SASS Wire Forum

WTC?

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

1 hour ago, Blast Masterson said:

Or maybe he was there to just have some fun...

He obviously was not trying for an advantage over any other shooter. He made the shotgun safe.

This weekend shoot I saw three exception to the rules and stage directions so the shooter could participate in this "Game".

If anyone said "No", or pulled out the rule book, I believe they would be run off the range...

Ya'll ask how to keep and increase membership. I'd recommend you purists consider those that are not there to beat the clock, or you may find yourselves left picking up your own brass.

On to page four!

I agree with you to a point. I'm a "purist", but at the same time I try to be a realist too.

If it's deemed that the SG rounds were illegally acquired I would probably have told the shooter and waved the penalty.

Why?

Cold monthly match... No time advantage... Folks having a fun time don't need a wet blanket thrown on them so long as safety was not an issue.

Phantom

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we are just killing time here, why not a shameless plug for a great shoot?

http://www.fortdesmoinesrangers.com/2019-sass-iowa-state-championship.html

May 24-26, yes memorial day weekend, is the Iowa State Championship - Shootout at Coyote Gulch.  Schedule available on the Link above. 

12 unique stages, dry camping available on-site. It's going to be a rowdy good time!! Come check it out!

Ok that's enough.  To page 4 and beyond!!!!

1 minute ago, Clay Thornton said:

Since we are just killing time here, why not a shameless plug for a great shoot?

http://www.fortdesmoinesrangers.com/2019-sass-iowa-state-championship.html

May 24-26, yes memorial day weekend, is the Iowa State Championship - Shootout at Coyote Gulch.  Schedule available on the Link above. 

12 unique stages, dry camping available on-site. It's going to be a rowdy good time!! Come check it out!

Ok that's enough.  To page 4 and beyond!!!!

Is there a special "gamer" category?

16 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Furthermore, from p. 28, SHB, "Dropped rounds or rounds safely placed onto a prop from their original loading area may be recovered and used. In any case of recovery of a dropped or safely placed round must be performed carefully as to not create a loss of muzzle control."

I say the ammo was carried to the line legally and safely placed onto a prop.

Original loading area = coat pocket = legally carried to the line and legal for reuse.

Coat placed on the prop = safely placed onto a prop = legal for reuse.

Unless muzzle control was not maintained = no call.

If this is not correct, consider me confused. Any other interpretation is, IMO, overly harsh.

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I agree with you to a point. I'm a "purist", but at the same time I try to be a realist too.

If it's deemed that the SG rounds were illegally acquired I would probably have told the shooter and waved the penalty.

Why?

Cold monthly match... No time advantage... Folks having a fun time don't need a wet blanket thrown on them so long as safety was not an issue.

Phantom

+1 to Phantom!  Just because we need to insure that shooters know and follow the rules doesn't mean that common sense can't apply in extenuating circumstances. 

And one post closer to page 4.

2 minutes ago, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

To avoid scrutiny of the "Hard a**'s" on this thread, the shooter could have put his coat back on prior to retrieving shotgun shells needed to complete the stage. 

Yes, but how would we ever get to page 4?

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Why?

Phantom

I agree with your agree.

But for those who are just having fun (after they ran out of shells and will loose any possibility of maintaining their match standing by taking 20 seconds to acquire more ammo to kill the last bad guy standing), they will likely walk off the stage with a smile no matter what time penalty you impose...

1 minute ago, Blast Masterson said:

I agree with your agree.

But for those who are just having fun (after they ran out of shells and will loose any possibility of maintaining their match standing by taking 20 seconds to acquire more ammo to kill the last bad guy standing), they will likely walk off the stage with a smile no matter what time penalty you impose...

With EVERYONE else smiling as well

I sure hated to get in on this discussion but here goes. Are we talking about the validity or the morality of the call. There are clubs that do not follow sass rules explicitly. 

