SASS Wire Forum

Going to EOT

Creeker, SASS #43022

I'm trying to put my stuff together to go to EOT this year. 

Never been before and I'm finally in a position to go and take my girls (Painted Lady and Desert Scorpion) with me.

So I'm looking at lodging; do we stay in Moriarty or Albuquerque?

Any suggestions or definite stay aways?

We like to "tourist" beyond just playing cowboy when we make trips - any suggestions for things we HAVE to see while we are there?

We are planning on driving in on Tuesday and leaving Sunday.

Thanks for any and all input. 

There is still room at the Comfort Inn in Edgewood, just down the road from the ranch. 

The tram ride up the mountain in the evening is pretty good, as well as old town.

Jax T

Albuquerque is about 25 miles west of the ranch.  Not a long drive, but it's easier to stay in Edgewood or Moriarty.  There are some nice shopping areas in ABQ and those as Jax mentioned above.  As you probably know, the climate there is very dry.  Bring nasal spray and keep hydrated.  

1st Choice on motels: Comfort Inn in Edgewood.  Its new and the closest to FR.  Book soon and ask for the special EOT rate!

2nd Choice: Motels in Moriarty.  The Sunset Inn is handy for unloading and loading shooting gear as you park right in front of your room.

3rd Choice: motels on Eubank just north of I-40.

Last choice: motels at the east end of Central (too many auto burglaries there).  Also motels further west than Eubank as they will unnecessarily increase your drive time to FR.

Three unique museums in ABQ: national atomic museum on south Eubank, the balloon museum in north ABQ and the Indian Peublo Cultural Center.  The Tinkertown museum on the east side of the mountains is available if you have just a little time.  If you have a full day available a trip to Santa Fe is worthwhile.  Bring plenty of shotgun shells and shoot sporting clays at the ranch.  The Bakers have some fun courses (and you can meet Shotgun Clay).  If your children are young enough, the ABQ Biopark would interest them.  There is an aquarium, zoo, butterfly house and botanical garden.

You are used to desert dryness so the low humidity should not bother your family.  You already know how to dress and stay hydrated.  FR is higher than your home range and will be cooler than southern Nevada in June. 

There are some pretty nice Air B&B’s available also if you’d like to stay in a more homelike setting. We rented a condo last year for 5 of us and it came out to about $250.00 per person for the entire week. We had a great time.

I enjoyed the Turquoise Trail, linking Albuquerque to Santa Fe. Kind of a back road, winding 50 or 60 miles through foothills. Passes through a half dozen or so little edge of the road towns.

http://www.turquoisetrail.org/

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I enjoyed the Turquoise Trail, linking Albuquerque to Santa Fe. Kind of a back road, winding 50 or 60 miles through foothills. Passes through a half dozen or so little edge of the road towns.

http://www.turquoisetrail.org/

This ^

Sandia Peak

Tent Rocks National Monument

Bandelier National Monument

5 hours ago, Jax T said:

The tram ride up the mountain in the evening is pretty good, as well as old town.

Jax T

Jax T.... you'll be visiting our camp I'm assuming?? ;)

No time for that culture type shenanigans :lol:

Captain,

Can't wait to visit again. Have not had a tiny beer since last year!!!! You are right, no time for culture.

11 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

As you probably know, the climate there is very dry.  Bring nasal spray and keep hydrated.  

He’s been a match director in Las Vegas for years. He’s usually the one warning people about those things. :lol:

If you have your own 4-wheeler and like being able to get around the ranch quickly (1 mile square almost, and any direction you try to go it's uphill), bring it.   I'll bet you can even arrange to park it at the ranch if you want to roam NM before or after the match and not drag it along.

If you like ancient Indian astronomy, Chaco Canyon (2.5 hours from the ranch) is quite cool.

El Morro has rock carved signatures back to some of the Spanish Conquistadors.

Bandelier, Carslbad Caverns, White Sands, Roswell alien museum are conventional tourist destinations, a half day drive (and plus) distance for those.

Two scenic high-mountain steam powered trains in Durango and Chama.  Can even go dressed SASS if you want.

I'd say a week other than at EOT would be about right.   :lol:

All depends upon what turns your drive wheels. 

Good luck, GJ

Archived