SASS Wire Forum

Browning B92 vs Winchester Model 1892 125th Anniversary Sporter

Suffolk Slim

Hello All, 

I am new to lever guns and have an overwhelming urge to get into it for all the right reasons.  My use would be mostly at the range, perhaps some Cowboy Action Shooting and the occasional hunt - turkey, hog, deer and the like.  Based on that and cost I have decided that .357 Mag would be my caliber of choice.  I originally landed on a Model 1873 but I have developed some concerns that the rifle can handle .357 Mag for extended periods and I have learned that the 1892 is a much stronger action.  With all of that I can't decide between two guns as noted in the title.  I like the look and feel of the Winchester but I am not a fan of the safety on the receiver -  somehow that just doesn't look right.  With the Browning I like the thought of a classic from the maker himself - I know it's made in Japan - but I have read that it is more true than the Winchester.  With that I thought I would reach out to the community and get your thought to which you would pick and why.

Thank you.

I do not have any experience with the Winchester but I have a Browning B92.  That little carbine is a sweet shooter and very easy to handle.  I used it with 38 special loaded to 1.589 COL and was very happy with its smoothness and accuracy.  Then my wife started to shoot, and now it is her main match rifle.  She lets me take it out hunting whitetails and coyotes, and then I use full house 357 loads.  I have put deer and yotes down out to 80 yards.  I think the rifle my be able to shoot farther, but I am not comfortable enough to do so with open sights.  Just my experience.

Both are made in Japan by Miroku.  Basically, you're looking at the same gun.  One has a safety, the other is pre-safety.  Your choice.  

46 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Both are made in Japan by Miroku.  Basically, you're looking at the same gun.  One has a safety, the other is pre-safety.  Your choice.  

YUP-Same deal for the 1886 too.

OLG

I believe that the Browning B-92 is one of the finest pistol caliber rifles (carbine) that have ever been produced. I had one, and wish that I had kept it. The Marlin is by far the more simple of them all, and is a great gun for both CAS and other type shooting.. but IMO, the B-92 is a very classy gun that is well made. Kinda hard to find. 

Snakebite

The current Winchester branded 1892s not only have a tang safety but also a rebounding hammer that was not part of the original design.  The B92 is a very nice Carbine but to my knowledge they were made in only one configuration.  If you wanted a longer barrel, an octagon barrel or a checkered stock you’d need to look at the Winchester or even one of the Brazilian or Italian repros.

I understand that more of the B92s were made in .44 Magnum than in .357.  Be prepared to pay a bit of a premium.

No question the 1892 is a strong action.  More compact than the action of the 1873 that it was designed to replace.  If you ever  get a chance to shoot a properly set up ‘73, though, you will understand why it is the runaway favorite as a competition rifle.

25 minutes ago, Abe E.S. Corpus SASS #87667 said:

The current Winchester branded 1892s not only have a tang safety but also a rebounding hammer that was not part of the original design.  The B92 is a very nice Carbine but to my knowledge they were made in only one configuration.  If you wanted a longer barrel, an octagon barrel or a checkered stock you’d need to look at the Winchester or even one of the Brazilian or Italian repros.

I understand that more of the B92s were made in .44 Magnum than in .357.  Be prepared to pay a bit of a premium.

No question the 1892 is a strong action.  More compact than the action of the 1873 that it was designed to replace.  If you ever  get a chance to shoot a properly set up ‘73, though, you will understand why it is the runaway favorite as a competition rifle.

The current Miroku Winchester not only has the tang safety and rebounding hammer, but it also has the shorter 5 piece inertia style firing pin. The original and the B 92 both have  one piece full length firing pins. The current Miroku Winchester also has a lever actuated trigger block and a two piece trigger. The original and the B 92 do not have these add-on parts.

I do fire control conversions on the guns. 

Here are the parts that get changed. The 5 piece firing pin not shown but is changed to the full length one piece original style

image.png.9e0b9ed15a1dbf17d59766bdf6137646.png

They are all replaced with just 5 parts.

The full conversion consist of welding up the tang safety hole and color-case hardening.

image.png.4d9808b11c2315d2b6588bf552c5b5af.png

Shown here with the hammer on the 1/4 cock safety.

1 minute ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

The full conversion consist of welding up the tang safety hole and color-case hardening.

image.png.4d9808b11c2315d2b6588bf552c5b5af.png

Shown here with the hammer on the 1/4 cock safety.

Nate, that is downright purty!!

5 hours ago, Suffolk Slim said:

Hello All, 

I am new to lever guns and have an overwhelming urge to get into it for all the right reasons.  My use would be mostly at the range, perhaps some Cowboy Action Shooting and the occasional hunt - turkey, hog, deer and the like.  Based on that and cost I have decided that .357 Mag would be my caliber of choice.  I originally landed on a Model 1873 but I have developed some concerns that the rifle can handle .357 Mag for extended periods and I have learned that the 1892 is a much stronger action.  With all of that I can't decide between two guns as noted in the title.  I like the look and feel of the Winchester but I am not a fan of the safety on the receiver -  somehow that just doesn't look right.  With the Browning I like the thought of a classic from the maker himself - I know it's made in Japan - but I have read that it is more true than the Winchester.  With that I thought I would reach out to the community and get your thought to which you would pick and why.

