SASS Wire Forum

Looking for Long Gun Opinions

Tequila Shooter

Was out today and saw 2 rifles and thought I'd see what others thought.  Both are new, both are .45 LC, both have round barrels, the 1866 has a shorter barrel, the actions on both feel about the same.  Up first is a Winchester 1873, fit and finish look good on this one with nice wood and it has a color case hardened finish on the receiver.  The other is a Uberti 1866 Yellowboy with a lot of fancy engraving on the brass.  It has been in the shop for about 3 years and has some nicks on the stock and the salesman said that chances are they'd come down on the price a little.  The Winchester is listed for $100. more than the Uberti.   

I want the gun for shooting, not a wall hanger, what do you think?

Both are the same caliber?   Are you sure the 73 is a really a Winchester?   They never made them in that caliber.

That being said, I'd be more inclined to go with a 73, but it's really 6 of one half a dozen of another.  It all comes down to what you enjoy holding better.

For value, the Winchester.  After that, all else being the same, you get into personal preferences.  Do you like the swing of the longer barrel or shorter barrel?  Does the lever safety on the Winchester need to be worked over or is it good to go?  Your thoughts on the lever safety over no lever safety? How smooth are the actions out of the box?  Would you want to short stroke the 66 assuming the Winchester is good out of the box?  If so add the cost to the 66.   It doesn't really matter what the rest of us think.

I have a 66 in 44-40 24" barrel.....Love it! Except when I have to take it apart to clean the innards. When I bought my rifle I had the choice between that and a 73 but liked the looks of the 66. That said my next gun would be a 73 same caliber and from what I have seen of the Miroku Winchesters they are nice out of the box.

Hochbauer

I'm not an expert on all things Uberti, but I don't think they sold a factory engraved model, other than the "Anniversary Model" which was Hand Engraved, had a 20" round barrel, and beautiful wood.  Only 350 were made.  If it's one of them, I'd be sorely tempted.  From a pure competition standpoint, I'd want the Miroku Winchester...From a "WOW, I like the look of that!" standpoint, I'd want that '66...  which doesn't help you a bit.  

Both will give you years of shooting fun.  The '73 is easier to break down and clean.  If you want to shoot black powder a lot, for me, that would be the wrong caliber.  Having done it, I've relegated my '45 rifles to smokeless powder shooting.  (You can't really tell, but in my little round Avatar on the left, I'm shooting a '66 in .45 with BP.  It takes a bit of cleaning and lubing every other stage or so, to run a '66 or '73 with BP).

At this point in my life, I'd personally go with the '66.  If I was just getting into the game with years of competing in front of me, I'd go for the '73. I can't help you.  I have both.   It all comes down to which one makes you smile... 

The 73 would be my choice, the 66 is good but it's tricky to take apart and clean. I'd go with the Winchester 73 (even it's an Uberti 73)

I shoot my Winchester Miroku 73 about ten times more often than I do my Uberti 66. Still, I wouldn’t sell my 66. Also, personally, there are very few engraved guns that I like the look of.

If you are shopping for a tool get the 73.

I shoot a 73 and really like that the 73 has a lever safety. I shoot my rifle pretty fast and that safety "should" prevent an out of battery discharge. The 66 does not have this feature. I love the look of the 66 but don't think is would be a good fit for me. I know a ton of guys that shoot and love the 66. 

73 is also easier to clean. 

Just so everyone can see what I'm faced with:

Only 350 made

Uberti 1866 Yellowboy Engraved 150th Anniversary Edition

February 6, 2016 - 9:20am

Posted in: 

Detail of the hand engraved receiver

And this is the Winchester

image.png.5d5a38cd938e0513081c671708126e56.png

5 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

Just so everyone can see what I'm faced with:

Only 350 made

Uberti 1866 Yellowboy Engraved 150th Anniversary Edition

February 6, 2016 - 9:20am

Posted in: 

Detail of the hand engraved receiver

And this is the Winchester

image.png.5d5a38cd938e0513081c671708126e56.png

Beautiful 66, but I'd still go with the 73 for all the reasons stated above.

Wow!!! That's beautiful!!!

I love pretty guns!!!

My Baikal is engraved, my 58 Remingtons and my 92 are polished stainless. Next winter the Baikal is getting nickel plated, the 92 and Remingtons are getting engraved. I'm also going to buy plain steel screws and fire blue them. I think the fire blued screws look amazing on stainless guns!

The Baikal might get plated before that, depends on how my new plating set up works out...

If this is your first cas rifle, I’d go with the Winchester. Better quality from the get go and will run for you out of the box. Use that for a bit and then look toward getting something fancy so you’ll have the Winchester if anything goes wrong. Or get both now if you can afford it. Those engraved models are really nice looking and pretty well done, but they won’t hold any real collector value. Only 350 made, this time. They come out with different ones all time. 

But that 66 sure is pretty :D

I like purty guns... I don't care about collector value.  I shoot 'em all.

Yes, I have some engraved.  I like 'em.  To each his own.

First rifle?  Go with the Win/ Miroku '73.

Just my opinion.  Every body has one.   

Other way around for me.  Jam and Fudge Miroku '73 vs VERY nicely engraved Uberti '66.  No contest, the '66 is Uber nice.  Consider:  Action work on the '66 is all internal.  Done right, completely reversible.  Collector Value and Uberti don't belong in the same sentence.  It's not going to hold "Collector Value."  Who cares??  Gonna shoot it anyway.  Extensively.  Like it when it's "Ooooh .. Lookit Dat."  Understanding, my Main Match rifles are Henrys and '66s.  I only shoot a '73 about once a season.  

Now if I just knew where that engraved '66 was located, I could perhaps narrow the choices.  Greatly.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Apples vs oranges  Both are repos . and would serve you well.  I like the Uberti  ,You can beat it , drop it scratch it and not feel bad or you could  just buy them both ,they are both cheap money .:FlagAm: :FlagAm:

5 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Now, now Redwood ........

You know what Thumper's Mother taught.  "If you can't come up with something intelligent to say, don't say anything."

I’d have to take a vow of silence if I adhered to that old adage. 

Archived