SASS Wire Forum

ruger verses S & W

Trigger Mike

I've been looking at Ruger LCR in 9mm and 22 magnum.  A Ruger LCR goes for 450-500 for both calibers.  The 9mm holds 5 rounds.  The 22 magnum holds 6.  I then saw the S & W 351 PD in 22 magnum and it is 700 but has a fiber optic sight and holds 7 rounds and fits the hand better and is lighter.  The S & W short barreled 9mm revolver is over 900 but holds 7 rounds (not sure how it feels in the hand as I have never seen one) .  Why is the S & W so much higher in comparison?  They both go bang.  I do know from experience that the Ruger 9mm is reliable but not accurate compared to a charter arms and has a wide group (possibly due to the sights) I wonder if the S & W is accurate.  

I have feed my Sig P 365 every type or bullet shape  hollow points self defense , round nose  all different reloads with different bullet weights and powders no failures to feed or fire .  I started with two hundred Winchester 9mm. White box target full metal jacket then when to my reloads . Shooting as fast as possible to try to cause a malfunction but no problems ,it just fired everything.  I used both two 10 round and two 12 round mags trying . About 500 hundred rounds and not one malfunction , I fingered I had a winner for a carry gun.

Much prefer S&W revolvers to Ruger double actions.   Son has an LCR in 22 and trigger is TERRIBLE and research shows not much help for improving especially for 22,   more for centerfire.    S&W work  IMHO        Personally do not like any Ruger DA since they quite the Security Six        GW

Trigger---that's always been the case---Lower price for a good hand gun is one of their main selling points --that was  one of their original  ideas even way back when they first got in business-------bad side of em tho is they are lots heavier than other brands!

Howdy,

Put a magnum with a short barrel and most of the powder

just turns into blast. Which could be good if you just want to scare.

The little revolver lcr doesn't throw brass and moon clips make for

quick loads.  Several loaded 9mm moon clips can hide in a little 

medicine bottle.  

lcr 9mm. great idea.

Best

CR

16 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Why is the S & W so much higher in comparison?  They both go bang.  

Well that is a question that is really multi-faceted. Both companies make quality firearms. S&W has been around for much longer and has an international customer base. Their products sell, pretty much at the prices they ask . 

Ruger is a much younger company with a smaller fan base. They also make quality products. Being a newer, and possibly more dynamic forward thinking organization, they have dveloped techniques that allow them to keep their manufacturing costs down.

There is also the marketing aspect involved and the cost of facilities and employees.

What you have basically is a Ford vs Chevy scenario. It comes down to which you like more.

For 9mm I really like my S&W M&P 9c, shoots great!! As far as revolvers other than Colt SAA's I prefer S&W revolvers!

Hey Rye, bet you have never shot or owned a Colt Python.  If you had you might not be so sold on the S&Ws. Don't get me wrong; I own four S&Ws. but the Python is the KING!  Cheers,  Hoss C.

I recommend the S&W M&P9 Shield in 9mm.  Costs around $360 or less.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_21_39_1807/products_id/82836/Firearms/Handguns/Smith+%26+Wesson/S%26W+Pistols/S%26W+M%26P9+Shield+7%2B18%2B1+9mm+3.1

The photos below are pics of my every day carry weapon.  It is easy for me to shoot well.  I have over 1,000 rounds through this pistol without a single fail or malfunction of any type.  !00% reliable.

S&W Shield in 9mm

da8Jel.jpg

jSvZ3l.jpg

If I were to carry a revolver for concealed carry, it would be my S&W Model 36 "Chief's Special" in 38 Special.  100% reliable and many on the used market for less than $400.

S&W Model 36 "Chief's Special" in 38 Special

UHABCb.jpg

7qTCAL.jpg

OMG I have stepped back in time again... 

S&W, Ruger, Colt all make fine revolvers. What you end up with is what you like and what you WANT to afford. 

Personally, I believe S&W is best...so there...I declare myself the winner :P

Bottles, line ‘em up. Put ‘em on....hmmm, put em on Hoss’ tab. :D

On 1/31/2019 at 9:24 PM, Trigger Mike said:

but I like 9mm revolvers for loading snake shot

I'm a bit lost with this statement.

From CCI's site:

That is Caliber, muzzle velocity, pellet size, shot weight in grains, number of rounds in a box

Detail     3790     9mm Luger     1450     #12     53     10
Detail     3712CC     Big 4™ 9mm Luger     1000     #4     45     10
Detail     3738     38 Spl/357 Mag**     1000     #9     100     10
Detail     3714CC     Big 4 38 Spl/357 Mag**     1000     #4     84     10

Notice 9mm has a massive FIFTY THREE GRAINS of #12 DUST (the exact same load as a 22 magnum), while the 38 has 100 grains (almost twice as much) of #9, which is shot big enough to actually do something.

Now, I've got a 940, and I like it, but if I was gonna carry a J frame for snakes, it'd be a 642. Lightweight, stainless and aluminum so it won't rust when I sweat on it, and 38 special because of the larger payload.

I have a S & W Model 638 .38 Spec (rated o shoot +P ammo). I bought it new last year at our local gun show. I paid $400.00 new in the factory box. I put it in my pocket and also have a pocket holster. It shoots great, but the +P is a handful. When I carry it, it is loaded with +P's so if I have to use it, the +P has better stopping power.

Couldn't ask for a better CC gun, especially for the $$$.

TM,

I have 3 S&W J frame revolvers. 

