SASS Wire Forum

IJAFG ( or is it?)

Snakebite

IJAFG. I’ve seen this around for years and I suppose that it carries more truth for some than for others. I’ve never really cared much for it. To me, and to many of the fine folks that I have met through this wonderful “Game” it is much more than just a game, it has become a major aspect in our daily lives. Many folks have invested untold hours in a quest to keep the game alive and well both locally and World Wide, and I thank them one and all.  In doing so they have reaped the benefit of involvement. All the time enjoying their successes and enduring their failures. The “Game” has provided an avenue to meet new friends and to keep in touch with old friends. For many participating in CAS on an ongoing basis has had a very positive effect by virtue of the many little things associated with being active in the game, things like loading ammo, fiddling with their equipment, learning how to do this or that, or just getting on the computer to see what new post have popped up overnight. (It sure beats watching another rerun of “I Love Lucy”)  Yeah, it’s much ore than JAFG. I encourage you all to be as active as possible and support your local club and SASS. When your club calls for a “Work Day”, get off you Butt and go help… even if you only stand there and cheer!

10 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

It's just a "Fu...n" game.

Sorry Snakebite, but to me it is just that.

Not to be taken too seriously... For that's what IJAFG is meant to address.

Believe me... I truly do understand... Playing the game is just that... it really doesn't mean much whether you are Top Dog or just in the pack... I've been in both places and they are really the same. It's NOT the playing of the game that I am talking about, it is the distraction from some things in life that might otherwise become overwhelming. Everyone does not have a full schedule that keeps them busy... so this "Game" can provide them with that. I know that you have had times when a little distraction was a good thing. This is one of those things.

Snakebite

I suspect folks use the statement IJAFG when there are those who allow the sport to become all consuming and become so fanatical about aspects of the game that they infringe upon other folk's enjoyment.

I personally view the sport as a pleasant distraction from reality and my only concern is that I have fun.  When it's no longer fun and the competition becomes all consuming, it will be time to step away.

It's Just A Friendly Game!

Use your own F word, I try not to use the FxxK vernacular.

TB

It's Just A Family Game, also. Let's me spend more time with my wife and kids than I would if we didn't shoot SASS. It get's me away from work and them away from their computers and we all get to interact with real people. And have fun.

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Careful, now...some sensitive souls might become self-offended by their translation of that letter "F"!
:P

:lol::lol::lol:

I TRY TO BEHAVE!

Waimea

35 minutes ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

It's Just A Friendly Game!

Use your own F word, I try not to use the FxxK vernacular.

TB

I like it.

One more step towards my Redemption.

It is more than a game to me. It is a way to relate to people I would not have met otherwise, and share fun times. It teaches me the patience and discipline that I am occasionally lacking in. Where I finish is not as important as the fact I participated.  It lets me see some truly spectacular performances and I get to associate with those folks. Because the game was set up to be fun and not a money race/training ground for the perpetually PO ed, my family is embraced and not uncomfortable or unwelcome at our venues. Football is just a game,  CAS is a lot more to me. You are free to disagree right up to the point you tell me I cant play this game.

Imis

To me that acronym refers to the actual shooting, score keeping, penalizing part of CAS . The camaraderie, friendships, socializing and such are a whole different part of the experience and taken very seriously.

Often times we do not just enjoy the ride.  Have fun with CAS, appreciate the friends you have made and those you have not made yet.  The company, the laughter, the frustrations, most importantly the after the shoot socialization. Just have fun with it.....some days, I shoot well and there are those days where all I can do is laugh at the old guy in the reflection of my stainless still pistolas. 

Because it’s going to require a flu epidemic for me to win even a local match the game I play is primarily against myself. If I beat my personal best, regardless of where I place in the rankings, then I’m happy. If I don’t  beat my personal best then I still played cowboy with friends all day. When I keep it in this perspective I win every time.

4 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Careful, now...some sensitive souls might become self-offended by their translation of that letter "F"!
:P

Not to mention this is a family sport and there's probably some kids reading this stuff!!