Technically, the stage instructions didn't say to stage the ammo. The rule is pretty specific as to how you can bring ammo to the line. When the coat came off and he retrieved the ammo it had then been staged. I would also say that if you take your shotgun belt off and sit it on the table to go back to and draw shells, you are staging the ammo. If he had clarified and asked if he could do it beforehand, then I'd say he had instructions to do so. That last part is just my opinion based on why be a butthead.

1 hour ago, Tennessee williams said:

I sure hated to get in on this discussion but here goes. Are we talking about the validity or the morality of the call. There are clubs that do not follow sass rules explicitly. 

Technically, the stage instructions didn't say to stage the ammo. The rule is pretty specific as to how you can bring ammo to the line. When the coat came off and he retrieved the ammo it had then been staged. I would also say that if you take your shotgun belt off and sit it on the table to go back to and draw shells, you are staging the ammo. If he had clarified and asked if he could do it beforehand, then I'd say he had instructions to do so. That last part is just my opinion based on why be a butthead.

If I see a shooter complete a stage with their SG belt too high, I'll pass on the penalty and just have them correct the problem... At a monthly...

Same kinda thing here...IMHO.

Phantom

3 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Anything to get us to Page #4 is helpful ...

It doesn't matter if the ammo was staged in an approved manner.  The rules say it must be carried to the line on your person OR staged as per instructions.  That OR means only one of those conditions needs to be met, not both.  Once it's been brought to the line on his person, that's it.  It's legally acquired ammo. 

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If I see a shooter complete a stage with their SG belt too high, I'll pass on the penalty and just have them correct the problem... At a monthly...

Phantom

A belt too high gives the shooter an advantage. That is not the same as gracefully trying to recover from a train wreck, when there no advantage to do so.

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

I agree with you. Ammo was not legally aquired, but why be a butthead. Shooter was having fun and probably could care less 8f the call was made or not anyway.

9 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

It doesn't matter if the ammo was staged in an approved manner.  The rules say it must be carried to the line on your person OR staged as per instructions.  That OR means only one of those conditions needs to be met, not both.  Once it's been brought to the line on his person, that's it.  It's legally acquired ammo. 

I knew better than to get in on this.

No. That doesn't make sense because: In order to stage the ammo it would need to be brought to the line. Why would they waste the ink to put "or staged safely ACCORDING TO STAGE INSTRUCTIONS. The reason it says OR is for the circumstance when a stage calls for staged ammo. It doesn't mean you get to pick. The shells were technically staged and the instructions didn't say to. So technically it illegally acquired. Im usually in the camp of "if you see it, make the call". This situation to me is why I didnt want to get in on the conversation because I wouldn't have called it. He already spent 30 minutes getting the ammo.

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

. He already spent 30 minutes getting the ammo. 

Besides that, he is a real nice fella - he just can't stand to see KD targets still standing.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I believe the caveat to be able to stage rounds per stage inst. was the only way you USED to be able to pick up "down" ammo. The rule has been changed to allow safely retrieving dropped rounds and STAGED rounds. I just don't think that wording was changed.

The tired cowboy removed is hat and wiped the sweat from his furrowed brow. He arched is back and began speaking in a somber tone, "I remember long ago, back on page one, I was there I tell you, the day PWB challenged our posse to get all the way to page 4" He paused for a moment as if remembering a simpler time and continued. "He thought we wouldn't take it seriously, he thought wrong".  The cowboy pulled his revolver from his holster and began firing into the air, as if celebrating Christmas or the 4th of July. And that was the end of the most long drawn out WTC this town had ever seen! Or was it?.........

17 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Flyin through those manuals, ain't we? Yes, you can stage ammo and then retrieve it. per SHB pg. 28, third line.

And a pocket IS a legal way to hold ammunition.

Might ought to slow down just a hair and make sure you don't miss some crucial wording. Such as "in an approved manner" and "according to stage instructions". 

Archived