SASS Wire Forum

For deletion

Ask for a specific list of the pros and cons, and the actual risk involved. Ask if another doctor can give an opinion as well. Err on the side of caution.

Ask your nurse; she and the other nurses know which are the good docs and which aren’t. When you can talk confidentially of course.

7 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I posted last week about my C-3/4/5 fusion surgery.  I’ll skip the details except to say that my 1-2 day stay has turned ten days with no definite end, but the end will come when the doctor is “sure” that a certain risk is gone. 

Personally, I feel the risk is much smaller than he lets on. I more believe he is milking a patient with good insurance.

im debating checking out AMA and was wondering what thoughts others might have. 

Charley, 

If that doctor is "milking" the insurance that is fraud, and he would be in more trouble than Mick Jaeger with chapped lips.  I seriously doubt he would take that risk.

Ask him exactly what is causing the risk and what you should do to mitigate it.  And it never hurts to get a second opinion from another doctor.

Good Luck,

Duffield

Howdy pard.

Ive had several such and YOU need to listen to your doc.

You feel fine because he is doing a good job with your pain meds.

I had a similar experience after very serious surgery.

I felt fine and wanted to go for a drive.

A nurse stopped me and put me back in bed.

If you aren't in pain that does NOT mean you are ready for action.

Just have your pain meds turned off and see how you feel then.

I double dare ya.

Best

CR

3 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy pard.

Ive had several such and YOU need to listen to your doc.

You feel fine because he is doing a good job with your pain meds.

I had a similar experience after very serious surgery.

I felt fine and wanted to go for a drive.

A nurse stopped me and put me back in bed.

If you aren't in pain that does NOT mean you are ready for action.

Just have your pain meds turned off and see how you feel then.

I double dare ya.

Best

CR

I'll testify ta that.  Most surgeon's take their work and the health and recovery of their patient's very serious.  Not to mention there could possibly be problems with your insurance coverage later if something goes wrong if ya sign AMA and check out againts your doc's order's.  Hang in there Charlie.

Howdy.

Two days you say? Ten..eleven..??

Tell ya what, you keep posting and when you git to the number of 

days that I was in, I will tell you.

THEN you can go after that doc if he is milking ….whatever.

o ya, and by the way, you can check with your doc on this.....

But if you mess up your back I bet your doc will verify you WOULD be 

paralyzed from that spot down.  As in NOTHING works. Meaning NOTHING.

Best

CR

Having spent nearly 5 months in the hospital and rehabilitation center learning how to walk again in 1992 after numerous spinal surgeries  my vote is for you to stay put. I have my doubts that your doctor would be milking the insurance company. His concern is your wellbeing and recovery and having you in the hospital gives him the control and monitoring he needs to ensure this happens. In my case I was sent to a rehab hospital before my incision had fully healed and the rehab doctor did not follow my surgeons treatment orders and the incision got infected and 11 days later I had to be rushed back to the hospital and undergo another major operation and six weeks of very  expensive IV antibiotic treatments to stop the infection.

Stay there Charlie!!!

Charlie:

I would suggest you stay; however, having said that, there are ways to make your stay in the hospital more pleasant.

The first, and most important would be to have your room re-decorated. :D

I would suggest something with a cowboy theme, such as this: :wub:

447462414_Cowboythemedbedroom.jpg.800bf8a52e82cad037c2606ba48be779.jpg

I can already see you feeling more comfortable and at ease. :P

Next, I would have someone purchase you a western shootout target game.

This way you can keep your shooting skills intact when you are released. ;)

250156024_Shootinggallerygame.JPG.0ac83172a72eb7f5e2c6d78f37400918.JPG

Place game on food tray and put at the end of the bed.

Here's hoping this cheered you up a bit, and pray you will have a speedy recovery. :)

Stay Put! If you leave without the doctors release and something was to happen, all expenses will be on you. Plus that doctor will never work with you again and under the table you will be black balled where more than likely no other surgeon will accept you as a patient. Insurance may also drop you. Give it a good thought but the decision will be yours. 

When I trained as an EMT-SS (Texas no longer has this category) one of the things they taught us was, "C-1 through 5, keep you alive,"  meaning those vertebrae are very important to your continued breathing.  

While I don't know the details of your surgery anything that involved these is very serious.  

Stay put and dig out some western novels

and as you know the C-spine are in your neck whereas the T- and L-vertebrae are in your back and lower back respectively

I did this about 10 yrs ago.

Had a HA( I was dead-Ima Schofield brought me back with CPR)and could not get any personnel to ans any questions. Never even saw a MD outside of the ER either. :angry:

Day 3-I said KMA, and left. :lol:

Told the insurance company-I never paid a dime.

6 mos later-The entire admin of said hosp was fired along with several MD's...........:rolleyes:

OLG

14 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I posted last week about my C-3/4/5 fusion surgery.  I’ll skip the details except to say that my 1-2 day stay has turned ten days with no definite end, but the end will come when the doctor is “sure” that a certain risk is gone. 

Personally, I feel the risk is much smaller than he lets on. I more believe he is milking a patient with good insurance.

im debating checking out AMA and was wondering what thoughts others might have. 

I work in the health insurance industry.  I do not believe any insurance company will allow a hospital to keep a patient in the hospital longer then the standard number of days for a given procedure without having it medically justified.  So it approaches certainty that someone at the hospital has gone back to your insurance company and extended the authorization for your stay and gave ample justification for the extended stay.  

The likelihood of the doctor or the hospital "milking" the insurance company is zero, there are too many civil & criminal penalties if they are caught.

On edit:  While I am not a lawyer, I strongly suspect that if you do sign out AMA and end up paralyzed or dead, you or your heirs will NOT be able to sue the doctor or hospital for damages.

If I was being sarcastic, I'd say, "Go ahead and leave.  Just be sure your will is made out and the wording for your tombstone's epitaph included!" This is nothing to fool around with!  I've known of people released too early from the hospital...mainly because the insurance companies insisted on it..,who had to be readmitted in very serious condition, resulting in the insurance company getting hit for more!  If you have any doubts as to your doctor's assessment of your health, ALWAYS seek a second or even a third opinion.  If your doctor objects to having a consultation with another physician...FIRE THE S.O.B.!  As far a competent medical treatment in a given facility is concerned, my wife had two surgeries at a major medical center in Denver, where she was told they had gotten "clear margins" for treatment of cancerous tumors, only to be called a week after each surgery to be told they did NOT get "clear margins"!  We then went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, where she had additional surgery on the same site, where the doctors went back and forth with the pathologist four times while she was under before they declared "clear margins"! Thankfully, she is fine 10 years later (knock on wood!).  I had problems myself with this same local facility, and consulted with Mayo, determining there was no problem!

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery!

If you were totally new to firearms and I was an experienced instructor who told you to never point a gun at anyone even if you were sure it was unloaded...... would you listen to me?

Archived