were beginning to separate.

Anyone else have this issue?

Sgt H

Just asking.  Are you shooting black powder or subs and cleaning barrels with some mixture with vinegar?   Or did you antique it with vinegar? 

I'm wondering if the acid in the vinegar may eat at the solder. 

I am shooting real BP an occasional smokeless shell here and there and no to the vinegar cleaning or antiquing....When I do clean it I run hot water down the barrels and then follow up with moose milk.

But I did speak with the shop and was told that it was OK and not what I thought was wrong. Will be picking it up and get the scoop.

Hochbauer

Archived