SASS Wire Forum

Double barrel advise

Hot Iron Hill

In the no longer being made catagory, Ithaca's by SKB and Browning BSS are champs.  Occasionally, a SXS Miroku pops up (like a BSS but frequently a better deal)

CZ makes a nice gun.  A clean Stevens 311 is good too.

A $400.00 Stoeger does just fine. Find a YouTube vid on how to slick it up and your good to go. Somebody you shoot with probably do it for you.

15 minutes ago, Hot Iron Hill said:

Thinking I want to go hammerless and 12ga....was looking for a reliable gun to last me a long time but not break the bank.

".....last me a long time....."

This would be relevant to your usage and care.

I don't shoot a SxS, but the same holds true with all our firearms.

If you only shoot once a month or less,  most 'reasonable quality'  shotguns could last a long time.

The more reputable AND RELIABLE SxS shotguns seem to be the SKB, Browning BSS, Biakal and Stoeger, as mentioned above by Michigan Slim.

Can't comment on others as I don't know or haven't heard much about them from Cowboy shooters in this area.

..........Widder

You need to ask yourself a couple of questions;

How competitive are you?  Are you going to be upset if you finish low in the rankings?

Can you afford to spend $1000-1200 for a shotgun?

If you answer yes to those questions, find a Browning BSS or SKB tuned by one of the recognized Cowboy gunsmiths.

If the answer is “No” to either one, consider other brands.  It is true that not every top shooter uses a BSS or SKB, but those two shotguns are remarkably common  among the best CAS competitors.

It is easier to recover your investment when selling a premium shotgun like a BSS or SKB than one of the less expensive shotguns.   If you can bring yourself to get a championship level shotgun, I doubt you will ever regret it.

Wait for a good used Stoeger to come up for sale on the Classifieds.They are good entry level guns,and you will probably get most of money back when you out grow it(like the previous owner probably did).

Choctaw

9 hours ago, Hot Iron Hill said:

Thinking I want to go hammerless and 12ga....was looking for a reliable gun to last me a long time but not break the bank.

Hunt the gun shops that trade guns or gun show and buy a solid Stevens 311 or the same with Sears,  Monkey Wards, of Western Auto brand name.  Don't funnel the chambers or saw off the barrels.  Shoot it until you get experience at the game and have a better understanding of what direction you want to go.

For the money, it will be hard to beat a new Stoeger, have it tuned or do it yourself.  With a used gun you never know if you are buying someone elses trouble unless you have experience with the gun.  If you want to spend more, there are some good choices out there. 

Blackfoot:FlagAm:

I actually prefer the Stoeger.  With a little work i think they can run just as good as the higher dollar SxS for a lot less.  Even if ya buy one of the higher dollar SxS you'll still end up having the same work done to them.  Just my opinion, I'd rather save that money for better pistol's and rifle's.  In the end it all come's down to what ya want. 

I've been shooting sass for two years now, I started with a Stevens 311 double trigger. Built like an anvil and will never fail you just so long as you don't dry fire it. Currently I run a Stevens 315 single trigger (no it's not for sale and good luck finding one) it has done me well but it's slow, like the 311, and I'm faster with the double now and it's become a hindrance so I'm building a single trigger Baikal, light, smooth, easy to open and close and darn fast. The saying on the Baikal is "the good thing is, they are build like a Russian tank. The bad thing is, they are built like a Russian tank". They need a ton of work to be SASS ready, but it's worth it! 

For you first double, I recommend a 311, they are cheap and built like anvils so you don't have to worry about it breaking while you focus on learning the game, do the cowboy mods, shoot it for a year or so, in the meantime, save up for a faster double.

I am going to say Stoeger.  Lots of parts to help slick them up and between some parts, some slicking and the cost of the gun, fairly cheap way to go.  High end shotguns they are not but they get the job done for this game.  I am shooting a 97 currently but thinking of dragging the old Stoger back out.  Break one (and this game is hard on doubles locking lugs), strip the slick up parts off go find another new or slightly used.

I would avoid the higher end unless:

a. you know you want to run a double really hard and fast

b. you are just getting going

c. you are already getting high in ranking in the game.

I just had Run N Iron get a regular Charles Daly 512 and shorten the barrel to 22 inches, no choke tubes...  Simply an awesome shotgun after he tuned it, around $850 out the door, might have been a little more, he did a couple of other small smithing projects while I was there...

Archived