It is a game.......to everyone who plays it. The difference is that some people play just to play while others play to win. Regardless of which end of the spectrum we fall we’re all playing to have fun. Just because someone else doesn’t play the way you do doesn’t mean they’re not having fun. I play to win. I crave competition. That’s how I have fun. So if you see me being serious at a match please don’t think I’m not having fun. That’s exactly what I’m doing. ;)

I tell new shooters you get to play the game the way you want to.  If once a month in minimal clothes is your thing, you're welcome to come out.  If clothes are your thing, you're welcome to come out.  If you like to make smoke and flame, you're welcome to come out.  If you want to go fast, and get faster, you're welcome to come out.  If you want to shoot every week and take what you get, you're welcome to come out.  Any combination of the above is welcome.  We're here to have fun, in whatever form that takes.

Regardless of how you play the game, enjoying the sport and the people who play it is as important as anything else.  

SASS/CAS is the only game/sport I've been involved in where 3rd stringers don't sit on the bench

but rather get as much play time as the 1st stringers and superstars.

Its where a 'clean stage' is like a touchdown whether it was done in 15 seconds or 30 seconds.

I kinda like the IJAFFFFG....."Fantastic, Friendly, Fun, Family Game".

..........Widder

I will go with..

I'm Just A Fat Guy :lol:

I wear one of those IJAFG pins. I just think it's a funny reminder to not take it too seriously when you have a bad stage or something. 

2 hours ago, Buckaroo Bubba said:

I will go with..

I'm Just A Fat Guy :lol:

I wear one of those IJAFG pins. I just think it's a funny reminder to not take it too seriously when you have a bad stage or something. 

Dang! Now I want one of those pins. :lol:

14 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Not to mention this is a family sport and there's probably some kids reading this stuff!!

If kids are considered to be anyone under forty...

It's just a FOOLISH game. It has a spirit of said "game" further reinforcing the game concept. There is also a way to go about said game termed "The Cowboy Way". What is most amusing about said "Cowboy Way," is that it becomes a sort of oxymoronic declaration when it is used to judge the conduct of another "Cowboy" or the phrase "That's not the" precedes it. This is especially true when used in heated discourse with another "Cowboy." Said "Interpersonally Conflicted Cowboys" may not have ever been able to ride a horse and the sheer amount of money that said "Interpersonally Conflicted Cowboys" have invested in their equipment precludes them from actually being a "Cowboy" by trade at all. So there is a ponderance for a Monday...

1 hour ago, Carolina Gunslinger said:

If kids are considered to be anyone under forty...

It's just a FOOLISH game. It has a spirit of said "game" further reinforcing the game concept. There is also a way to go about said game termed "The Cowboy Way". What is most amusing about said "Cowboy Way," is that it becomes a sort of oxymoronic declaration when it is used to judge the conduct of another "Cowboy" or the phrase "That's not the" precedes it. This is especially true when used in heated discourse with another "Cowboy." Said "Interpersonally Conflicted Cowboys" may not have ever been able to ride a horse and the sheer amount of money that said "Interpersonally Conflicted Cowboys" have invested in their equipment precludes them from actually being a "Cowboy" by trade at all. So there is a ponderance for a Monday...

The Cowboy Way has a way of appearing and fading away quickly for many people, IMHO, of course.

Gus McCrae: It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.........    Meaning to me SASS is a sport or hobby with a social aspect that extends beyond the range!  Tully

SASS has been a great way to meet like minded folks that I never would have had the opportunity and the pleasure of meeting with out the "GAME". When my daughter went to college at NAU first thing I did was contact the local club the Yavapai Rangers. I met some life long friends through this club.  

My wife is now shooting and a friends wife is now shooting, they both enjoy it regardless of their statements of "we only do it for you guys", the smiles on their faces give that away. We now have a couple that we travel and do stuff besides shooting, that's a good thing! We just spent two nights in Tahoe snowshoeing.

SASS gives you a welcoming card anywhere you go, just send an email or call the club contact you care to visit while traveling and they most likely welcome you to their shoot without hesitation, or just provide you with some local area details if your not shooting. For the most part SASS is one big family.

IJAFG to me is just like the old debate of "old vs. new" or "stock guns vs. slicked up guns", IJAFG is all about what you want out of it. It's not my life, but it's a large part of it and I would miss the people, competition and campfires if it was to go away!  

Tully

Archived