On 1/31/2019 at 6:16 PM, Trigger Mike said:

Why is the S & W so much higher in comparison?  They both go bang.  I do know from experience that the Ruger 9mm is reliable but not accurate compared to a charter arms and has a wide group (possibly due to the sights) I wonder if the S & W is accurate.  

The S&W’s are higher priced because, IMHO, they are “supposed” to be built better. I say “supposed to be” because my Model 60 Pro had to be returned for some bush league BS repairs. Anyway, your statement about “They both go bang” is like saying “Why is a Cadillac more money than a Chevy? They both drive down the highway.”

I have found S&W’s to be accurate when I did my part. Snubbies take some serious practice but once you figure them out they are fairly accurate as defense guns.

I have a 442, a model 36 and a 60 Pro. 

Don't discount the Kimber k6 revolver. It's 6 shots of 357 muscle. It carries like a 5 shot due to the unique cylinder shape. Its pretty accurate too. I tapped one of our cowboy pistol targets at about 100 yards with cowboy loads. You can get a used one for 700 give or take 50 bucks.

If you're on a tighter budget, don't forget Taurus. I've got seven of the things, and can't complain about any of them.  Are they as nice as a S&W? No. Are they built like a Ruger? No. But they work. And while the trigger isn't as nice as the S&W, with a little practice, and a few hundred rounds, it's certainly workable. 

SIDE NOTE: The ones I have are older and well broken in. I know that the newer guns from Taurus have had problems, but mine are way before that. 

The last two I bought I got at a pawn shop for $500 out the door. For the PAIR!

On 1/31/2019 at 9:16 PM, Trigger Mike said:

I've been looking at Ruger LCR in 9mm and 22 magnum.  A Ruger LCR goes for 450-500 for both calibers.  The 9mm holds 5 rounds.  The 22 magnum holds 6.  I then saw the S & W 351 PD in 22 magnum and it is 700 but has a fiber optic sight and holds 7 rounds and fits the hand better and is lighter.  The S & W short barreled 9mm revolver is over 900 but holds 7 rounds (not sure how it feels in the hand as I have never seen one) .  Why is the S & W so much higher in comparison?  They both go bang.  I do know from experience that the Ruger 9mm is reliable but not accurate compared to a charter arms and has a wide group (possibly due to the sights) I wonder if the S & W is accurate.  

An LCR vs. a 351PD is an apples and oranges type comparison. The LCR has a lot of polymer in addition to the aluminum, and is more comparable to the M&P Bodyguard revolver. The 351PD is an AirWeight J-Frame, with more bells and whistles than the LCR, including the fiber optic front sight and wooden grips. I haven't held a 351PD yet, but the triggers on other AirWeight J-Frames I've had the opportunity to look at have been better than the LCR by a noticeable margin, and by my understanding can be made better still.

I believe if you check, Charter Arms also does a snub nose revolver in .33WMR and 9mm, although they use a retaining spring system for the 9mm which foregoes the use of moon clips. This can be an advantage in some ways, but moon clips make for fast reloads.

As always, ask yourself what your intended use is. If it is for defensive carry, can you hit center mass at seven yards with it reliably?

Ive tried the CHrter arms and found it more accurate than the Ruger and I liked not needing moon clips but a Charter Arms does not shoot shot shells.  It jams the cylinder and when I called the company they told me it was not safe to shoot them in their pistols.  I got rid of it and haven't looked back.  The Ruger seems front heavy and top heavy compared to the Smith.  I like the Ruger though.  I can hit the letter "O" in the word "For" on a For sale by owner sign with the Smith not as well with the Ruger 9mm LCR.  I can hit a 2 inch diameter Oak tree with groups with the 22 mag at 7 yards.  haven't tried it with the Ruger but will

I have several S&W revolvers.  I carried a 649 for years before switching to a Glock.

Take a look at a Ruger SP101 or a GP100.  Both of these stainless Rugers are great revolvers and are easy to drop a spring kit in for a much better trigger pull.

On 2/2/2019 at 3:16 PM, Alpo said:

I'm a bit lost with this statement.

From CCI's site:

That is Caliber, muzzle velocity, pellet size, shot weight in grains, number of rounds in a box

Detail     3790     9mm Luger     1450     #12     53     10
Detail     3712CC     Big 4™ 9mm Luger     1000     #4     45     10
Detail     3738     38 Spl/357 Mag**     1000     #9     100     10
Detail     3714CC     Big 4 38 Spl/357 Mag**     1000     #4     84     10

Notice 9mm has a massive FIFTY THREE GRAINS of #12 DUST (the exact same load as a 22 magnum), while the 38 has 100 grains (almost twice as much) of #9, which is shot big enough to actually do something.

Now, I've got a 940, and I like it, but if I was gonna carry a J frame for snakes, it'd be a 642. Lightweight, stainless and aluminum so it won't rust when I sweat on it, and 38 special because of the larger payload.

I alway took the number you are referring to as pellet count rather than grain weight.   Makes more sense that way.

Something for everyone to consider:

Factory 9mm comes crimped for semiautomatic pistols. You probably will experience kenetic bullet pulling with these loads shot out of a revolver. The bullets will work their way out of the case with each shot fired. This may or may not be a show stopper for your particular load. Best practice is to fire all rounds in the moonclip and never recycle ammunition. You could get a FCD and run your ammunition through that, but that's a lot of work for some folks. 

4 hours ago, Noz said:

I alway took the number you are referring to as pellet count rather than grain weight.   Makes more sense that way.

#12 shot,

weight 0.19 grains,

diameter 0.05"

So, 53 pellets at 0.19 grains each would give a shot charge weighing ten grains.

Would that little weight even allow the burning powder to build up gas pressure?

Archived