SASS Wire Forum

1873 hammer spring

Bullett Sass 19707

I have a uberti 1873 rifle in 38-357.   The hammer spring I use to have in it would fire Win, PMC and Fed primers.  I had the smith put in an very light spring that fires Fed primers very well and fires most Win primers but occasionally will not set one or two off.  The smith kept my old spring and says he doesn't have it anymore.  I would like a spring that I can replace if I need to switch to Win, or PMC.   I know that each gun is different and what works in one may not work in another.   The gun has had a very nice action job and is very fast,  I have no complaints in how it runs now.   I have weathered two different primer shortages and sometime there will be another.  Thanks Bullett 19707

There are extra length firing pins that can be fit that may help your misfire problem    GW

I've had great results on most primers with a Happy Trails lightened hammer spring.  

http://www.thesmithshop.com/ldmainsp.html

Of course, you could get a factory Uberti from VTI Gun Parts...... :o

http://www.vtigunparts.com/

Good luck, GJ

+1 for the Smith Shop. Great guys to deal with.   Great products too     GW

I had a similar issue when I first got my 73 Codymatic. As Tyrel Cody said, tightening the mainspring adjusting screw will solve the problem. You can also tighten the mainspring screw, # 36 on the diagram to increase power.

I'd venture a guess that if you have a Smith Shop spring and it fails to light off CCI or Rem primers , then there is something wrong with the rifle that you haven't found yet.  

Good luck, GJ

Archived