SASS Wire Forum

Need help with dillon 650

gunrunner joe #17093

Is anyone having trouble with a 650. have been using this press for 15 years now. The last time i used it the primer were not seating all the way it to the pock. Call dillon and they change [23] Punch support bracket. Now thw seater assembly only push up even with the shellplate. So, if the shell move up the primer does not go all the way it to the pock. there is know move in the plate when seat the primer

Try tightening the large center bolt on the shell plate as much as possible. This will stop the shell plate from rocking. 

If your primer anvil is not centered in the black shell plate that can cock the primers and they will not seat all the way.  This can be adjusted by moving the cam on the left side of the press rearward or forward. 

Lift the platform and look on the left side right underneath it for the set screw.  Loosen it but do not take out.  Then work with center bolt.  Once you have the shellplate down fairly snug but still able to move freely you need to tighten up that set screw.

1 minute ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

The little screw on the left of the column that keeps the shell plate bolt from backing out.

Dang.  Been loading on a 650 for 20 years, pulling the bolt out hundreds of times and never knew that was there.  I thought the ejector spring was what provided the tension to hold the bolt in place.

I'm no expert, but I think that screw/bolt whatever the heck it is, provides the tension to keep the shell plate bolt from backing itself out, or torquing itself down as you're operating the machine.  I do know for sure that if you don't loosen it before screwing around with the shell plate bolt you can get the thing out of alignment.  I got that from a Dillon rep.

I did tight the center bolt down till plate did not move back it off very very little thill plate move but did not drage and the plate does not wobble . I used a dillon gauge to set the alignment of the primer

Call Dillon and they can not come up with an answer. they ask if i was using after mark parts i ma not 

thank everyone for helping but we still have a puzzle to solve.    

If the primer anvil is not centered in the shell plate hole this can cause a problem also.  The small black cam driver on the left side of the unit just below the shell plate with 2 allen bolts can adjust this by moving it forward or rearward.  On a 650-instruction manual page 48 item 18 is the part you adjust. If the primers are going in off angle this will help.  This is not the hole the primers set in when indexing.

I started to have issues with seating primers. Tried the alignment tool . I just replaced the small black cam diver and the majority of the problems have gone away. I purchase an after market one with a roller that someone on the wire talked about. It seems  smoother now when working the 650.

Nawlins

I rebuilt this press twice. due to worn out parts. Been using the 650 for over 15 years talk to Dillon and we bought drew a blank  After talking to them went back and reset it  up like it was a new press 

I am checking what everyone is telling me to look for just in case i miss something

Thank for all of your help   

I had an identical problem with a 550. I don't know how the 650 is constructed, so it might not be anything of the sort, but on the bottom of the 550, there are two bolts holding the "shell guide" in place. One had backed out, blocking the ram from coming all the way down.

Dillon.jpg

Tightening the bolt to the point that the wobble is gone is not possible without binding the shell plate.  To eliminate any wobble & simultaneously reduce the indexing snap purchase a thrust bearing & light weight indexing ball & spring kit on eBay.  Hoe do I know this? Been There Done That when adding upgrades to reduce the amount of Trail Boss grains flying out of 38/357 & 45C cases.

This is going to seem too obvious, but the handle isn't bumping something so it won't go up far enough.?     GW

Archived