SASS Wire Forum

S & W 351 PD 22 mag

Trigger Mike

Trigger-----are they a lot larger than the little NAA mini's and are they d/a ??-----Reason I'm asking is I'm fixing to buy our daughter  a 22 pistol of some kind-----she is a adult but kinda tiny-----my snub nose 38 is too much recoil for her---my way o thinking is d/a revolvers are highly preffered over semi's----------Dirty

Just my opinion, but I really like the S&W M&P compact .22 semi-auto.

and a close 2nd is the Ruger SR22.

Both are DA/SA capability and super reliable with high velocity stuff.

Both have 10 round mags.

The S&W manual safety is an UP for safe and flip down to fire.

The Ruger manual safety is Down for safe and push up to fire.

I prefer the S&W style.

Please Note:  neither are .22 magnum.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I like the no recoil the article mentioned.  I may see if the dealer will make a trade

Recoil is subjective, just like noise levels for those with sensitive hearing or no hearing.

I've shot heavy magnum handguns with no perceived 'harsh' recoil.

Then a friend would shoot the same handgun and complain about recoil.

..........Widder

AW WWW--Lumpy to me it's true---I'll go for my revolvers first any time----love them wheel guns------yeah I'll agree I can reload about any of my calibs. cheaper than store bought 22 mags  but daughter can't handle recoil of bigger calibs & 22 mag has a little more k/d power than just a 22 lr-----not buying it for targets or fun shooting----strictly for self defense-----i'll just have to eat the extra expense of buying factory ammo  til she learns how to handle a gun!  & for now don't even wanna think about her having to let hammer safely down on a live round in a s/a  so it's gotta be a d/a !

Have put a lot of ammo through my Ruger SR22    Feeds anything and do not remember any jams.   Really like the look of the new long slide SR22 and hope they will offer an upper package to install on my lower.    GW

Hey Dirty Low Down, just some info on the 22 magnum for you -- While an officer we watched training videos of real traffic stops mostly from the officers dash cam and a S.C. trooper fresh from the Marines pulls over an overweight GA boy moving pot .  The suspect shot the officer twice with a 22 magnum pocket gun and the officer responded with 6 rounds from his 357 magnum.  The officer was buried but the suspect still lives on death row.  SO 22 magnum can do the job.  His shots hit just below the bullet proof vest and one round under the arm pit above the vest.  It does not have forceful knockdown but sadly the officer stumbled backwards and down.  Obviously that video left an impression, as it was meant to.  I went to youtube and saw some videos on the gun in question and from the videos I saw the recoil looked minimal so it might be a good fit 

15 minutes ago, Dirty Low Down sass 23492 said:

AW WWW--Lumpy to me it's true---I'll go for my revolvers first any time----love them wheel guns------yeah I'll agree I can reload about any of my calibs. cheaper than store bought 22 mags  but daughter can't handle recoil of bigger calibs & 22 mag has a little more k/d power than just a 22 lr-----not buying it for targets or fun shooting----strictly for self defense-----i'll just have to eat the extra expense of buying factory ammo  til she learns how to handle a gun!  & for now don't even wanna think about her having to let hammer safely down on a live round in a s/a  so it's gotta be a d/a !

Both Speer and Hornady make defensive rounds for the .22 WMR. The reviews I've read about the Speer indicate they give pretty impressive expansion. If one comes my way and the money is right, I can see getting one of the S&Ws.

I have one.  Very light, and next to no recoil.  Does bark a bit, but that's why you have hearing protection.  Downside is that ammo is expensive, but the new Hornady Critical Defense .22 WMR hits 1000 fps out of the 1 7/8th inch barrel and gets loads of penetration in gel. 

Back in the day Bill Jordan advocated for a light .22 mag j-frame as a good back up gun for law enforcement.

Archived