Thank you.

Do you have a line on a B92 in .357?  I went with an original Winchester instead. (.38-40 to match the '73 Nate Kiowa Jones worked on for me.)

Hello All,

I do appreciate all the feedback and valuable information.  All of this has cemented my thoughts on the Browning B-92.  As of now I do not have a bead on a Browning B-92 in 357 but I have a lot of patience and am sure I will find one.  If not there are a few in 44 Mags available that I could learn to live with :D

11 hours ago, Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904 said:

If you decide a B-92 in 44 mag will work for ya, let me know, I just happen to have a nice one I'd part with

Hello Mudflat Mike,  with the prices folks want for their 357's I may have to rethink the whole 44 vs 357 question.  Let me see what I can find in the next couple of weeks and I will get back to you.  Thank you.

I've got a Browning 92 in 357.  Like the OP I wanted a nice 357 lever gun that did not have any goofy safeties.  My completely stock Browning 92 with 357 mag or 38s loaded to the same OAL as a 357mag runs very reliably.  I shot my 92 when I first started SASS but switched to a Uberti 73 because I wanted to shoot a 44-40 with black powder.  My sister still shoots the B-92 and as long as you run the lever all the way out it will function every time.  She likes it because the 92 is significantly lighter than any 66/73 carbine and the lever throw is shorter than a stock 66/73 too.  The only problem is a few shooters have mistaken it for a Rossi and called it a "piece of c*ap",:D but again as long as you run the lever all the way the Browning 92 will function flawlessly. 

DD7C63D2-C355-4E57-B6FF-5CE3B0F4FD3E.jpeg

16 minutes ago, July Smith said:

I've got a Browning 92 in 357.  Like the OP I wanted a nice 357 lever gun that did not have any goofy safeties.  My completely stock Browning 92 with 357 mag or 38s loaded to the same OAL as a 357mag runs very reliably.  I shot my 92 when I first started SASS but switched to a Uberti 73 because I wanted to shoot a 44-40 with black powder.  My sister still shoots the B-92 and as long as you run the lever all the way out it will function every time.  She likes it because the 92 is significantly lighter than any 66/73 carbine and the lever throw is shorter than a stock 66/73 too.  The only problem is a few shooters have mistaken it for a Rossi and called it a "piece of c*ap",:D but again as long as you run the lever all the way the Browning 92 will function flawlessly. 

DD7C63D2-C355-4E57-B6FF-5CE3B0F4FD3E.jpeg

Morning July,  Sounds just right for me.  Will you please PM me a few more detailed pictures.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Suffolk Slim said:

Morning July,  Sounds just right for me.  Will you please PM me a few more detailed pictures.  Thank you.

Can't make any kind of deal on this wire unless you are a member pard.  Them's the rules.

1 hour ago, Suffolk Slim said:

FWIW If you are hunting a '92, don't limit yourself to a Browning.  I found my Rossi that had been worked over by NKJ that is flawless on the range.  

41 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Can't make any kind of deal on this wire unless you are a member pard.  Them's the rules.

Not correct-

Non member can not offer for sale..

Non member can buy.

Respectfully,

OLG

Suffolk,

i have a B92 in .44, a Winchester 92 with the rebound hammer in .44 mag and the JW comm in .44-40 modified to shoot .44 spcl. I have found all three to be smooth shooting firearms and hunted hog with the Winchester in .44mag. While everyone is talking up the Browning I think you can count on the Winchester in .357 as well. 

Nimble Fingers

18 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

That would be wrong .

A None Member Cant Post anything For Sale .

But a None Member Can comment and Buy form the wire .

Just saying .

Rooster 

I just sold my Browning B92 after 22 years. For the last 9 years it was my wife's main match rifle and she loved it but has decided to move up to a Miroku M73. The B92 is a rifle of excellent quality and if that's what you are interested in it, it is a good purchase.

5 hours ago, Dapper Dynamite Dick said:

I just sold my Browning B92 after 22 years. For the last 9 years it was my wife's main match rifle and she loved it but has decided to move up to a Miroku M73. The B92 is a rifle of excellent quality and if that's what you are interested in it, it is a good purchase.

Hello Dapper Dynamite Dick, So sorry I missed the sale - it sounds like the perfect rifle.  Each post I see here further cements my desire for the Browning B92.  My big problem is finding one.  I search the sales sites daily but I am sure there are places to look that I am not aware of.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Nimble Fingers is that the 92 being discussed in the other thread ,,, converted to .44 Spl.  from .44-40 ????

Jabez Cowboy

The only rifle that Nelson made the modification on is a Winchester JW92 Commemorative. The B92 in .44 mag can shoot .44 spcl. If memory serves me the B92’s were only in .44 mag & .357 mag, but you seem to be the “authority” on the subject so I will bow to your expertise on whether there is a Browning 92 in .44-40 made. I am assuming that you have no problem with me shooting .44 specials in the .44 magnum model?  

Oh and the B92 is not for sale either. None of my current guns are for sale!

Nimble Fingers

Archived