SASS Wire Forum

Wonder what would happen - bungee jump with a non-stretch rope

Alpo

Just put in Demolition Man.

Stallone jumps out the back of a helicopter attached to a 75 - 100-foot rope.

When he hit the end of it, he just stopped. Hung there shooting at the bad guys.

Seemed to me that when he hit the end of the rope, it shoulda broke him in two.

I can only say that I used to do a lot of rappelling as a hobby. Even using the army braided line that had a lot of elasticity, if you were bounding and pulled in your brake hand too quickly and came to a sudden stop, it would hurt. Using static line that had next to no stretch could be downright painful. I remember watching a guy slip on a rappel, and the guy belaying pulled hard to stop his fall. It knocked the wind out of him, and when he got to the bottom, he was sore (from the jerk of stopping hard and from smacking into the cliff wall, to be fair) and pretty well done for the day. The entire story is actually cause for laughter among those of us who were there, but would take awhile to explain.

4 minutes ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

I have never used a non-stretch rope to jump out of a helicopter.  Next time I jump out of one I will use a non-stretch, will let you know what happens.

Blackfoot:P

Write to tell us that you will do it. Then if we don’t see another post ...........

1 minute ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Wasn't there ia tribe in South America that jumped off platforms with vines tied to their ankles?

Imis

Yep, if the vine was too long they got termnal whiplash. 

Blackfoot

4 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

bungee jump with a non-stretch rope

Isnt that the euphemism for a hanging? 

It is now.

31 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Wasn't there ia tribe in South America that jumped off platforms with vines tied to their ankles?

Imis

The platforms they jumped from were designed to collapse giving a bungee cord effect.

8 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Imis

South Pacific Island of Vanuatu, just north of New Caledonia.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/vanuatu-land-divers/index.html

8 hours ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

I have never used a non-stretch rope to jump out of a helicopter.  Next time I jump out of one I will use a non-stretch, will let you know what happens

Why jump out of a perfectly good helicopter?

3 hours ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

Why jump out of a perfectly good helicopter?

He wouldn’t. :P

Just in case anyone actually tries it in real life :blink:  The spine would be completely transected at the point on the body that the rope was attached.  There's a perfectly good chance the body itself would be pulled apart... Red rain on all those below.  Blood, gore and gnashing of teeth...

Crush your vertebrae, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of your women... !!

On 1/31/2019 at 12:29 AM, Major Crimes said:

bungee jump with a non-stretch rope

Isnt that the euphemism for a hanging? 

Yep, those bad guys hanged by their feet got what’s comin’ to ‘em! Filthy rascals! :P

Archived