SASS Wire Forum

Martin 1894 New Model

Hot Iron Hill

1 minute ago, Hot Iron Hill said:

Howdy all,

I found great deal on a New Marlin 1894CB non-JM in .357. Are the non Jm’s okay? 

Hot Iron Hill 

It depends. If it's made within the last year it's probably good; several have reported the latest batch of Remington made Marlins are fine. If it was made more than a year ago, then probably not worth looking at. 

49 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

It depends. If it's made within the last year it's probably good; several have reported the latest batch of Remington made Marlins are fine. If it was made more than a year ago, then probably not worth looking at. 

It was either made in the last year or it’s 9-10 years old. 

Spotty QC at best.

You really need to do a hands on. How does the action feel when you cycle it??

The very latest ones seem to be a step in the 'rite' direction for Rem.

The older Remlin's are junk...........

OLG

47 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Spotty QC at best.

You really need to do a hands on. How does the action feel when you cycle it??

The very latest ones seem to be a step in the 'rite' direction for Rem.

The older Remlin's are junk...........

OLG

This is but one example I have seen.

Here is picture of some of that fine JM Marlin quality everybody reminisces about. Notice the excellent finish on that bolt complete with tooling marks.

MarlinA.jpg.47d25654e1e301979fa7413d09d02575.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Here is picture of some of that fine JM Marlin quality everybody reminisces about. Notice the excellent finish on that bolt complete with tooling marks.

They hold onto the oil-:P

OLG

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Those are 'refined and custom' grease grooves..... :lol::lol:

..........Widder

My point is that JM Marlins have risen to mythical status when it comes to fit, function and finish. Reality is that they were no better or worse than any other firearm.

The Rifles made from the time shortly before Marlin was sold up through 2017 have real problems. Mostly because the new owners failed to understand that Marlin was turning out hand fitted firearms and not mass produced ones. Worn out tooling and machinists that made parts according to their own notes and not from standardized drawings resulted in the new owners getting taken big time. Given the state that Marlin was in, I am suprised that the brand survived

I truly believe that 1894 Marlins produced in 2018 and later are every bit as good as any other rifle we use for CAS. Because we use firearms in ways that manufacturers DO NOT design for, minor flaws that wouldn't be an issue for the average shooter are major problems when the firearms are used for CAS. When that minor issue is discovered in a Marlin we slam the new rifles for their lack of QC yet over look and dismiss similar QC issues with other manufacturers.

I spent a lot of time and effort getting my JM stamped 1895 to the point where it could be cycled with the same speed as my wife's 1894. Not a single issue I corrected would have been noticed by anyone that was not a CAS shooter but were MAJOR problems for me. I lost count of how many times I locked the action up tight because the rounds were too slow coming out of the magazine onto the carrier. Simply because of how fast I was cycling the action and I am not a fast shooter by any stretch of the imagination. Today my 1895 is one slick rifle as are the 4 92s that I own.

2 hours ago, Hot Iron Hill said:

Howdy all,

I found great deal on a New Marlin 1894CB non-JM in .357. Are the non Jm’s okay? 

Hot Iron Hill 

Look up the Month and year of manufacture using the link below. If it was made in 2018 I would buy it. If made before 2018 I would pass.

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/1894/333274-new-marlin-mr-serial-number-date-manufacture.html

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-years-manufacture/435529-how-read-new-marlin-production-year.html

Since all current production firearms are assembled from CNC produced parts, other than fit of stock, forearm stock & finish the quality should be very high.  The only possible fly in the ointment is if they don't sample parts frequently enough to find out of spec tooling.

Archived