SASS Wire Forum

Remington Gun Clubs

Clay Thornton

Their are 4 different loads that are available for Remington Gun Clubs in 12 gauge - chart below

I recently bought a case of 1,1/8 ounce, because they were the slowest FPS, as I like the way they shuck out of my Stoeger. However I have never thought any deeper as to if the 1 ounce load or the 7/8 ounce, while marginally faster would actually shoot softer. 

Which ones do you use or do you feel are the lightest shooting for our sport?

Screenshot_20190201-073409~2.png

The 7/8th ounce is a 20 gauge.

Perceived recoil is probably a bit less with the 1 ounce as the velocity difference is fairly slight although the dram equivalent is the same.

Just my opinion.

The 1 oz is my Favorite. These are very good for CAS, they reload as well as any hull that I have used. They shuck out for me as well as any of the smooth cases. I have checked sizing on MANY of them, and have never found one to be out of proper size. THAT is certainly not the case with the WW Low noise and recoil shells. One of two out of every box that I have checked on them was too large. 

Snakebite

23 minutes ago, Shotgun Clay said:

The 7/8th ounce is a 20 gauge.

Perceived recoil is probably a bit less with the 1 ounce as the velocity difference is fairly slight although the dram equivalent is the same.

Just my opinion.

Good catch on the 20 gauge, I glossed over that entirely. 

7 minutes ago, Clay Thornton said:

Good catch on the 20 gauge, I glossed over that entirely. 

Federal make a 7/8ths oz 12 load at 1200 fps in their Top Gun Line. They are every bit as good as the Gun Clubs with one caveat. A few years ago they put out a bad run of shells with slightly deformed heads causing 1 or 2 per box to hang up. Easy to fix with a super sizer. Unless you run into some really old stock I doubt there are any left in stores. 

I have yet to find a KD that they will not work on. Regular price is $6.99 but you can find them on sale with a rebate that makes them cost just under $6.00

Recoil is on par with the AA LNLR. In fct they are close enough that most people wouldn't know the difference unless shot SXS in the same gun.

Federal has a 12 gauge sub sonic load billed as a 900 fps velocity. 1 and 1/8 ounce 7.5 shot. It's a ribbed case but others on the wire said shucking was no problem. I'm on my way to check some stores now to get a box to test "shuckability" and if they meet Shortcake's recoil standards. I'll let you know what I find out.

56 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

1oz is softer in felt recoil.

OLG

^^^^ This - plus -  the 12 ga SG is likely to be heavier which also mitigates recoil ....

i bought a bunch of 1oz , they do shoot softer , i use them for trap , ive stayed with the heavier for sporting clays , i load a light 3/4 for SASS , but the 1oz is my fallback 

Archived