SASS Wire Forum

Anyone familiar with Yellowstone Park?

Alpo

Novel I'm reading, guy is making a documentary about the winter elk migration from "Whitestone Park".

Currently he is at the "Mary River".

I figger that if they changed the park name, slightly, they might do the same with a river. Wondered if there might be a river north of the park with a girl's name? The Marie, or the Nancy, or like that.

It would help to orient me in the story.

1 hour ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

There is the Marias River in northern Montana , not thinking Yellowstone elk would be migrating there , though.

That's a long dang way.

data=Mlu-oeiyCAfo-d-F-v0tpT7hRG-unPIblbG

274.5 miles.

Just got to another part of the book where it says the Mary is still in the park boundaries.

So the river I'm looking for would be in the northern section of Yellowstone, but still in the park.

25 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That one's 103 miles.

data=aNaVOu8bO3jTqKh7B6mm-Tcpzx-OhlZQC9-

Anybody know of one closer?

Well hell. According to wiki the Madison STARTS in Yellowstone, and flows north and west. Maybe that 103 miles is the length of it. Or maybe it's 103 from the start of the river to dead center of the park.

Seems like ever time I try to figger something out, it gets more confusing.

Most likely a fictitious river. Films and novels are good at doing that. Every time I see a movie supposedly based in WA state they give the protagonist's hometown a fictitious name and it's located in a fictitious county, and of course the whole thing was filmed someplace like Ontario, Canada.

I'da thought that, if it was the Gonzalez National Park, or even the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

But it's like Yogi Bear was in Jellystone. This was Whitestone. An obvious "we're not talking about Yellowstone, nudge nudge, wink wink".

Archived