SASS Wire Forum

Pistol Weight

nunnfaster, SASS #51021

2 minutes ago, nunnfaster, SASS #52021 said:

What are some of the lightest weight revolvers in any caliber for our sport?

With bullets or without?

Visit the websites of Cimmaron, Taylor, Ruger, EMF, Colt, etc...... and check out their pistols and specs.

That should give you all the correct info you are seeking.

..........Widder

Howdy,

You might want to check the early blackhawks.

Some had aluminum alloy parts in place of steel.

Not all Rugers are created equal....Chief AJ.

Best

CR

8 hours ago, Sagebrush Burns, SASS # 14226 said:

Ruger baby Vaquero (Single Six) in 32 H & R.

Ruger made a  run of 5 1/2" Single Six .32's with aluminum grip frames that weigh 31 oz.

12 hours ago, nunnfaster, SASS #52021 said:

Good question. Best for arthritis. For regular shooting matches.

You don't want 'lite'.

The recoil 'snap' will make things worst.

I have Arthritis in both hands, and shoot .44 cal OMV Rugers.

I have had to return to 2-handed shooting because of that SOB, Old Arthur..........

OLG

Light guns generally have snappy recoil.  Gonna be a balance.  I'd try a bunch of combos before I went light.  I went to heavier guns and lighter bullets.   Wasn't totally convinced that combo was a good idea until I went back and shot several combinations side by side.  

FWIW I am shooting Uberti SAAs, 4 3/4", in 32-20 and a 115gr bullet.  Likely one of the heavier guns for a SAA.   A lot more comfortable for my arthritic hands shooting gun fighter.  Issue would likely your ability to hold/shoot the heavier guns and be comfortable doing so.   Less recoil from the ammo choice, the easier all that is for me. 

596a19d3b7415_CimarronLightningJuly2017.jpg.6974515bedefee8d20ec18c91f5fb7b9.jpg

My little Cimarron Lightnings 32 H&R and extra cylinders for 32-20WCF have more felt recoil than you'd expect - even when shooting 32 S&W Long with 100 grain bullet.  The lightest recoil gun we have is Sawmill Mary's Cattleman in 357/38 shooting the 38 Short Colt loads.  

Maybe asks the Match Director if you can shoot 22s?

Arthritic hands using light pistols may not be your best goal in this effort.

I would think you would want something well 'balanced', with an easier cocking setup.

This could probably be accomplished by trying out some short barreled pistols with

a lower hammer spur.   OR, maybe not.   The SHOOTER needs to check out these options.

In my opinion, the pistols should atleast be smoothed up by a good Cowboy gunsmith.

AND...if you can shoot a 'reasonable' powered load (regardless of caliber), a little recoil could

be a benefit to the shooter.   Some recoil could enhance the cocking efforts..... maybe.

But these are things the SHOOTER needs to check out.

If Arthritis keeps the shooter from handling small ammo like the .32's, them maybe some

Cowboy .45 Special ammo would be more appropriate.

But this is something the SHOOTER would need to look at and decide.

My guess is that many Cowboys/Girls have physical limitations with our firearms, or atleast  with one

of our guns.   

Sad but true, there are folks who have physical situations (limits) that hinder them from

shooting many pistols that feel good and comfortable in their hands.   They may not find

something that feel perfect for them but they still manage to handle them safety and shoot well.

..........Widder

In the FWIW category..

I did some testing last summer and had no predisposed opinion other than may be I'd rather  keep shooting 45 Cowboy Special and a 165 gr bullet.  (or lighter if I could find one)

I did all my testing with 4 3/4" SAA guns.  I used a pair of 32-20s, same in .38 Specials, and of course .45s.  Weight of the guns  go up as the caliber gets smaller in a SAA.  

Frankly I was pretty shocked by the difference a light loaded 165 gr. C45S compared to a 115gr. 32-20.   Not much powder in the 32-20.   A similar lack of recoil ( but still not in the same league) from a light loaded 38 Special.   But the gun's weigh change between calibers if hand and arm strength are an issue.

By comparison 32-20 is neither cheap or as easy to reload for as  the 38 or 45 but the advantages shooting a 100 or 115 gr bullet with small powder charges are pretty clear when you try them all side by side even with the heavier guns in .32-20.

45cowboyspecial_web.jpg

My pair of 32-20s on top here.  No excuse to miss shooting them!     Bottom SAA is a 44-40.

triple.jpg

Archived